Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Silent Computing › Computer still noisy with 'new' Corsair 430cx
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Computer still noisy with 'new' Corsair 430cx - Page 4

post #31 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
[LIST][*]450W XFX Core Edition Pro for £39.31 inc. vat[*]400W Antec High Current Gamer for £47.73 inc. vat
I guess it's a toss up between these two then. Is there much to justify the extra expense of the Antec, would you say? (and thankyou for helping out a noob!)
Ol' Salty Breezer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 Ghz Dual Core Celeron E1400 Abit SG95 Nil 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
750GB Samsung F1 hard drive SATAII 7200rpm Sony AW-G170ASV 18xDVD±RW/RAM DL 64-bit Arch Linux XFX Pro Core 450w 20+4pin ATX 
Case
Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Salty Breezer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 Ghz Dual Core Celeron E1400 Abit SG95 Nil 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
750GB Samsung F1 hard drive SATAII 7200rpm Sony AW-G170ASV 18xDVD±RW/RAM DL 64-bit Arch Linux XFX Pro Core 450w 20+4pin ATX 
Case
Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 52
DON'T RMA the PSU. I would even go so far as to say don't bother buying another.

I had the same problem. Picked up the same PSU to put in an HTPC and it started whining. It's called coil whine, and you might as well get used to it. I RMA'd the Corsair (paid $25 shipping to do so) and got back the v2 model, and it only whines a little bit.

If you want a little more information, check out my post on the problem here and the response that follows it the post afterwards.
post #33 of 52
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input, CasanovaFly. I''d not describe what i'm hearing as a whine/scream however, more like the low hum of a refridgerator, but then perhaps this audio is another variant of coil whine.
Ol' Salty Breezer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 Ghz Dual Core Celeron E1400 Abit SG95 Nil 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
750GB Samsung F1 hard drive SATAII 7200rpm Sony AW-G170ASV 18xDVD±RW/RAM DL 64-bit Arch Linux XFX Pro Core 450w 20+4pin ATX 
Case
Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Salty Breezer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 Ghz Dual Core Celeron E1400 Abit SG95 Nil 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
750GB Samsung F1 hard drive SATAII 7200rpm Sony AW-G170ASV 18xDVD±RW/RAM DL 64-bit Arch Linux XFX Pro Core 450w 20+4pin ATX 
Case
Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 52
I see. I guess it may just be a bad unit then. I don't notice mine getting significantly loud, but I don't spend too much time around it.
post #35 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaII View Post
I guess it's a toss up between these two then. Is there much to justify the extra expense of the Antec, would you say? (and thankyou for helping out a noob!)
Good call!

I can't think of any reason to get the Antec HCG instead of the XFX Core Pro except for the appearance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NirvanaII View Post
Thanks for the input, CasanovaFly. I''d not describe what i'm hearing as a whine/scream however, more like the low hum of a refridgerator, but then perhaps this audio is another variant of coil whine.
When you described it as a "low hum", I knew right away that it had to be the fan. I have a total of four 120mm case fans, and 3 of them make a droning, low hum. So I'm imagining that the 120mm fan in the CX430 is making a similar sound. However, my fans are running at approximately 1200 RPM.

Are you able to temporarily jam the PSU's fan to see if it really is the culprit? I should be worth the effort.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 52
Thread Starter 
I'm not sure that I want or know how best to jam the fan without doing it or myself some damage, but following the_beast's earlier advice, and unhooking all but the CPU and motherboard, it does seem most likely it's the PSU.

I have been reading around elsewhere on the net, and another possibility might be the noise is related to bad capacitors on the motherboard.

Best I either disconnect all (and switch on), or try jamming, I suppose...
Ol' Salty Breezer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 Ghz Dual Core Celeron E1400 Abit SG95 Nil 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
750GB Samsung F1 hard drive SATAII 7200rpm Sony AW-G170ASV 18xDVD±RW/RAM DL 64-bit Arch Linux XFX Pro Core 450w 20+4pin ATX 
Case
Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Salty Breezer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2 Ghz Dual Core Celeron E1400 Abit SG95 Nil 2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz PC2-6400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
750GB Samsung F1 hard drive SATAII 7200rpm Sony AW-G170ASV 18xDVD±RW/RAM DL 64-bit Arch Linux XFX Pro Core 450w 20+4pin ATX 
Case
Casecom KL-700ATX Black Midi Tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 52
I recommend turning the system off and then back on again while watching the PSU's fan to see which direction it spins. Then after that, it will be easier to know how to safely jam it so that you aren't sticking something in there at such an angle where it's going against the rotation.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 52
Many Seasonic and Corsair (made by seasonic) psus have "hybrid silent fan control". The fan doesn't turn on unless the load exceeds a certain amount. I'm not sure if the fan is load or temperature controlled but I know the fan remains off during low load use. If you get an overpowered one it should remain off virtually all of the time on a low power consumption rig. This is a nice alternative to a fanless psu because it still has the option of turning on a fan if it needs it.

http://blog.corsair.com/?tag=hybrid-silent-fan-control

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
I recommend turning the system off and then back on again while watching the PSU's fan to see which direction it spins. Then after that, it will be easier to know how to safely jam it so that you aren't sticking something in there at such an angle where it's going against the rotation.
Simply looking at the fan white it is off (and a little common sense) should make it completely obvious what direction it spins. I'm always puzzled by people who can't tell what direction a fan spins.
Edited by Epitope - 5/11/11 at 8:36pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope View Post
Many Seasonic and Corsair (made by seasonic) psus have "hybrid silent fan control". The fan doesn't turn on unless the load exceeds a certain amount. I'm not sure if the fan is load or temperature controlled but I know the fan remains off during low load use. If you get an overpowered one it should remain off virtually all of the time on a low power consumption rig. This is a nice alternative to a fanless psu because it still has the option of turning on a fan if it needs it.

http://blog.corsair.com/?tag=hybrid-silent-fan-control
The fan on my HX650 does not turn off when my system is idling. The same was true for my HX520.

Besides, the CX430 is made by CWT (CWT DSAII):

http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...sair-psus.html

So I can almost guarantee that the fan in his PSU is always on just like mine is.

Finally: that article you posted is referring to the AX750 and AX850 units which are very different from the CX430.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope View Post
Simply looking at the fan white it is off (and a little common sense) should make it completely obvious what direction it spins. I'm always puzzled by people who can't tell what direction a fan spins.
Y'know, the fact that I made that recommendation doesn't mean that I personally can't tell just by looking at a fan. However, I don't want to say, "Just turn your system off and look at the PSU's fan because then you'll be able to tell which direction it spins just by looking at it while it's not spinning". Do you know why? Because the next question is always, "How can I tell which direction the fan spins when it's not spinning?". So, I don't want to have to answer that. Instead, it's SIGNIFICANTLY easier to just advise watching the fan turn off and back on.

Thanks anyway.
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K @ 4.5GHz (1.368-1.384V fixed voltage) ASUS P8P67 EVO B3 (UEFI ver. 1850) GTX 780 ASUS DirectCU II (1228 / 6300, 1.180V) G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1866MHz, CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (C:\) 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO (D:\) 150 GB WD VelociRaptor Samsung SH-S243N 24x DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung SH-S203N 20X DVD Burner Thermaltake Frio Win 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 Retail AOC G2460PG (24" 1920 x 1080 144Hz G-SYNC) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Filco Majestouch 104-key Cherry MX Blues w/NKRO Corsair HX650 (Bronze, ordered on 12-12-2009) CM 690 Intellimouse Optical (1.1A) 1000Hz polling rate 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Basic, but premium round X-Fi Titanium HD Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 (with 16 AWG Monster Cable... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
The fan on my HX650 does not turn off when my system is idling. The same was true for my HX520.

Besides, the CX430 is made by CWT (CWT DSAII):

http://www.overclock.net/power-suppl...sair-psus.html

So I can almost guarantee that the fan in his PSU is always on just like mine is.

Finally: that article you posted is referring to the AX750 and AX850 units which are very different from the CX430.



Y'know, the fact that I made that recommendation doesn't mean that I personally can't tell just by looking at a fan. However, I don't want to say, "Just turn your system off and look at the PSU's fan because then you'll be able to tell which direction it spins just by looking at it while it's not spinning". Do you know why? Because the next question is always, "How can I tell which direction the fan spins when it's not spinning?". So, I don't want to have to answer that. Instead, it's SIGNIFICANTLY easier to just advise watching the fan turn off and back on.

Thanks anyway.
Relax, neither comment was directed towards you. I also realize that the power supplies mentioned in the article I linked are vastly different. It was simply quick a link to demonstrate what I was talking about. Those are not the only power supplies with that feature. I'm not going to research every PSU with that feature. If he cares enough about it he can do it himself.

I was simply commenting that it baffles me how some people can't understand how a fan works by simply looking at it. I'm pretty sure I understood it when I was like 8 years old...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 3.2 GHz at 1.0V Asus Rampage III Formula Asus HD6870 6GB Mushkin Redline 1600MHz 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 250 GB SSD,2X 1TB F3, 250GB WD Blue, 1T... Asus BD Megahalems black chrome edition Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Asus 24" Mac keyboard Enermax ERV950EWT Silverstone FT02 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Steelseries I-2 Onkyo 1000W 7.1 surround through HDMI 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Silent Computing
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Silent Computing › Computer still noisy with 'new' Corsair 430cx