Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Using PCI-E 16x Extenders w/ 5870.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Using PCI-E 16x Extenders w/ 5870.

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
Would this work? I'm not too knowledgeable on this subject. I mean the extender would be able to provide the same amount of power right? There shouldn't be any issues unless I screw something up it seems. These are easily found on ebay for maybe $10.

My two 5870's are very close together. The top one runs 10-20C hotter or more under heavy load. Even with high fan speeds. The temperatures are limiting my ability to overclock it. This is an Antec 300. Airflow is excellent and a non-issue aside from the 5870 sucking air from the lower 5870.

If I could just lower it a bit I think that would solve my issue.

+Rep for answers.

post #2 of 15
It should suit your needs just fine, being mechanically and electrically compatible. One issue though, I see no specification of which spec it adheres to, be it 1.1 or 2.0...
Edited by cq842000 - 5/8/11 at 2:55pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980x eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + PNY GTX460 (PPU) 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black LG Windows 7 Home Premium x64 3x 21.5" Asus VH222 (3x1L Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless/ Belkin n52te Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000(IT'S OVER 2000!!!) MountainMods Ascension Logitech cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980x eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + PNY GTX460 (PPU) 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black LG Windows 7 Home Premium x64 3x 21.5" Asus VH222 (3x1L Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless/ Belkin n52te Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000(IT'S OVER 2000!!!) MountainMods Ascension Logitech cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 15
From what I have read on the subject of pcie extenders if you aren't willing to spend a chunk of change they are not worth it. I could of course be very wrong about this but I was told unless you buy a high quality one the performance loss is pretty substantial.
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cq842000 View Post
It should suit your needs just fine, being mechanically and electrically compatible. One issue though, I see no specification of which spec it adheres to, be it 1.1 or 2.0...
I had the same thought. But all of the PCIE specifications (1.0, 2.0, 2.1 or w/e) are physically the same. So I believe the difference between them is the underlying circuitry, the motherboard.
So I don't think that would matter... but I could be wrong. That's something I'm wondering also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voklskier4452 View Post
From what I have read on the subject of pcie extenders if you aren't willing to spend a chunk of change they are not worth it. I could of course be very wrong about this but I was told unless you buy a high quality one the performance loss is pretty substantial.
Hmm, kinda like I said above I don't see how that would make a difference. I'd love some more info on it though.
post #5 of 15
I actually just saw a post by a supposed owner, and he claimed that it hurt his GPGPU crunching performance by 20%. Keep in mind that he doesnt specify the quality of the connectors that he purchased, and he is running an older Dual-GPU card on the extender. Dual-GPU cards are generally more sensitive to bandwidth limitations than single GPU cards. If he experienced a drop of 20% on a dual GPU card, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to see a huge difference on a single GPU variant. Just as long as it can hang with the 75 watts of the SIG spec. Also as you said, one has to factor in the amount of advertised lane bandwidth available on the motherboard itself. If he was running 4x GTX295 like he claims with lane extender or not, he'd be hurting for the required bandwidth on the motherboard.

The mentioned post...
Edited by cq842000 - 5/8/11 at 3:11pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980x eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + PNY GTX460 (PPU) 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black LG Windows 7 Home Premium x64 3x 21.5" Asus VH222 (3x1L Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless/ Belkin n52te Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000(IT'S OVER 2000!!!) MountainMods Ascension Logitech cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980x eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + PNY GTX460 (PPU) 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black LG Windows 7 Home Premium x64 3x 21.5" Asus VH222 (3x1L Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless/ Belkin n52te Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000(IT'S OVER 2000!!!) MountainMods Ascension Logitech cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cq842000 View Post
I actually just saw a post by a supposed owner, and he claimed that it hurt his GPGPU crunching performance by 20%. Keep in mind that he doesnt specify the quality of the connectors that he purchased, and he is running an older Dual-GPU card on the extender. Dual-GPU cards are generally more sensitive to bandwidth limitations than single GPU cards. If he experienced a drop of 20% on a dual GPU card, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to see a huge difference on a single GPU variant. Just as long as it can hang with the 75 watts of the SIG spec.

The mentioned post...
Hmm interesting. Maybe it's the latency? Possibly not enough power for a dual GPU card? I can't think of a definite answer for why it hurts performance. Good info though. I suppose I'll just order one soon since they are cheap and see how it goes...
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezixn View Post
Hmm interesting. Maybe it's the latency? Possibly not enough power for a dual GPU card? I can't think of a definite answer for why it hurts performance. Good info though. I suppose I'll just order one soon since they are cheap and see how it goes...
Yeah, worst case scenario is it doesnt work and your out a cold $20. That is unless you have a friend with a server who needs one...
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980x eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + PNY GTX460 (PPU) 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black LG Windows 7 Home Premium x64 3x 21.5" Asus VH222 (3x1L Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless/ Belkin n52te Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000(IT'S OVER 2000!!!) MountainMods Ascension Logitech cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 980x eVGA X58 Classified 4-Way SLI 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 + PNY GTX460 (PPU) 12GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-2000 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD Caviar Black LG Windows 7 Home Premium x64 3x 21.5" Asus VH222 (3x1L Eyefinity) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless/ Belkin n52te Antec TPQ 1200 + Antec TPQ 1000(IT'S OVER 2000!!!) MountainMods Ascension Logitech cordless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 15
I would just invest the money in waterblocks, but thats just me
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cq842000 View Post
Yeah, worst case scenario is it doesnt work and your out a cold $20. That is unless you have a friend with a server who needs one...
Well they are like $5-$10 shipped from china on ebay lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noak View Post
I would just invest the money in waterblocks, but thats just me
You're paying right?
post #10 of 15
I would not use one of these personally! i would imagine because of the speed of pcie x16 the data that is sent of the extender could become skewed because it could be arriving at different times to data in other lanes.. I would imagine there would be a definate decrease in performance.

is there not another slot lower down on the motherboard?

I would personally cut a hole in the case and turn the psu upside down (to reduce heat making sure there is feat raising the case off the floor) then move the cards further apart on another slot if available (you can buy longer crossfire cables) but apart from that you could always sell your motherboard on ebay and buy a different model.. but that might be a bit far fetched!

p.s buy some cable ties as i think you could improve your temps by atleast 2 degrees!
Crossfire Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 1100t Asus Crosshair IV Formula XFX HD 6970 x2 in Crossfire Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB @ 1600Mhz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Vertex 3 x2 in Raid 0 & Samsung SP F3 Sony DVD Rewriter Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung Syncmaster 22" & Samsung 32" LED Tv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Zboard Corsair AX850w Corsair 600t Rapoo V3 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries cloth pad 
  hide details  
Reply
Crossfire Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II 1100t Asus Crosshair IV Formula XFX HD 6970 x2 in Crossfire Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB @ 1600Mhz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
120GB Vertex 3 x2 in Raid 0 & Samsung SP F3 Sony DVD Rewriter Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung Syncmaster 22" & Samsung 32" LED Tv 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Zboard Corsair AX850w Corsair 600t Rapoo V3 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries cloth pad 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Using PCI-E 16x Extenders w/ 5870.