Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [CNET] LimeWire strikes back in court against RIAA
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNET] LimeWire strikes back in court against RIAA - Page 5

post #41 of 47
This is ridiculous. If people really like the songs/software, they'll buy them...
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 47
When you buy something, it belongs to you. You should be able to share as much as you want.

Is it illegal to invite friends over to your house to listen to a CD or watch a movie? No, it isn't. It's only illegal if you stole the DVD from a store---the disc and casing cost money to manufacture. However, when you transfer the file over the internet, nobody gains or loses any money. The original file is still there, and it can be duplicated and sold an unlimited amount of times. NOTHING has been stolen. Therefore, there is no logical reason for file sharing to be against the law.

Sure, the creators of the content are bound to be buttfrustrated. But making somebody angry is not against the law either. I can understand why so many people want to punish those who download free media, but it's unjust and unfair to do so until we completely change the definition of the word "stealing".

Forcing people to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for "stealing" a few 99 cent mp3 files isn't going to change anything (in fact, the way I see it, it violates the 8th amendment to the US Constitution, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishments). The only way to encourage people to buy discs is with positive reinforcement. Include exclusive content with the discs---something physical that is impossible to copy. Reward people for buying the disc; don't punish people who download it for free.

Sadly, this is never going to happen, and people are still going to be charged ludicrous fines for downloading music
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k @ 4.1 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Asus Radeon 7850 DirectCU II 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB (OS & Programs) WD Caviar Black 500GB (Games) Seagate Barracuda 750GB (Files) Corsair H100i with SP120 Quiet Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Technical Preview HP 2311x 23" (Dual Monitors) Logitech MK520 Antec TP-650 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech M310 Asus Xonar DG Blue Yeti USB Mic 
OtherOtherOther
Line 6 POD Studio GX Wacom Bamboo Pen Logitech C910 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4770k @ 4.1 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Asus Radeon 7850 DirectCU II 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB (OS & Programs) WD Caviar Black 500GB (Games) Seagate Barracuda 750GB (Files) Corsair H100i with SP120 Quiet Fans 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Technical Preview HP 2311x 23" (Dual Monitors) Logitech MK520 Antec TP-650 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech M310 Asus Xonar DG Blue Yeti USB Mic 
OtherOtherOther
Line 6 POD Studio GX Wacom Bamboo Pen Logitech C910 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 47
Why aren't they suing Google instead?

I mean, thats how a lot of people found Limewire.

Or why not sue Microsoft for providing an Operating System that allows this content to be played back?

Seriously, these RIAA guys are just stupid. They might as well just sue ARPA (or whoever 'invented' the internet) for providing a platform to allow digital content to be shared...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4850HQ  Yes GT 750M 16GB Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
512GB SSD 1TB Buffalo Drivestation OSX Mavericks 15" 2880 x 1800 IPS 
MouseOther
Magic Mouse Mobee Magic Charger 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-4850HQ  Yes GT 750M 16GB Corsair 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
512GB SSD 1TB Buffalo Drivestation OSX Mavericks 15" 2880 x 1800 IPS 
MouseOther
Magic Mouse Mobee Magic Charger 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 47
It's pretty sad people don't exercise their own rights. I forget which amendment it is, but it protects people from extreme pentalty's like this where they'll never be able to pay it back.
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 4790K GA-Z97X-SOC Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 4790K GA-Z97X-SOC Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post
When you buy something, it belongs to you. You should be able to share as much as you want.
The information on the disk (or in a file) does not belong to you--you do not own it. You may own the media on which the information is stored, but you do not own the information--the artist and recording studio do, and they always will unless you purchase the rights to own the content from them. When you "buy" an album or song, you're paying for the licensing of the information contained in it within the terms of the agreement. You do not own the information (in this case, a song).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post
Is it illegal to invite friends over to your house to listen to a CD or watch a movie? No, it isn't. It's only illegal if you stole the DVD from a store---the disc and casing cost money to manufacture. However, when you transfer the file over the internet, nobody gains or loses any money. The original file is still there, and it can be duplicated and sold an unlimited amount of times. NOTHING has been stolen. Therefore, there is no logical reason for file sharing to be against the law.
Inviting friends to a private residence to watch a movie is not illegal, as is described in the disclaimer for the license of the media. You may not copy/distribute it, or use it for a public showing.

The intellectual property from the creators (and owners, recording studio) has been stolen. Just because it's not tangible material that you can touch doesn't mean theft hasn't occurred. Let's say you see a "confidential" folder that contains all of someone's invention designs. You read it, remember it, and go and design an identical invention. Guess what--you stole their intellectual property, despite the fact that you didn't take anything physical. Even if you didn't go and make an invention with it, you've still illegally obtained the information contained in it, since you didn't have rights to knowing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post
Sure, the creators of the content are bound to be buttfrustrated. But making somebody angry is not against the law either. I can understand why so many people want to punish those who download free media, but it's unjust and unfair to do so until we completely change the definition of the word "stealing".

Forcing people to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for "stealing" a few 99 cent mp3 files isn't going to change anything (in fact, the way I see it, it violates the 8th amendment to the US Constitution, which prohibits cruel and unusual punishments). The only way to encourage people to buy discs is with positive reinforcement. Include exclusive content with the discs---something physical that is impossible to copy. Reward people for buying the disc; don't punish people who download it for free.

Sadly, this is never going to happen, and people are still going to be charged ludicrous fines for downloading music
LOL, that's just stupid--rewarding people for doing what they're supposed to do, and not punishing people for doing something they're not supposed to do? That is the dumbest idea I've ever heard. If you're not punished for doing something illegal, hardly anyone will follow the rules. How about this for a reward: You get to listen to/watch the media you just payed to use. If you don't pay, you don't get to listen to or watch it. And if you obtain it illegally, you get in trouble. Admittedly, not as much as the absurd amounts people are being targeted for.

As much as I disagree with your opinion that nothing is being stolen and no harm is being done in the case of "illegal" file downloading, I agree with you that I think the way the industry is pursuing "violators" is atrocious. But given the situation and prolific "sharing" of media, I can't see them doing anything different, and I can't see the courts ruling in favor of obvious file-sharers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evostance View Post
Why aren't they suing Google instead?

I mean, thats how a lot of people found Limewire.

Or why not sue Microsoft for providing an Operating System that allows this content to be played back?

Seriously, these RIAA guys are just stupid. They might as well just sue ARPA (or whoever 'invented' the internet) for providing a platform to allow digital content to be shared...
The difference is that Google, Microsoft, etc., aren't encouraging such activities. Their services might make you able to do such things, but that's where the law comes in, and user agreements that you must agree to when you use such services that prohibit you from doing anything illegal with them (and hence absolve them from any liability). Limewire dude was already proven to have been openly encouraging specifically the sharing of music files despite violating the current laws. THAT'S the difference.

What the hell has happened to personal responsibility and accountability?

I hate the RIAA and how it acts. But you can't excuse people from doing something that is expressly prohibited by laws. The ability to do something does not grant you the right to do it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritanium View Post
When you buy something, it belongs to you. You should be able to share as much as you want.
its not sharing when there's one person with one copy among a group and it ends up with everyone in the group having a copy for themselves.

piracyisnotstealing.jpg
filesharingisnotsharing.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykeZ View Post
It's pretty sad people don't exercise their own rights. I forget which amendment it is, but it protects people from extreme pentalty's like this where they'll never be able to pay it back.
which is why you don't understand the law or the constitution and the rest of the people here continue to go download w/e they want and support malicious hacker groups
Edited by dontpwnmebro - 5/6/11 at 6:01pm
post #47 of 47
Its because of the recession. People want money
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [CNET] LimeWire strikes back in court against RIAA