Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [USA Today] Reputation of Playstation Takes Pounding
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[USA Today] Reputation of Playstation Takes Pounding - Page 4  

post #31 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyFan View Post
Yes it is Sony's fault. The majority of companies do not get hacked and lose 103 million private accounts and credit cards. Do you see Microsoft or Nintendo consoles getting hacked? No, you do not, because they take security seriously. Microsoft stands for quality, Nintendo stands for quality, these are quality companies. Sony is not a quality company, and it has finally caught up to them.
Nintendo consoles are the main consoles this gen that are getting hacked and actually able to play online... (Borrowed my first hacked Wii one time and played SSBB online). Sony not a quality company? I strongly disagree. I will agree that when it comes to gaming MS is not a quality company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Not Sony's fault?

That's an interesting stance to take on gross negligence and abject incompetence.
I use to think it was their fault at first. Then I did something called research.
post #32 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post
Saying "Sony should of known better" is like saying "Her boyfriend should of know better to not put a condom on" when it was the girlfriends fault that she did not enforce it. It is typically the victims fault when it comes to this stuff. If you added your personal info it is YOUR fault, NOT Sony's because last time I checked, Sony has no part in putting in your personal info only you do.
Right... I'm sorry but that's not how it works. By that logic it would mean if someone was to be assaulted or raped for example, it's their fault because they didn't stop it. That's ridiculous. Yes users put in their own info, I'll agree with you on that, but people did so trusting sony to keep that information secure. There's laws protecting people's private information, and like some people have mentionned, Sony's security was far from stellar. Sony should've been protected better considering how much sensitive information was stored.
Little Avenger
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K Asus P8P67-M EVGA GTX 670 2GB  Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 840 EVO WD Black 320GB Xigmatek Dark Knight Hawk Edition P/P Windows 8 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VS247H-P x2 Cooler Master Quickfire Stealth Corsair TX650W BitFenix Raider 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
CoolerMaster Recon SteelSeries Qck Mini Creative Recon 3D Sennheiser PC350 
  hide details  
Little Avenger
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K Asus P8P67-M EVGA GTX 670 2GB  Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz (2x4GB) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
120GB Samsung 840 EVO WD Black 320GB Xigmatek Dark Knight Hawk Edition P/P Windows 8 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus VS247H-P x2 Cooler Master Quickfire Stealth Corsair TX650W BitFenix Raider 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
CoolerMaster Recon SteelSeries Qck Mini Creative Recon 3D Sennheiser PC350 
  hide details  
post #33 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post
Remember when XBL went down in Winter of 2007?
It went down because they sold 2x as many 360's and 3x as many Zune's as predicted, and both of those products require a XBL/Windows Live login account. That is an understandable situation that does not harm Microsoft's reputation. No company can afford to set up 80 billion servers every time they launch a product on the rare off-chance it sells a lot, then take them all offline and through them in the garbage if it does not.
post #34 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomThruPoom View Post
When the network goes back up Sony is going to be flooded with PSN users wanting to buy addons, avatars, themes etc.

Might set some records for Sony when all goes back online. $$$

And with new firmware update to get back on PSN. Means no custom firmwares online.

Means Sony +1 over hackers/piracy. For now.

Sony could be in a position to make more money and control their network than ever before. Well after all this is over.

Especially if Sony keeps making people update to get back online. Which I'm sure they will.
+1 for being sensible. Sure the PSN may be down but at the time they bring PSN back up those servers will be flooded with logins.
post #35 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post
Saying "Sony should of known better" is like saying "Her boyfriend should of know better to not put a condom on" when it was the girlfriends fault that she did not enforce it. It is typically the victims fault when it comes to this stuff. If you added your personal info it is YOUR fault, NOT Sony's because last time I checked, Sony has no part in putting in your personal info only you do.
So your saying that we should never give any online company our info? What about paypal? Do you not use paypal because they might lose you info? You have to trust someone, and before this Sony seemed to be a trustworthy company.
SG03
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Gigabyte G41M-Combo ASUS GTX 460 DirectCU CORSAIR XMS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Scorpio Blue 500GB LG DVD Writer Corsair H50 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23.6" 1080p X2 abs M1 SilverStone Strider Plus 750w SilverStone SG03 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 ALLSOP 
  hide details  
SG03
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 Gigabyte G41M-Combo ASUS GTX 460 DirectCU CORSAIR XMS 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Scorpio Blue 500GB LG DVD Writer Corsair H50 Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 23.6" 1080p X2 abs M1 SilverStone Strider Plus 750w SilverStone SG03 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G500 ALLSOP 
  hide details  
post #36 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post
I use to think it was their fault at first. Then I did something called research.
I've done the research, and heard your argument.

The idea that Sony is not at fault for this breach is completely ludicrous.
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
post #37 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAvenger View Post
Right... I'm sorry but that's not how it works. By that logic it would mean if someone was to be assaulted or raped for example, it's their fault because they didn't stop it. That's ridiculous. Yes users put in their own info, I'll agree with you on that, but people did so trusting sony to keep that information secure. There's laws protecting people's private information, and like some people have mentionned, Sony's security was far from stellar. Sony should've been protected better considering how much sensitive information was stored.
And it's their fault for trusting an online network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandrew View Post
So your saying that we should never give any online company our info? What about paypal? Do you not use paypal because they might lose you info? You have to trust someone, and before this Sony seemed to be a trustworthy company.
It's called taking risks. Every company has had data leaks. It's common.
post #38 of 82
You guys are retarded. It's Sony's AND the hacker(s) fault. It's not rocket science people..
post #39 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paratrooper1n0 View Post
Nintendo consoles are the main consoles this gen that are getting hacked and actually able to play online... (Borrowed my first hacked Wii one time and played SSBB online). Sony not a quality company? I strongly disagree. I will agree that when it comes to gaming MS is not a quality company.
You've got to be the most obnoxious fanboy I've ever seen. Not only are you simply denying everyone else's views on what happened, but you take the chance to crap on Microsoft and their Xbox, as well as Nintendo's Wii. Nobody cares that it gets hacked without banning; at least they didn't loose millions of credit card numbers and information because of a faulty security system.

It was clearly Sony's fault that their user data wasn't kept secure, as someone already pointed out. And I'm not saying that it's impossible for other companies to have data leaks, but their info was kept way below modern standards, with no firewalls or any failsafe system to prevent such a loss.
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-2720QM Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3-1333 Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 
OSMonitor
Arch Linux w/ OpenBox B156HW01 V.4 FHD Panel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon L5639 @ 3.24-3.60GHz Asus P6X58D Premium Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce3 6x2GB G.Skill Pi 1600MHz CL7-8-7 @ 1440MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB + Samsung 1TB 2.5" Windows 7 x64 2x Dell U2311H Rosewill RK-9000 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-850HT Lian Li PC-9F 
  hide details  
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7-2720QM Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3-1333 Samsung 850 EVO 120GB 
OSMonitor
Arch Linux w/ OpenBox B156HW01 V.4 FHD Panel 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon L5639 @ 3.24-3.60GHz Asus P6X58D Premium Gigabyte HD7950 Windforce3 6x2GB G.Skill Pi 1600MHz CL7-8-7 @ 1440MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB + Samsung 1TB 2.5" Windows 7 x64 2x Dell U2311H Rosewill RK-9000 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-850HT Lian Li PC-9F 
  hide details  
post #40 of 82
Man that one guy feels the need to reply a lot. As to everyone dissing him, you are completely correct.

OP: Of course sony's rep is going downhill. It did with lots of little groups the moment OtherOS was taken out, and even more when they started their witch hunt on "hackers" who were legally modifying something that they owned and being open enough to share it with others who wanted to do the same. The entire network hack was a eye opener to the mass consumer base because of the media attention it has gained.
I do agree with others that Sony is a large enough company that it's just a matter of time before this is dust in the wind though. Just like their whole rootkit cd's are.
Synthkart
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T Asus Onboard x4200 2x2GB GeIL DDR 1333 (9-9-9) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Sata3.0 Liteon iHAS124 Win7 x64 Some old crt 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
digital Raidmax-450K Some cheap raidmax Labtec 
Mouse Pad
  hide details  
Synthkart
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
1055T Asus Onboard x4200 2x2GB GeIL DDR 1333 (9-9-9) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Sata3.0 Liteon iHAS124 Win7 x64 Some old crt 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
digital Raidmax-450K Some cheap raidmax Labtec 
Mouse Pad
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [USA Today] Reputation of Playstation Takes Pounding