Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Tomsguide]Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Tomsguide]Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief - Page 14  

post #131 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahbrohn View Post
Then... I guess that's why no one intervened to try and help this woman, right? Someone might get hurt?

Video: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ec0_1303444048

News Report: http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/0...-co-mcdonalds/
A person was getting hurt...

as opposed to someone making off with two items.

BIG Difference.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
post #132 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
A person was getting hurt...

as opposed to someone making off with two items.

BIG Difference.
If the company is worried about getting sued, and not the moral nature of the crime, how would that be a different situation?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X3 720 @ 3.5 (1.39v) Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P ASUS 5850 @ 880/1180 (1.118v) 4gb 1333mhz G.Skill DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
64gb Crucial M4 SSD 3x 250gb WD2500JD - RAID0 1tb WD1001FALS 1tb WD10EARS 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Pioneer DLDVD/CDRW Arctic Freezer Pro 64 Win 7 64bit Ultimate E2305 LG 23" LED 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch II Ninja Tenkeyless Fortron BlueStorm II 500w CM 690II Advanced Razer DeathAdder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
generic Echo Miamidi PCI M-Audio BX5a Studio Monitors 
  hide details  
post #133 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
A person was getting hurt...

as opposed to someone making off with two items.

BIG Difference.
Ok, true. Big difference as you say but only because we know the facts of the described theft attempt. Now lets say that instead of two laptops from the showroom, the thief was making off with two laptops from the back office (he did come from there as it is) and these laptops had all of the credit card information of that days transactions on them... meaning... your personal information is now in this thief's hands?

Forget it... This is one of those topics that is like religion and politics and should never be discussed imo. My apologies to all for getting hyped up about something like this but I have had my life turned around because of an idiot thief like this. Someone did have the power to do something but "company policy" prevented him from doing anything.

Peace...
post #134 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by _02 View Post
If the company is worried about getting sued, and not the moral nature of the crime, how would that be a different situation?
You could see it as the company is worried about the safety of its employees vs the value of a thing.

Depends on how you think the company is looking at it.

we can go around and around all day on this.

Also, i bet if the suspect had been beating on a customer or an employee instead of stealing a laptop, the company would be much more laxed about the employee stepping in.
Edited by Sohryu76 - 5/6/11 at 11:41am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
post #135 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahbrohn View Post
Ok, true. Big difference as you say but only because we know the facts of the described theft attempt. Now lets say that instead of two laptops from the showroom, the thief was making off with two laptops from the back office (he did come from there as it is) and these laptops had all of the credit card information of that days transactions on them... meaning... your personal information is now in this thief's hands?

Forget it... This is one of those topics that is like religion and politics and should never be discussed imo. My apologies to all for getting hyped up about something like this but I have had my life turned around because of an idiot thief like this. Someone did have the power to do something but "company policy" prevented him from doing anything.

Peace...
it is very similiar to those topics...
but just because you asked... if it is a matter of a person getting himself stabbed or shot over my personal information... take it. It is like being on the street and someone trying to take my wallet at gun point. Guess what... they are going to get the darned thing.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
post #136 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsan View Post
I never know what to say about this.

Honestly he is not police and don't need to act like them. So many what ifs in the moment as it's a fight or flight situation.

I wish people would start not stopping for receipt checkers at walmart, as it violates your personal rights(sams club you enter a contract for them to do that). If they stop you(physically no matter how light)/hold you it's assault/false imprisonment simple as that. Once you buy something it's your personal property.
Obviously Sony doesn't think so with their PS3.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 @ 4.0; 1.228v ASUS P5Q-E HD6970 8GB Corsair 6400C5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80GB + WD 500 Raid 0 7 Professional SM 275T+2693HM+2343BWX Filco Blue and Brown 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX520 Lian Li PC-P80B Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q9650 @ 4.0; 1.228v ASUS P5Q-E HD6970 8GB Corsair 6400C5 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 80GB + WD 500 Raid 0 7 Professional SM 275T+2693HM+2343BWX Filco Blue and Brown 
PowerCaseMouse
Corsair HX520 Lian Li PC-P80B Razer Lachesis 
  hide details  
post #137 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohryu76 View Post
Depends on how you think the company is looking at it.
If they don't have to pay for his medical bills or anything if he is injured then they are doing it out of the safety of their employees.

However if they do have to pay for his medical expenses then they are obviously just trying to save more money.
Silence
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4ghz HT Asus Rampage III Extreme ATI 5830 Corsair Dominator GT 6gb CAS 7 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
50gb Vertex 2 - OS,1.5tb Storage Win7 64 bit Saitek Cyborg OCZ 700W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Define R3 Logitech G500 Steelseries Glass 
  hide details  
Silence
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 930 @ 4ghz HT Asus Rampage III Extreme ATI 5830 Corsair Dominator GT 6gb CAS 7 
Hard DriveOSKeyboardPower
50gb Vertex 2 - OS,1.5tb Storage Win7 64 bit Saitek Cyborg OCZ 700W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Define R3 Logitech G500 Steelseries Glass 
  hide details  
post #138 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kppanic View Post
Obviously Sony doesn't think so with their PS3.
Oh god, one argument is enough...
post #139 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ame_killer_2 View Post
From comments:

Quote:
Companies would rather pay the lost of 2 laptops, than be liable for injuries or even a death of an employee or robber if something had terribly gone wrong. Nothing to see here kids, move along.
Its true but I have to agree that firing him for this is kind of a overreaction.
In regards to the inner quote... The company wont pay a dime. Insurance would pay for the full amount of stolen goods. Its not worth it to the company to risk anything at all in that situation. Apply this logic to all of the other arguments in this thread also. The company couldn't care less about the loss. They won't pay a dime.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 970 ASUS P6T Deluxe eVGA GTX 680 6x4GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Boot R0: 2x256GB Corsair SSD; Scratch R0: 3x750GB Samsung 22x LightScribe DVD+/-DL [SATA] Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Dell 2407FPWx2 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 Antec TruPower Q 1KW Custom Fabricated 18" cube (Mountain Mods UFO) Logitech G9 Laser 
Mouse Pad
Faux Woodgrain (My Desk) 
  hide details  
post #140 of 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by [nK]Sharp View Post
If they don't have to pay for his medical bills or anything if he is injured then they are doing it out of the safety of their employees.

However if they do have to pay for his medical expenses then they are obviously just trying to save more money.
Eh... its all done through insurance at that point. Not really money out of the company's pocket.

But again. It is probably a mixture of the two. Like I said, if he helped stop someone from being hurt or maimed... he probably would still have a job. But he risked his own safety for a laptop against company policy.

And he admitted he knew it was against policy.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k OC'd 4.9GHz Asus P8P67-M PRo Asus GTX-560 Ti Direct CU II  PNY XLR8 8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA w/Lightscribe Corsair H60 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Acer G235HAbd 23'' WideScreen LCD monitor OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W Modular PSU Corsair Carbide Series 500R 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [Tomsguide]Best Buy Employee Fired for Stopping Laptop Thief