Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is my Core Temp too hot?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is my Core Temp too hot?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Introduction/Info:
First Time Overclocker!
Ok, so I upgraded piece by piece, and I understand that I didn't buy the best pieces possible, but this is all a learning experience. I might get a new HSF, but no other upgrades on this system, since I'm just going to build a whole new system in a 3-6 months anyways, and give this to my dad or something.

I thoroughly read the "official" AM2 overclock thread (written by Dirch) which is where I got 80% of my info.
http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/307316-offical-overclocking-guide-amd-socket-am2.html

I'm using CPU-Z and Orthos.

My overclock adventure:

Mobo: Asus M2A-VM
CPU: AMD (64 X2) Brisbane 2.6GHz

I don't plan on overclocking my memory. I just want to get my cpu to 3GHz at stable temps/voltages. I did isolated tests on the mobo and cpu. I got my Bus Speed to 269MHz. CPU I was able to hit 3.118GHz @ 1.4v (240MHz x13) with the Core Volt fluctuating up to 1.424. Orthos ran fine for 5 minutes, but temps hit up to 71C/68C on the 2 cores, so I thought I should try to get under 65C on load. This wasn't the max my CPU can hit, but I decided that 3GHz was fast enough for me.

I lowered the speed down to 3GHz @ 1.35v (231MHz x13 multiplier) and the voltage is kind of chilling at 1.328V. I have Orthos running as I am typing. It's been running for almost an hour now, and temps are steady at 71C and 68C.

Before overclocking, my load temps were idle at 61C/59C.

Question #1
If my system can withstand 24hrs of Orthos and temps stay at 71/68C, will it be safe to just keep it at this 3GHz setting?

Question #2A
Do I really really need a new HSF?
I already spent a total of $158 ($133 AR).(8800GT $50, mobo/cpu/hsf/mem $70, Antec PSU $38 ($23 AR). I don't want to spend any more money on this system.

If I do, then I wouldn't spend more than $20. I really want to save the rest of my money for my next system. Learning from my mistakes, if I bought a fan, then I'd probably buy a higher end $50ish-on-sale/rebates/refurb/used fan. I will be giving this system to someone within 2 years so I'd probably lower the clock and put this current fan in it.

Question #2B (If you answered yes on question #2A)
Should I get a $20 fan and just OC this guy to 3.2ish?
I'm almost certain that I can get this Brisbane to 3.2 stable if I can keep the temps lower.

Question #3
Is my memory safe?
Unintentionally, my DDR2-800MHz is overclocked to 857MHz @ 1.9v 5-5-5-18-24-2T. Stock voltage is 1.8v. I haven't run any other tests besides Orthos, but it seems like a pretty weak overclock to worry about my mem chips burning up.

Question #4
Should I OC it higher?
The temps for 3.118GHz are the exact same as 2.999GHz and so I don't see the harm. I think I can try to hit 3.2 with the same temps/voltages as 3.118GHz, not sure.

Any other advice, input, wisdom, constructive criticism, etc is more than welcome.
Edited by jcrandall623 - 5/6/11 at 5:19pm
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrandall623;13409907 
Introduction/Info:
First Time Overclocker!
Ok, so I upgraded piece by piece, and I understand that I didn't buy the best pieces possible, but this is all a learning experience. I might get a new HSF, but no other upgrades on this system, since I'm just going to build a whole new system in a 3-6 months anyways, and give this to my dad or something.

I thoroughly read the "official" AM2 overclock thread (written by Dirch) which is where I got 80% of my info.
http://www.overclock.net/amd-general/307316-offical-overclocking-guide-amd-socket-am2.html

I'm using CPU-Z and Orthos.

My overclock adventure:

Mobo: Asus M2A-VM
CPU: AMD (64 X2) Brisbane 2.6GHz

I don't plan on overclocking my memory. I just want to get my cpu to 3GHz at stable temps/voltages. I did isolated tests on the mobo and cpu. I got my Bus Speed to 269MHz. CPU I was able to hit 3.118GHz @ 1.4v (240MHz x13) with the Core Volt fluctuating up to 1.424. Orthos ran fine for 5 minutes, but temps hit up to 71C/68C on the 2 cores, so I thought I should try to get under 65C on load. This wasn't the max my CPU can hit, but I decided that 3GHz was fast enough for me.

I lowered the speed down to 3GHz @ 1.35v (231MHz x13 multiplier) and the voltage is kind of chilling at 1.328V. I have Orthos running as I am typing. It's been running for almost an hour now, and temps are steady at 71C and 68C.

Before overclocking, my load temps were idle at 61C/59C.

Question #1
If my system can withstand 24hrs of Orthos and temps stay at 71/68C, will it be safe to just keep it at this 3GHz setting?

Question #2A
Do I really really need a new HSF?
I already spent a total of $158 ($133 AR).(8800GT $50, mobo/cpu/hsf/mem $70, Antec PSU $38 ($23 AR). I don't want to spend any more money on this system.

If I do, then I wouldn't spend more than $20. I really want to save the rest of my money for my next system. Learning from my mistakes, if I bought a fan, then I'd probably buy a higher end $50ish-on-sale/rebates/refurb/used fan. I will be giving this system to someone within 2 years so I'd probably lower the clock and put this current fan in it.

Question #2B (If you answered yes on question #2A)
Should I get a $20 fan and just OC this guy to 3.2ish?
I'm almost certain that I can get this Brisbane to 3.2 stable if I can keep the temps lower.

Question #3
Is my memory safe?
Unintentionally, my DDR2-800MHz is overclocked to 857MHz @ 1.9v 5-5-5-18-24-2T. Stock voltage is 1.8v. I haven't run any other tests besides Orthos, but it seems like a pretty weak overclock to worry about my mem chips burning up.

Question #4
Should I OC it higher?
The temps for 3.118GHz are the exact same as 2.999GHz and so I don't see the harm. I think I can try to hit 3.2 with the same temps/voltages as 3.118GHz, not sure.

Any other advice, input, wisdom, constructive criticism, etc is more than welcome.

Question 1) Yes 24 hours of Orthos is actually overkill. If it can run stable for even half of that time I would call that stable @ 3GHz.

Question 2A) No, you do not need a new HSF. 69/71C is perfectly fine for an Athlon processor. I believe the max is 75C.

Question 3) I believe your memory is safe, but if you want to be 100% sure then you should download a program called "Hyper Pi" or even "Super Pi"(with Super Pi you will have to run multiple instances for each core, ie: 2x for 2 cores.)

Question 4) The reason I answered no to question 2 is because I do not believe it's worth OC'ing higher, especially since you won't have it for much longer. Even then, it wouldn't make much difference. Spending $30 on a new HSF just to reach 200MHz higher isn't worth it. You can just keep it at 3GHz with the current HSF and your perfectly within the safe range of temperatures.

Hope that helps a little.

EDIT: The max temp for Brisbane's are 68C. Keep in mind CPU's are made to last 10 years as it is. Going over 1-2C while running Orthos isn't gonna matter. Still not worth a new HSF, because unless your stressing the temps won't really ever get that high.
Edited by iinversion - 5/6/11 at 5:35pm
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion;13409995 

Question 2A) No, you do not need a new HSF. 69/71C is perfectly fine for an Athlon processor. I believe the max is 75C.

Question 3) I believe your memory is safe, but if you want to be 100% sure then you should download a program called "Hyper Pi" or even "Super Pi"(with Super Pi you will have to run multiple instances for each core, ie: 2x for 2 cores.)

Question 4) The reason I answered no to question 2 is because I do not believe it's worth OC'ing higher, especially since you won't have it for much longer. Even then, it wouldn't make much difference. Spending $30 on a new HSF just to reach 200MHz higher isn't worth it. You can just keep it at 3GHz with the current HSF and your perfectly within the safe range of temperatures.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks for your input. I agree with that expenditure/performance comment. I'm gonna try to go a little higher than 3GHz while staying under 1.45V and keep my temps under 73. repped!
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrandall623;13410095 
Thanks for your input. I agree with that expenditure/performance comment. I'm gonna try to go a little higher than 3GHz while staying under 1.45V and keep my temps under 73. repped!

Thanks for the rep. Also you might want to note I found the actual maximum temperature to be 68C and edited my post above with a comment ^
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Try overclocking the northbridge?
Overclocking it a few hundred mhz yields great boosts in performance.
As for ram, they won't burn up tongue.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion;13410173 
Thanks for the rep. Also you might want to note I found the actual maximum temperature to be 68C and edited my post above with a comment ^

What are the negative affects of having it 5 degrees higher? I've read that if you are loading at 80C, then it'll cut the life of your CPU from 20 to 10 years, which I don't think is that bad of a deal. I haven't found any definitive information about this.

Also, my cousin (who I hate btw) has a cheap old desktop that's running at 85C!! It's been like that for over a year. I expect it to die pretty soon, but it still runs, all 3 fans are on 100%. It's louder than a refrigerator, but it's still working.

I don't really want to down lower than 2.9GHz, I noticed a big differences from 2.6GHz to 2.8, 2.8 to 2.9, 2.9 to 3.0. I couldn't notice with a naked eye. I know at 2.8, the temps were under 65C, but it's a noticeable different to jump to 3GHz.

My Orthos has been running for 1.5 hours now and is still 71C/68C. I see the 71 drop to 70 a few times a minute.

I'm gonna halt on the Orthos, and try a few settings. I'll have more data to share and it'll help decide which setting is best.
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomiyamu!;13410255 
Try overclocking the northbridge?
Overclocking it a few hundred mhz yields great boosts in performance.
As for ram, they won't burn up tongue.gif

Sorry I'm new to this. How do I safely and somewhat conservatively overclock the north bridge? Let me google and read up on that real quick.
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
My VR Rig
(12 items)
 
AntecK
(11 items)
 
My $140 rig.
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700k @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 NVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition @ 2GHz 16GB (2 x 8GB) Avexir Core Series 2400MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD 3TB Toshiba P300 HDD Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27" Dell G-Sync 144Hz (S2716DG) EVGA 750 GQ Phanteks Eclipse Logitech G602 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-3570k 3.4GHz MSI Z77A-43A PNY GTX 660 Ti G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX 3K SSD Western Digital My Essential 2TB USB 3.0 Extern... Samsung DVD Burner (SH-224BB) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Plus 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8 (64-bit) Corsair CX500 Antec Three Hundred 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Brisbane 64 X2 2.6GHz -> 3.1GHz Asus M2A-VM Sparkle 8800GT 512MB 2GB 800MHz Corsair ValueRAM 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
160 GB SATA 7200rpm Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Antec Basiq 430W 
Case
eMachine midtower. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrandall623;13410294 
Sorry I'm new to this. How do I safely and somewhat conservatively overclock the north bridge? Let me google and read up on that real quick.
Pretty much the same way, if you have a black edition processor you can just up the multiplier.
It'll be abreviated NB-Freq I believe.
Or you can up the bus speed and it'll automatically overclock the NB.
But when you up volts, make sure to up the CPU-NB voltages and not the actual NB voltages.

Personally, I have a 2400mhz NB but I also have a newer system.

Remember when overclocking, keep the Hypertransport or HT as close to stock as possible.
This can be done by lowering the multiplier.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrandall623;13410275 
What are the negative affects of having it 5 degrees higher? I've read that if you are loading at 80C, then it'll cut the life of your CPU from 20 to 10 years, which I don't think is that bad of a deal. I haven't found any definitive information about this.

Also, my cousin (who I hate btw) has a cheap old desktop that's running at 85C!! It's been like that for over a year. I expect it to die pretty soon, but it still runs, all 3 fans are on 100%. It's louder than a refrigerator, but it's still working.

I don't really want to down lower than 2.9GHz, I noticed a big differences from 2.6GHz to 2.8, 2.8 to 2.9, 2.9 to 3.0. I couldn't notice with a naked eye. I know at 2.8, the temps were under 65C, but it's a noticeable different to jump to 3GHz.

My Orthos has been running for 1.5 hours now and is still 71C/68C. I see the 71 drop to 70 a few times a minute.

I'm gonna halt on the Orthos, and try a few settings. I'll have more data to share and it'll help decide which setting is best.

I think you are fine to stay at your current voltage and run 3GHz, or whatever you can make stable with the 1.45v. The few extra degrees aren't going to cut your life down on your processor by much at all. They are rated to run at the maximum temperature for 10 years. (At least that's what I've read/heard). So in the ABSOLUTE worst case scenario that CPU will only last 5 years. Is that good enough for you?

As far as OC'ing the Northbridge goes.. It's highly dependent on your mobo/NB chipset.. I'd try raising the NB frequency to 2400(or whatever is closest) and raise the CPU-NB volts to 1.25v. It'll should be stable and it will give it a performance boost. ..but then again your mobo has the 690G chipset and I'm not even sure the stock frequency on that but you can go ahead and give it a try.
Edited by iinversion - 5/6/11 at 5:59pm
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 12
If it's 5 degrees higher than max I personally think it's fine, I mean that is a 100% stressed cpu and with realistic usage you would rarely reach that.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
phenom ii x4 945 3.6ghz@1.375 ga-880gma-ud2h -sniff- integrated. 2x2 ripjaws cl6 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is my Core Temp too hot?