Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Recommended PSU for SLI 580's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Recommended PSU for SLI 580's - Page 4

post #31 of 41
Not sure why everyone keeps telling you to get a 1kw for SLI 580's - I have my sig rig running on a Corsair HX1000 (tri-sli 580's) and its more than enough, either a. stick with your current PSU as it will be far more than enough and as brettjv said MIGHT cost you an extra $12 a year, or get a good 850W - no sense in buying well over what you will actually need unless you plan on going tri or quad sli in the future
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 41
The fact is, 1000+ PSU will run cooler and consequently, will live longer.
Damnation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7-950 [Asus] Rampage III Formula [Asus] GTX580 DirectCU II (x2 SLI) [Corsair] Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] M4 128GB (OS) [Other] 6TB (Storage) [LG] 10X Blu-ray Burner [Microsoft] Windows 7 Professional (x64) [Dell] U2412M (x3 landscape) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Logitech] K360 [Corsair] AX1200 [Silverstone] TJ11 [Logitech] M570 
Mouse Pad
[Steelseries] StarCraft II: Kerrigan vs. Zeratul 
  hide details  
Reply
Damnation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
[Intel] i7-950 [Asus] Rampage III Formula [Asus] GTX580 DirectCU II (x2 SLI) [Corsair] Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
[Crucial] M4 128GB (OS) [Other] 6TB (Storage) [LG] 10X Blu-ray Burner [Microsoft] Windows 7 Professional (x64) [Dell] U2412M (x3 landscape) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
[Logitech] K360 [Corsair] AX1200 [Silverstone] TJ11 [Logitech] M570 
Mouse Pad
[Steelseries] StarCraft II: Kerrigan vs. Zeratul 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 41
My take is that you could spend money on getting something else a bit more modern and the *only* difference, practical or otherwise, it's going to make is maybe a buck a month lower utility bill.

The only way I'd worry about using that unit is if you were legitimately going to be pushing 1000W (or thereabouts) hard, day-in, day-out. Since you'll actually be pulling a max of about 750W out of it, if that, it's going to perform identically to any other decent PSU (w/adequate wattage) for all practical purposes, other than slightly lower efficiency due to it being older.

I say save your money and use what you've got
Edited by brettjv - 5/17/11 at 10:40am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post
Not sure why everyone keeps telling you to get a 1kw for SLI 580's - I have my sig rig running on a Corsair HX1000 (tri-sli 580's) and its more than enough, either a. stick with your current PSU as it will be far more than enough and as brettjv said MIGHT cost you an extra $12 a year, or get a good 850W - no sense in buying well over what you will actually need unless you plan on going tri or quad sli in the future
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyamak_zealot View Post
The fact is, 1000+ PSU will run cooler and consequently, will live longer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
My take is that you could spend money on getting something else a bit more modern and the *only* difference, practical or otherwise, it's going to make is maybe a buck a month lower utility bill.

The only way I'd worry about using that unit is if you were legitimately going to be pushing 1000W (or thereabouts) hard, day-in, day-out. Since you'll actually be pulling a max of about 750W out of it, if that, it's going to perform identically to any other decent PSU (w/adequate wattage) for all practical purposes, other than slightly lower efficiency due to it being older.

I say save your money and use what you've got
Thanks for the advice and input. Brettjv if I could have given you a +1 rep I would have.

I'm sticking with it. Makes more sense to keep my mid-level 1000 watt PSU than to get a lower 850 watt higher qaulity PSU if the only difference will be the electricity bill at the end of the month and it's not going to make any difference in the ability to SLI my GTX 580.

Now to continue to save for just the second GTX 580 instead of another PSU which I really don't need.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by zyamak_zealot View Post
The fact is, 1000+ PSU will run cooler and consequently, will live longer.
No.
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
No.
He meant over the 1200 watt PSU I was thinking of getting I belive.

However just 'No' is not a productive response. Can you please be more specific on what you meant by that?
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post
He meant over the 1200 watt PSU I was thinking of getting I belive.

However just 'No' is not a productive response. Can you please be more specific on what you meant by that?
No, as in, getting an overkill PSU doesn't necessarily mean it will run cooler or last longer.
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k ga-x99-sli gigabyte 7970 wf 16gb 4x4 lpx 
Hard DriveCoolingPowerCase
samsung 830 128gb ven x/gt ap-15 evga g2 650w corsair 450d 
Audio
jbl lsr305 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 41
I still find it funny how people who have no idea what they are talking about, even after being corrected continue to insist they are right. Humans; masters of delusion.

Anyway OP, honestly you say now what if you get more, you aren't. Unless you are seriously rich you won't have any need for a third 580 (which is the only reason for a 1000w) and if you are rich, hell buy a 1500w, who cares.

But for the money the Seasonic 850w is great and can pull over 850w. Also you need to calculate efficiency, which most charts don't show. In short, don't worry about it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post
He meant over the 1200 watt PSU I was thinking of getting I belive.

However just 'No' is not a productive response. Can you please be more specific on what you meant by that?
Pretty sure he meant it won't run cooler, longer, or more 'consecutive', how consecutive is a useful term in describing the circumstance, I don't know. Anyway, it MAY run cooler, but being that the PSU isn't going to affect your ambient by more then the margin of error it matters very little. Also a unit like the Seasonic 850 is going to outlast most other units, simply because of the quality.
Edited by Live_free - 5/17/11 at 11:32pm
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameBoy View Post
No, as in, getting an overkill PSU doesn't necessarily mean it will run cooler or last longer.
Ah ok, true. Mediocore vs qaulity components do make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live_free View Post
Pretty sure he meant it won't run cooler, longer, or more 'consecutive', how consecutive is a useful term in describing the circumstance, I don't know. Anyway, it MAY run cooler, but being that the PSU isn't going to affect your ambient by more then the margin of error it matters very little. Also a unit like the Seasonic 850 is going to outlast most other units, simply because of the quality.
As long as I can run two GTX 580's for a couple of years, I'll be happy. Will give me time to save up for a PSU later next year or longer.

Reason being I'm about to get 3D glasses and when 3D gaming my FPS will drop and I want to stay above 60FPS for maximum 3D gaming experience. If I had to buy a PSU first it may be a while before I can get the most of my 3D gaming.

I've been building this rig since December from ground up, everything from speakers, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and entire rig. I'm at $3100 after 3D glasses and have about $300 saved for the second GTX 580.

Hence why before I made such a GPU upgrade I didn't want to invest so much in something that would destroy or be destroyed by a lacking PSU. I realize now had I had some hind sight I would have purchased a better qaulity PSU from the get go.

Others should take note, your PSU is important and one shouldn't skimp on it.
     
  hide details  
Reply
     
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post
I've read the Corsair AX1000 is two 500 watt psu's in one casing and each have their own 12v rails. Not the best idea from some posts to put two 580's on since they work independantly of each other.
Just to be clear, the only Corsair AX PSU's available are the AX750, AX850, and AX1200, which are all single rail unit. Corsair, currently, does not have a 1000W unit under the AX line. The PSU you are referring to is the HX1000, which is comprised of two 500W units. While the HX1000 is a decent/mediocre unit compared to modern day alternatives within similar price brackets, it can still hold its own very well when handling two to three high end GPU's.

As an FYI to anyone who is wondering what kind of power draw to expect, my sig rig with two overclocked 580's while benchmarking and gaming at 900/1800/2200 at 1.1V never hit 800W. It would fluctuate between 750-790W, depending on the benchmark or scene in a game. These high consumption numbers were done with Crysis, 3DMark 11, and Heaven Benchmark 2.5. Interestingly, as intense as Metro 2033 is, the power consumption numbers were lower, hovering in the 650-700W range. And, all tests and gaming were done while powering 6 mechanical hard drives of varying speeds and sizes, as well as 4 cathode tube lights, 6 Gentle Typhoons, 2 140mm Noiseblocker NB-PK3, and a Scythe fan controller.

Keep in mind, all figures are taken from the wall, before efficiency is taken into account. As many have already stated, a quality 850W PSU will be more than qualified to handle a pair of 580's, even when overclocked; with three 580's being well suited on a quality 1000W. If you are building with a Sandy Bridge setup, you can be sure to see even lower power consumption figures (depending on the overclock, of course).
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 4258U 2.4 GHz Intel Iris HD 5100 8GB Samsung 256GB SSD 
OS
OSX 10.9 Mavericks 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Power Supplies
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Power Supplies › Recommended PSU for SLI 580's