Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gtx460SE sudden FPS drops in Crysis WH?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gtx460SE sudden FPS drops in Crysis WH? - Page 3

post #21 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG View Post
When it happens, close crysis and open furmark and start a benchmark. Look on the right side and tell me if your clock speeds are still at what you set them too.

You could also try a new driver. How long ago did you start playing the game and what is the longest amount of time you have played without any problems?

Is there any patches available for the game?
I have driver 270.61 for my SE and the game does not have any patches.. it's a funky version given to me by a friend.

And by the way, that TMPIN#2 does not seem to be right at all. It sits at 81c as a dual core even if I'm idling at 26c. I always ignored that temp because it just stays that way, always.
Skyline
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|B55 3.6| |Gigabyte MA770UD3| |GTX460SE 900/2000| |4GB G.Skill 1600| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|1Tb 7200rpm| |W7u 64bit| |23" Acer LED| |Hec-X Pro 750w| 
Case
|Blitz Mid-Tower| 
  hide details  
Reply
Skyline
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|B55 3.6| |Gigabyte MA770UD3| |GTX460SE 900/2000| |4GB G.Skill 1600| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|1Tb 7200rpm| |W7u 64bit| |23" Acer LED| |Hec-X Pro 750w| 
Case
|Blitz Mid-Tower| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 36
Have a look at your TMPIN#2. That is your VRMs/MOSFETs. They are a 4+1 unheatsinked and since you are probably like most of us using aftermarket cooling, uncooled. Since your Phenom II x2 is unlocked and overclocked, you are pushing a processor of higher than 125W TDP. 4+1 phase cooling aren't exactly made for that high TDP - especially if they are unheatsinked and uncooled in this way.You may have seen me and others posting around about VRMs. Due to the recent wave/surge in (catastrophic, i.e. explosions & fire) VRM failures back in February I took it to the playing field and created a thread about it. Back to the topic (your system), at 82C, your VRMs are overheating very much. To protect themself/prevent from frying, your Gigabyte board is enabling its OCP protection (throttling the CPU down along with voltages until the VRMs cool to a safe level). This throttling down of your CPU is, through VRM overheating, what is causing your framerate drops.

You need to either upgrade your board to a proper VRM system (this I highly recommend esp. with the availability of and upcoming surge in affordable AM3+ socket motherboards), add VRM cooling in the form of heatsinks and a fan to bring airflow to that area, or lock those two cores down to return the CPU back to dual core (much lower power consumption) to prevent the VRMs from overheating.
post #23 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusCaik View Post
I have driver 270.61 for my SE and the game does not have any patches.. it's a funky version given to me by a friend.

And by the way, that TMPIN#2 does not seem to be right at all. It sits at 81c as a dual core even if I'm idling at 26c. I always ignored that temp because it just stays that way, always.
Maybe try to roll back the driver to see if it helps. Also, wouldn't hurt to dissable 1 core and run it as X3 at 95 watts instead of X4 at 125. Gives you a few things to try. Let us know what you figure out. Keep that memory clock in mind on your gpu because the majority of people do not get 2000MHz, although I have seen a few.
 
HDPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Asus Prime X370-Pro MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA DDR4 3200 Kingston SSDNow 120GB WD Green 2TB WD Black 2 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung DVDR Ek Supremacy Evo Blue Edition XSPC RX360 Radiator Swiftech MCP 655b 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Windows 10 e-Machine 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky DK9008 G2 Keyboard PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Lanboy Air Logitech G400s 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA GTX 770 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston SSDNow 120GB XSPC Rasa Acetal XSPC Pump/Res  Ek GTX 770 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Vizio 58" 4k Logitec Wireless Coolmax 600w 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitec Wireless Realtor HD Audio  
  hide details  
Reply
 
HDPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Asus Prime X370-Pro MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA DDR4 3200 Kingston SSDNow 120GB WD Green 2TB WD Black 2 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung DVDR Ek Supremacy Evo Blue Edition XSPC RX360 Radiator Swiftech MCP 655b 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Windows 10 e-Machine 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky DK9008 G2 Keyboard PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Lanboy Air Logitech G400s 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA GTX 770 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston SSDNow 120GB XSPC Rasa Acetal XSPC Pump/Res  Ek GTX 770 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Vizio 58" 4k Logitec Wireless Coolmax 600w 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitec Wireless Realtor HD Audio  
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 36
Lets see: Crysis WH, 1080p, Enthusiast, 16xAA, on a 1GB card ...

Let me just say, it surprises me that after all these posts, nobody has suggested the *possibility* that he's running out of vram after playing for a time

OP: use the OSD in Afterburner to monitor your vram usage (and clocks and volts and all that) in real-time while playing. If you're seeing the memory usage creep up around 1GB around the same time as the problem kicks in ... then you'll know what the problem is ...

And if so, the list of things to try are: Lowering Res, lowering AA, and lowering Texture Quality
Edited by brettjv - 5/9/11 at 4:59pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Lets see: Crysis WH, 1080p, Enthusiast, 16xAA, on a 1GB card ...

Let me just say, it surprises me that after all these posts, nobody has suggested the *possibility* that he's running out of vram after playing for a time

OP: use the OSD in Afterburner to monitor your vram usage (and clocks and volts and all that) in real-time while playing. If you're seeing the memory usage creep up around 1GB around the same time as the problem kicks in ... then you'll know what the problem is ...

And if so, the list of things to try are: Lowering Res, lowering AA, and lowering Texture Quality
You're the GPU guy, it is about time you got here! I am not a huge GPU stud like you! You got skillz, remember? Mad Jumps!
 
HDPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Asus Prime X370-Pro MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA DDR4 3200 Kingston SSDNow 120GB WD Green 2TB WD Black 2 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung DVDR Ek Supremacy Evo Blue Edition XSPC RX360 Radiator Swiftech MCP 655b 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Windows 10 e-Machine 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky DK9008 G2 Keyboard PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Lanboy Air Logitech G400s 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA GTX 770 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston SSDNow 120GB XSPC Rasa Acetal XSPC Pump/Res  Ek GTX 770 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Vizio 58" 4k Logitec Wireless Coolmax 600w 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitec Wireless Realtor HD Audio  
  hide details  
Reply
 
HDPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Asus Prime X370-Pro MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA DDR4 3200 Kingston SSDNow 120GB WD Green 2TB WD Black 2 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung DVDR Ek Supremacy Evo Blue Edition XSPC RX360 Radiator Swiftech MCP 655b 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Windows 10 e-Machine 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky DK9008 G2 Keyboard PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Lanboy Air Logitech G400s 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA GTX 770 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston SSDNow 120GB XSPC Rasa Acetal XSPC Pump/Res  Ek GTX 770 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Vizio 58" 4k Logitec Wireless Coolmax 600w 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitec Wireless Realtor HD Audio  
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusCaik View Post
Hello fellow overclockers,

Yesterday and today I noticed an issue when playing Crysis Warhead for about an hour. I had been playing it on 1920x1080, 16xQ, and Enthusiast.
I think you're expecting a little too much from your hardware... Enthusiast uses huge textures, and 16xQ AA on top of that is going to eat your VRAM fast. It sounds like you're just overloading your frame buffer.

Quote:
Had similar issue with 6850 1GB no overclock. Crysis 1 would lag hard and then completely freeze on me.
^Another 1GB card.

Edit: Ninja'd by Brettjv!... 40 minutes ago
post #27 of 36
 
HDPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Asus Prime X370-Pro MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA DDR4 3200 Kingston SSDNow 120GB WD Green 2TB WD Black 2 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung DVDR Ek Supremacy Evo Blue Edition XSPC RX360 Radiator Swiftech MCP 655b 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Windows 10 e-Machine 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky DK9008 G2 Keyboard PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Lanboy Air Logitech G400s 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA GTX 770 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston SSDNow 120GB XSPC Rasa Acetal XSPC Pump/Res  Ek GTX 770 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Vizio 58" 4k Logitec Wireless Coolmax 600w 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitec Wireless Realtor HD Audio  
  hide details  
Reply
 
HDPC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Ryzen 7 1700x Asus Prime X370-Pro MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 MSI Hawk Ek GTX 1070 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
EVGA DDR4 3200 Kingston SSDNow 120GB WD Green 2TB WD Black 2 TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung DVDR Ek Supremacy Evo Blue Edition XSPC RX360 Radiator Swiftech MCP 655b 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK XSPC Dual Bay Reservoir Windows 10 e-Machine 23" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
OCN Ducky DK9008 G2 Keyboard PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W Antec Lanboy Air Logitech G400s 
Audio
Realtek HD Audio 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus Sabertooth P67 EVGA GTX 770 G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Kingston SSDNow 120GB XSPC Rasa Acetal XSPC Pump/Res  Ek GTX 770 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Vizio 58" 4k Logitec Wireless Coolmax 600w 
CaseMouseAudio
Antec 300 Logitec Wireless Realtor HD Audio  
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
Have a look at your TMPIN#2. That is your VRMs/MOSFETs. They are a 4+1 unheatsinked and since you are probably like most of us using aftermarket cooling, uncooled. Since your Phenom II x2 is unlocked and overclocked, you are pushing a processor of higher than 125W TDP. 4+1 phase cooling aren't exactly made for that high TDP - especially if they are unheatsinked and uncooled in this way.You may have seen me and others posting around about VRMs. Due to the recent wave/surge in (catastrophic, i.e. explosions & fire) VRM failures back in February I took it to the playing field and created a thread about it. Back to the topic (your system), at 82C, your VRMs are overheating very much. To protect themself/prevent from frying, your Gigabyte board is enabling its OCP protection (throttling the CPU down along with voltages until the VRMs cool to a safe level). This throttling down of your CPU is, through VRM overheating, what is causing your framerate drops.

You need to either upgrade your board to a proper VRM system (this I highly recommend esp. with the availability of and upcoming surge in affordable AM3+ socket motherboards), add VRM cooling in the form of heatsinks and a fan to bring airflow to that area, or lock those two cores down to return the CPU back to dual core (much lower power consumption) to prevent the VRMs from overheating.
TMPIN#2 stays at 81c even when my processor is a dual core. It stayed that way when it was at 3.2ghz, too, that's why I completely ignore that. I have a 1 foot fan sitting right on my computer as I live in Florida and it tends to get hot during the day. All my temps drop, my CPU idles at 22c, my GPU at 28c and my VRMs stay at 81c nonetheless. If you want proof, here it is:
Skyline
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|B55 3.6| |Gigabyte MA770UD3| |GTX460SE 900/2000| |4GB G.Skill 1600| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|1Tb 7200rpm| |W7u 64bit| |23" Acer LED| |Hec-X Pro 750w| 
Case
|Blitz Mid-Tower| 
  hide details  
Reply
Skyline
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|B55 3.6| |Gigabyte MA770UD3| |GTX460SE 900/2000| |4GB G.Skill 1600| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|1Tb 7200rpm| |W7u 64bit| |23" Acer LED| |Hec-X Pro 750w| 
Case
|Blitz Mid-Tower| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 36
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post
I think you're expecting a little too much from your hardware... Enthusiast uses huge textures, and 16xQ AA on top of that is going to eat your VRAM fast. It sounds like you're just overloading your frame buffer.

^Another 1GB card.

Edit: Ninja'd by Brettjv!... 40 minutes ago
Yes, I understand that, but why is it so sudden? W H Y !??!?!
Skyline
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|B55 3.6| |Gigabyte MA770UD3| |GTX460SE 900/2000| |4GB G.Skill 1600| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|1Tb 7200rpm| |W7u 64bit| |23" Acer LED| |Hec-X Pro 750w| 
Case
|Blitz Mid-Tower| 
  hide details  
Reply
Skyline
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|B55 3.6| |Gigabyte MA770UD3| |GTX460SE 900/2000| |4GB G.Skill 1600| 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
|1Tb 7200rpm| |W7u 64bit| |23" Acer LED| |Hec-X Pro 750w| 
Case
|Blitz Mid-Tower| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusCaik View Post
Yes, I understand that, but why is it so sudden? W H Y !??!?!
VRAM usage fluctuates throughout any game. In some cases it steadily builds the longer you play.

Once you go over your limit, your system starts swapping the extra data back and forth from your hard drive, hence the sudden, crappy performance.

Like brett said, MSI afterburner's OSD will show you exactly how much you're using at any given moment. Lower the AA and/or cut the textures back down to "gamer" and you should be fine.

Why would you be running Crysis with those kind of settings on a single 460se anyway?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › Gtx460SE sudden FPS drops in Crysis WH?