Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Is this caused by a loose inductor? What could be going on here?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is this caused by a loose inductor? What could be going on here? - Page 3

post #21 of 26
I think this is what it looks like on the inside:



Maybe that'll help you fix it, since the rma's not going well.You could probably buy a new one and solder it on.

All it does is filter the incoming power signal. That wire wrapped around the magnetic core crates a magnetic field that, by nature, resists changes in current.

Edit:

Or is it a mosfet, and it doesn't look like that at all inside?
Edited by PARTON - 5/11/11 at 7:10am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.7(1.416v load) Gigabyte P67 UD4 Diamond HD 7970 1250/1800 4 x 4GB Mushkin Blackline 1.35v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
830 256GB & (3) Spinpoint F3's win7 x64 LG W2363D-PF Silverstone DA800 
Case
FT-02B 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.7(1.416v load) Gigabyte P67 UD4 Diamond HD 7970 1250/1800 4 x 4GB Mushkin Blackline 1.35v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
830 256GB & (3) Spinpoint F3's win7 x64 LG W2363D-PF Silverstone DA800 
Case
FT-02B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PARTON View Post
I think this is what it looks like on the inside:



Maybe that'll help you fix it, since the rma's not going well.You could probably buy a new one and solder it on.

All it does is filter the incoming power signal. That wire wrapped around the magnetic core crates a magnetic field that, by nature, resists changes in current.

Edit:

Or is it a mosfet, and it doesn't look like that at all inside?
Thanks man, but I'm simply a bad solderer.
I will get this RMA done, no matter how tuff it's gonna be...

googling for images of "inductor" now I'm just not sure that thing even is an inductor..
Anyways, I'll RMA it and sleep well at night
post #23 of 26
ITS AN INDUCTOR!!!

*If you have inductors "loosening" from your PCB...your GPU got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo Hhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttt ... and yeah.. thats hot! Inductor temps had to be at least 240F to start softening the solder.. MOre than likely your GPU cooked and has other issues.
post #24 of 26
Or you could have damaged it while taking off the cooler.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 26
Maybe you whacked it at some point and didn't realize it.

I've heard that it's possible to damage electrical components with physical impacts. Further testing must be done.

Give one of the good ones a smack and see if you can replicate condition.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.7(1.416v load) Gigabyte P67 UD4 Diamond HD 7970 1250/1800 4 x 4GB Mushkin Blackline 1.35v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
830 256GB & (3) Spinpoint F3's win7 x64 LG W2363D-PF Silverstone DA800 
Case
FT-02B 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.7(1.416v load) Gigabyte P67 UD4 Diamond HD 7970 1250/1800 4 x 4GB Mushkin Blackline 1.35v 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
830 256GB & (3) Spinpoint F3's win7 x64 LG W2363D-PF Silverstone DA800 
Case
FT-02B 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 26
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL3P20 View Post
ITS AN INDUCTOR!!!

*If you have inductors "loosening" from your PCB...your GPU got waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa yyyyyyyyyyy tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo Hhhoooooooooooooooooooooooooooottttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttt ... and yeah.. thats hot! Inductor temps had to be at least 240F to start softening the solder.. MOre than likely your GPU cooked and has other issues.
I prefer what somebody above said.. that the mosfet behind it could have caused a short
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post
Or you could have damaged it while taking off the cooler.
Yep, thought of that, but the cooler came out smoothly without any force and sicne it wasn't the first time I removed a 5870 I already knew what do to. I worked on a proper surface and everything else. Besides I only took of this cooler after the card started showing problems and after I reassembled it it's working just like before
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Is this caused by a loose inductor? What could be going on here?