Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › What's with the rerelease of AMD cpus just slightly clocked higher?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's with the rerelease of AMD cpus just slightly clocked higher?

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
Now i see the phenom ii x4 975, nothing new, just clocked at 3.7ghz, what's next? Is this for people that don't know about overclocking? A 955 could get to that easy
post #2 of 10
Don't forget that businesses and corporations don't overclock because of the risks. The enthusiast market is a small portion of the market, even in custom-computer building.
Budget Bandit
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 550BE @3.6ghz no unlock :( Giga GA-MA78LM XFX 6770 4GB Corsair ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB WD Cav Green Cooler Master Gemin II Win7 x86 (64 coming soon) LG 20", HP 17" 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logi G15 Corsair 400w Antec 300 plastidipped 
  hide details  
Reply
Budget Bandit
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 550BE @3.6ghz no unlock :( Giga GA-MA78LM XFX 6770 4GB Corsair ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500GB WD Cav Green Cooler Master Gemin II Win7 x86 (64 coming soon) LG 20", HP 17" 
KeyboardPowerCase
Logi G15 Corsair 400w Antec 300 plastidipped 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kid spartan View Post
Don't forget that businesses and corporations don't overclock because of the risks. The enthusiast market is a small portion of the market, even in custom-computer building.
Well isn't offering a "new" cpu with no changes except clocked higher the same thing as OC'ing? They just save the user the trouble(and fun ^_^) of doing it themselves.
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade View Post
(and fun ^_^)
...In my case it's epic frustration.
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6850K @ 4.5GHz / 1.41v Asus X99 Deluxe II EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional BenQ GW2765 ViewSonic XG2401 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S Logitech G900 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade View Post
Well isn't offering a "new" cpu with no changes except clocked higher the same thing as OC'ing? They just save the user the trouble(and fun ^_^) of doing it themselves.
I think that you will find that Intel does this as well. By using your logic, you are suggesting that all CPU's are clocked the same and that there is no binning process.

Which this theory doesn't work because the fabrication process isn't perfect so you need to bin different grades of CPU. If this didn't take place you would see

" the new i7, it's capable of speeds of um...?? between ....um 2.6 GHz and ....um .....well 4.0GHz."

Intel: "We have released the new Ivy Bridge"
Reporter:"So what is the reported speeds ?"
Intel: "Well we got results that, 80% of the batch hit 2.6 GHz, 15% run well at 3.8 GHz and 5% hit somewhere around 4.2 GHz."
Reporter: "So what does this mean for the consumer?"
Intel: "A $500 lucky dip"
Reporter: "DERP"

Plus also you would pee of 95% of the real PC consumer, we are at best only 5%. To cater for our needs alone shoots the rest of the market in the foot.
Edited by smash_mouth01 - 5/6/11 at 8:36pm
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash_mouth01 View Post
I think that you will find that Intel does this as well. By using your logic, you are suggesting that all CPU's are clocked the same and that there is no binning process.

Which this theory doesn't work because the fabrication process isn't perfect so you need to bin different grades of CPU. If this didn't take place you would see

" the new i7, it's capable of speeds of um...?? between ....um 2.6 GHz and ....um .....well 4.0GHz.

Plus also you would pee of 95% of the real PC consumer, we are at best only 5%. To cater for our needs alone shoots the rest of the market in the foot.
lol true, didn't really take binning into account
post #7 of 10
It is SOP for CPU makers and has been going on forever.
DD Boxen
(23 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 Powercolor 6970 2GB G. Skill 1600mHz Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
SpinpontF3 1TB, WD 250, and WD320 Lite-On DT Waterblocks DT5Noz Waterblock Swiftech Komodo 6900-1 Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-220 Drive radiator Swiftech MCR-220 QP radiator 6xGentle Typhoon AP-15s Archx64 KDE4.5, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eyefinity 3-head 5265x1050 OCN Ducky!! MX Blue Switches XFX 750W Black Edition Mountain Mods H2gO 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser 595 Sony STR-DE995 A/V receiver 
OtherOther
Lian Li Card flash memory reader Asus PCE-N15 Wifi-N card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1055T Gigabyte 790 Sapphire 4850x2 2x2GB 1600mHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
A few Yes Vista/7 Das Keyboard 
Power
Ugly 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz Something kinda small Qualcomm Adreno core 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
None N/A WebOS 3.0.2 9.7" XGA, multitouch 
PowerCase
6300mAh Piano Black 
  hide details  
Reply
DD Boxen
(23 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230 Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen3 Powercolor 6970 2GB G. Skill 1600mHz Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
SpinpontF3 1TB, WD 250, and WD320 Lite-On DT Waterblocks DT5Noz Waterblock Swiftech Komodo 6900-1 Waterblock 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-220 Drive radiator Swiftech MCR-220 QP radiator 6xGentle Typhoon AP-15s Archx64 KDE4.5, Windows 7 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Eyefinity 3-head 5265x1050 OCN Ducky!! MX Blue Switches XFX 750W Black Edition Mountain Mods H2gO 
MouseAudioAudioAudio
Razer Naga Asus Xonar Essence STX Sennheiser 595 Sony STR-DE995 A/V receiver 
OtherOther
Lian Li Card flash memory reader Asus PCE-N15 Wifi-N card 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD 1055T Gigabyte 790 Sapphire 4850x2 2x2GB 1600mHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
A few Yes Vista/7 Das Keyboard 
Power
Ugly 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Qualcomm Snapdragon APQ8060 1.2 GHz Something kinda small Qualcomm Adreno core 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
None N/A WebOS 3.0.2 9.7" XGA, multitouch 
PowerCase
6300mAh Piano Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 10
Thread Starter 
Ya i guess, but if people educated themselves they could save so much money and get to the same performance with such ease lol
post #9 of 10
Might as well do something with the extra silicon, BD is almost here, gotta make some money.
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomblade View Post
Now i see the phenom ii x4 975, nothing new, just clocked at 3.7ghz, what's next? Is this for people that don't know about overclocking? A 955 could get to that easy
These are simply just remainder that they have left over and want to get rid of since Bulldozer is just around the corner and many people that dont know **** about overclocking or PC's in general will just get the highest clocked version in order to get the max performance.

Your argument with OC'ing the 955 is pretty stupid since the manufacturer does not support overclocking and it's a FACT that if you do so, it will void the warranty (let aside the question if they can even prove it or not).

So in theory this is the highest clocked and best performing stock Phenom II quad right of the box with full waranty and what not.
Edited by toX0rz - 5/7/11 at 3:27am
Rebel
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500k 4,6 GHz @ 1,32 V AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI @ 1228 / 3312 MHz 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 1TB + 500GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VH22H Xilence XQ 850W with a Scythe Kama Flex 
CaseMouse
Aerocool VS-9 Xmas Edition :P Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
Rebel
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500k 4,6 GHz @ 1,32 V AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 PNY GeForce GTX 660 Ti SLI @ 1228 / 3312 MHz 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung 1TB + 500GB Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Asus VH22H Xilence XQ 850W with a Scythe Kama Flex 
CaseMouse
Aerocool VS-9 Xmas Edition :P Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › What's with the rerelease of AMD cpus just slightly clocked higher?