Update, one of my 5850s had to be RMAed for a busted fan (I wouldn't have RMAed it if I knew they are no longer in production) so I am only running a crossfire setup but I will switch soon enough to a triple crossfire 5870 setup. The big difference with that is I will be using reference/blower designed cards.
Here is also my answer to the heat issue:
- Scythe 120MM 38MM 133 CFM fan in intake port (it would not fit so I ziptied it to the drive bay and to the intake port)
- Scythe 120MM 25MM 110CFM fan in the side panel door (corner clipped to fit CPU cooler)
- Cooler Master 120MM 79CFM over VRMs
- Scythe Master Ace fan controller
How it looks:
- I was able to drop temps by 9-13C over AN OPEN CASE setup. I am also able to drop my GPU fan by about 10% on the bottom one. This is about onpar as using the household fan but much quieter and less open to people accidentally turning off your cooling setup, lol.
When I get my three 5870s, I will update thread in how they operate then.