Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Massively] SWTOR expected launch window confirmed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Massively] SWTOR expected launch window confirmed - Page 6

post #51 of 57
Isn't this the game they spent millions on voice talent and all this junk and they were going to scrap it cause it was just so terrible and didn't want to ruin their reputation or divorce their player base?

Yep thought I was remembering right. 300 million dollar explosion. Ouch.


"Going only by the handle of "EA Louse", a soon to be former employee at Electronic Arts, provides a tell-all about some of the inner workings at EA and why, he feels, Warhammer ended up being a monumental failure.

Furthermore, Louse explains why he believes Star Wars: The Old Republic will end up as the worst failure in the history of MMO's.

From the slams against the higher-ups, to his thoughts on the slap the face that was the marketing team for Warhammer, no subject is apparently off limits. If you want brutal, in your face honesty, you should definitely read this article.

My boss who will not be named, again and again would tell us that Rob Denton, one of the original owners, said we should “do this” and “do that” and we would say “omg it makes NO sense, please explain A, B, and C to him. “And then he’d come back and tell us, after we thought he had gone to talk with him,” No, Rob wants in this way. Jeff agrees, this is what we’re going to do. Understood? ” They never actually talked back to Rob. We didn’t talk back to them.

Rob said jump, our leaders said, “How high?! And on who?”

So we shut up and did what we were told, by people too afraid to tackle real problems. It is a culture of fear, especially since Mark Jacobs was fired.

Oh, he left voluntarily you say? No, he was fired, and everything placed on his shoulders by those closest to him so they could divide his salary and annual bonus. I bet Rob is enjoying that sweet new Maserati he bought after leaving the knife in his partner of 15 years.


About The Old Republic:

And Bioware? Don’t make me laugh. They’ve spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. **** you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?

And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch.

Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too...


Just wanted it to be known that the EA Louse was not going to be canned because of what was written here. EA Louse is already slated to be fired in the next string of layoffs at EA come November. His fate has long since been sealed, so his words of insight here were of no apparent matter to him given his situation.
Edited by Hephasteus - 5/8/11 at 4:28pm
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephasteus View Post
Isn't this the game they spent millions on voice talent and all this junk and they were going to scrap it cause it was just so terrible and didn't want to ruin their reputation or divorce their player base?
As far as I know, no.

Although they likely spent a good amount of money on the voice acting part,
I have yet to see an announcement that says they scraped it from the project.

In fact, from many trailers and showcase video's they praise their decision to use actual voice acting in the game, so the game is more similar to a single player game than MMO.
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulThief View Post
And they should!

It's kind of stupid to postpone an MMO release, MMO gamers seem to be more loyal than ordinary non-subscription gamers, if you postpone your game, and another MMO comes out and takes away your gamers you're screwed, not everybody is excited to pay a subscription fee, even less are excited to pay two subs.

With conventional games postponing because of competition is viable, because after a few weeks/months the audience is saturated with that game and are longing for more, that's when you want to release your game.

MMO's are built to be addictive and to be content rich, if you postpone your release there's even greater chance your audience is going to look elsewhere and possibly find their latest trend.
It's not being postponed because of the competition, it's being postponed because they're not quite ready to release it. They're still polishing the game and fixing bugs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephasteus View Post
Isn't this the game they spent millions on voice talent and all this junk and they were going to scrap it cause it was just so terrible and didn't want to ruin their reputation or divorce their player base?

Yep thought I was remembering right. 300 million dollar explosion. Ouch.


"Going only by the handle of "EA Louse", a soon to be former employee at Electronic Arts, provides a tell-all about some of the inner workings at EA and why, he feels, Warhammer ended up being a monumental failure.

Furthermore, Louse explains why he believes Star Wars: The Old Republic will end up as the worst failure in the history of MMO's.

From the slams against the higher-ups, to his thoughts on the slap the face that was the marketing team for Warhammer, no subject is apparently off limits. If you want brutal, in your face honesty, you should definitely read this article.

My boss who will not be named, again and again would tell us that Rob Denton, one of the original owners, said we should “do this†and “do that†and we would say “omg it makes NO sense, please explain A, B, and C to him. “And then he’d come back and tell us, after we thought he had gone to talk with him,†No, Rob wants in this way. Jeff agrees, this is what we’re going to do. Understood? †They never actually talked back to Rob. We didn’t talk back to them.

Rob said jump, our leaders said, “How high?! And on who?â€

So we shut up and did what we were told, by people too afraid to tackle real problems. It is a culture of fear, especially since Mark Jacobs was fired.

Oh, he left voluntarily you say? No, he was fired, and everything placed on his shoulders by those closest to him so they could divide his salary and annual bonus. I bet Rob is enjoying that sweet new Maserati he bought after leaving the knife in his partner of 15 years.


About The Old Republic:

And Bioware? Don’t make me laugh. They’ve spent more money making the Old Republic than James Cameron spent on Avatar. **** you not. More than $ 300 million! Can you believe that?

And you know what they’re most proud of? This is the kicker. They are most proud of the sound. No seriously. Something like a 20Gig installation, and most of it is voiceover work. That’s the best they have. The rest of the game is a joke. EA knows it and so does George Lucas,they’re panicking , and so most of Mythic has already been cannibalized to work in Austin on it because they can’t keep pushing back launch.

Old Republic will be one of the greatest failures in the history of MMOs from EA. Probably at the level of the Sims Online. We all know it too...


Just wanted it to be known that the EA Louse was not going to be canned because of what was written here. EA Louse is already slated to be fired in the next string of layoffs at EA come November. His fate has long since been sealed, so his words of insight here were of no apparent matter to him given his situation.
Lol. EA Louse comments about SWTOR have been discredited. The voice-overs will absolutely not be removed from the game.
Element
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0, 4.2 GHz EVGA x58 Classified E760 EVGA GTX 760 12 GB Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black LG Blu-Ray GBC-H20L Swiftech Apogee XT 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung T240 Samsung T240HD Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Naga X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Element
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 D0, 4.2 GHz EVGA x58 Classified E760 EVGA GTX 760 12 GB Corsair Dominator 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD Western Digital Caviar Black LG Blu-Ray GBC-H20L Swiftech Apogee XT 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 8.1 Pro Samsung T240 Samsung T240HD Logitech G110 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Enermax Revolution85+ 1050W Corsair Obsidian 800D Razer Naga X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavefunction View Post
It's not being postponed because of the competition, it's being postponed because they're not quite ready to release it. They're still polishing the game and fixing bugs.

Lol. EA Louse comments about SWTOR have been discredited. The voice-overs will absolutely not be removed from the game.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...blic-preview/1

I've been in early betas where half the content is missing. They can be a little empty feeling. I remember talking to a dev in anarchy online and him saying he expected 10k suscribers at first rising to 50k in 6 months. I laughed at him. Told him that if he was expecting that on release he was going to get hurt and hurt bad and that 50k people would be at their pipe on opening weekend. 60k showed up to destroy their rollout team. That was a 25 million dollar game that released way too early for one simple reason. Owner had every dime of his in it and nobody would loan them another 5 million to finish it. Initial sales put them in the black and they struggled along after that.
But this thing. This thing needs upwards of 300 to 400 thousand people to show up for it during a global recession with 20 percent unemployment. Even if they could get them they couldn't keep them. This thing will be paying banks interest till it dies.
It's not stand alone so modding community can't pull their bacon out of the fire. Given corporate staleness and disconnect from the community, I wouldn't be holding my breath.
MMO's rely on hyper competitiveness and tactical approaches. They just keep running off into who can drink the most jolt cola and jump through the most treadmills because repetitive algorythms are easier to code than scripted content. They might be able to pull 2 or 300 k off of WOW but I don't envy their position. It doesn't look good.
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
Goofy
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 4850e 2.4Ghz 22 watts 1.1v 1500HT 300FSB Gigabyte GA-M78SM-S2H What I'm Testing 2 2gb Geil PC6400 960MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Hitachi 160gb SATA-II Pioneer DVR 111D Redhat Core 12 x86_64, Windows XP HANNspree 20" 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitec Premium Desktop Mini-Box M3-ATX 120 Watt DC-DC Spire Logitec 
Mouse Pad
Xtrac 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephasteus View Post
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/20...blic-preview/1

I've been in early betas where half the content is missing. They can be a little empty feeling.

They might be able to pull 2 or 300 k off of WOW but I don't envy their position. It doesn't look good.
Betas aren't meant to test abundance of content or lack thereof, it's meant to test for bugs or irregularities that should be fixed before the game goes live.
To expect a feature rich game out of a beta is just plain blasphemy.

Not everybody on this earth plays WoW, if they'll be able to pull 300.000,00
people from WoW that's good, you're missing out on the millions of additional Star Wars geeks that are likely to join this game because it is -- Star Wars.
Then you also have the KOTOR group who see KOTR as the multiplayer KOTOR, just because one website fluked the game and you have a bad experience testing a beta (ffs) doesn't mean the game is going to fluke.
Edited by SoulThief - 5/9/11 at 4:37am
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hephasteus View Post
Quote:
Why bounty hunters can’t reap the benefits of crouching behind a crate to avoid bullets is as big a mystery as why lightsabers can’t even cut through un-armoured enemies on a single strike.
How can you take that seriously? This guy is obviously not an MMO player.

All the things he comments on scream noob
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad0314 View Post
How can you take that seriously? This guy is obviously not an MMO player.

All the things he comments on scream noob
Spot on, I've seen mobs being hammered by magic and swords in WoW, yet it didn't withhold them to still give the game a 9.

It's not because it's WoW however, it's because this guy is taking MMO greatly out of context by expecting third-person and first-person mechanics in an MMO
it's ridiculous.
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Artery
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4790k Asus Formula VII Ranger MSI GTX 980 Gaming 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Hitachi Windows 8.1 LG Flatron W2452T Full HD + Samsung 2433 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G105 Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W Antec Carbide R500 Logitech G502 
Audio
Creative X-FI Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Massively] SWTOR expected launch window confirmed