Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Need suggestion: Decent $400 mini-ITX budget gaming rig
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need suggestion: Decent $400 mini-ITX budget gaming rig - Page 2

post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by a pet rock View Post
Buying piece by piece is a good way to lose money. New things come out, prices drop and things your rig needs might become unavailable. Save some money, and then buy it all at once.

If you absolutely need a rig now, look at Llano. A8-3850, mATX mobo, 4GB RAM, 300W PSU, HTPC case, HDD. That's about $300-$400 depending on prices but doesn't have much of an upgrade path. After that just save your money and build $800 rigs every year, instead of scrounging for upgrades every quarter.

A Llano cpu is a nice choice but how could you suggest anyone build a rig with a 300w psu when a much better can be had for the cost of a tank of gas? For casual pc's there are places like walmart where you can buy a nice cheap prebuilt vanilla pc with all the lackluster parts you could ever want. Best part is you don't have to build it.

Besides he can throw any upgrades out the window for his fancy Llano with a hamster on a wheel powering his rig lol.
Edited by DigitrevX - 8/20/11 at 11:53pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX View Post
A Llano cpu is a nice choice but how could you suggest anyone build a rig with a 300w psu when a much better can be had for the cost of a tank of gas? For casual pc's there are places like walmart where you can buy a nice cheap prebuilt vanilla pc with all the lackluster parts you could ever want. Best part is you don't have to build it.

Besides he can throw any upgrades out the window for his fancy Llano with a hamster on a wheel powering his rig lol.
1. More watts =/= better.
2. Llano APU pulls at most 200W with P95+Furmark.
3. 300W will be enough for APU crossfire.
4. Suggesting a walmart computer instead of homemade? Get off OCN.

Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by a pet rock View Post
1. More watts =/= better.
2. Llano APU pulls at most 200W with P95+Furmark.
3. 300W will be enough for APU crossfire.
4. Suggesting a walmart computer instead of homemade? Get off OCN.

There is no room for any modifications or improvment if your suggesting someone to get a psu that produces peak 300w. Prebuilt pc's come with psu's better then that. You do understand a psu running at peak is not only does not supply clean power but is inefficient.
I was being sarcastic with the walmart suggetion because thats exactly what you are suggesting someone to buy. A dirt cheap psu that barly covers the basics. (Maybe you havn't price checked whats out there for 30-65 dollars) Since this forum exists to share knowledge, suggestions, idea's, and info I don't believe part of what you are suggesting is good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a pet rock View Post
Get off OCN.
Comments like these are not going to win anyone over in fact its the quickest way to be shown the door.
Edited by DigitrevX - 8/21/11 at 9:28pm
post #14 of 22
You still missed the big point. I repeat myself: more watts =/= better. I don't know how much clearer I can be. The fact that a PSU is only 300 watts does not automatically make it suck at the important stuff like voltage regulation, noise, and efficiency. Yes, you can buy a PoS 300W power supply, you can also buy even worse 1200W power supplies.

And no, prebuilt PSUs do NOT come with better than that. They come with crappy OEM power supplies that have just enough juice for the rig and basically fall completely out of ATX spec on everything. Please for the love of all that is holy. When I say 300W, I mean a good 300W PSU. Not some crappy OEM power supply that only passes ATX spec on the wrapper.

Yes, I know what efficiency is and yes I know that efficiency drops the closer you get to 100% load. Unless you spend more time running P95+Furmark than idle, the PSU shouldn't have it's best efficiency at your rig's peak. Please read some of Phaedrus's threads and some Jonny Guru articles before spouting nonsense about power supplies. Better yet, just start another thread asking if a completely overkill PSU is actually good for your rig or not.
Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by a pet rock View Post
You still missed the big point. I repeat myself: more watts =/= better. I don't know how much clearer I can be. The fact that a PSU is only 300 watts does not automatically make it suck at the important stuff like voltage regulation, noise, and efficiency. Yes, you can buy a PoS 300W power supply, you can also buy even worse 1200W power supplies.

And no, prebuilt PSUs do NOT come with better than that. They come with crappy OEM power supplies that have just enough juice for the rig and basically fall completely out of ATX spec on everything. Please for the love of all that is holy. When I say 300W, I mean a good 300W PSU. Not some crappy OEM power supply that only passes ATX spec on the wrapper.

Yes, I know what efficiency is and yes I know that efficiency drops the closer you get to 100% load. Unless you spend more time running P95+Furmark than idle, the PSU shouldn't have it's best efficiency at your rig's peak. Please read some of Phaedrus's threads and some Jonny Guru articles before spouting nonsense about power supplies. Better yet, just start another thread asking if a completely overkill PSU is actually good for your rig or not.
I've read plenty thank you and have done this long enough to know even the best psu at nearly 100% isn't the best suggestion. No kidding wattage doesn't mean quality but nor is it the most brilliant idea to run a psu at peak because you bought a honda to pull your jet ski.. How exactly is it sound advice telling someone buy a 300w psu quality or not for a gaming application and give them no room to upgrade it. Seriously.

Much much better can be had for $400. It doesn't mean take the first thing that pops up on newegg and it doesn't have to be 600w. I never said anything about over killing a budget rig but I'm telling you now buying 300w for gaming is a terrible suggestion for anyone that wants to play any modern game and be satisfied.

Look at the games he wants to play. Crysis II, CoD MW for example. Start thinking about the idea, what if he wants to upgrade his monitor then his video card. Oh that's right he can't, he bought a 300w psu. I'm sure the Llano he spent nearly 1/3 of his budget on will shine in the games he wants to play.
I digress.

To the OP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139026
34.99 w/MIR and you may apply for the $2 shipping.

Myself and I've seen others buy on OCN pick up this psu for budget builds just to have modular psu for small cases.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341016
$65 shipping now $3

Maybe I'll do some more digging during lunch.
Edited by DigitrevX - 8/22/11 at 7:50am
post #16 of 22
I hope you guys realize this is a necro thread.
Main home rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 670 8GB Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 330 240GB SSD, Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD... Samsung DVDRW CoolIt Eco Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 305T Plus, Dell 2005FPW Cooler Master QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboard Rosewill Capstone 450W Lian Li PC-Q11B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Allsop Metal Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, Polk bookshelf speaker... 
  hide details  
Reply
Main home rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-3570K ASRock Z77E-ITX GeForce GTX 670 8GB Samsung DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Intel 330 240GB SSD, Crucial M4 256GB mSATA SSD... Samsung DVDRW CoolIt Eco Windows 7 Home Premium x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 305T Plus, Dell 2005FPW Cooler Master QuickFire Pro mechanical keyboard Rosewill Capstone 450W Lian Li PC-Q11B 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech MX518 Allsop Metal Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver, Polk bookshelf speaker... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap View Post
I hope you guys realize this is a necro thread.
Yep I bumped it.
These budget builds are interesting and becoming more popular. I probably wouldn't have followed up until I saw what pet rock was posting. Like many I read old threads for info and sometimes see poor suggestions that I'm sure people take just because its on this site. In this case I can't agree with pet rocks suggestion when the cost of quality psu that will provide the amps and watts needed to run modern hardware is not going to cost much.
Edited by DigitrevX - 8/22/11 at 8:30am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitrevX View Post
In this case I can't agree with pet rocks suggestion when the cost of quality psu that will provide the amps and watts needed to run modern hardware is not going to cost much.
What are you arguing about? A quality PSU in the 300s will provide the amps and watts and every other doohickey that Llano (very modern hardware) will need even if you crossfire the APU. And no, it won't cost much.

I completely agree with you. Please, move on.

Four reviews of power consumption of an A8-3850. For consideration.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...-3850-review/8
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4476/amd-a83850-review/9
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...o,2975-18.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...esktop-22.html
Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by a pet rock View Post
What are you arguing about? A quality PSU in the 300s will provide the amps and watts and every other doohickey that Llano (very modern hardware) will need even if you crossfire the APU. And no, it won't cost much.

I completely agree with you. Please, move on.

Four reviews of power consumption of an A8-3850. For consideration.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpu...-3850-review/8
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4476/amd-a83850-review/9
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...o,2975-18.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...esktop-22.html
*shakeshead* It really is tragic I'm stuck at work on a build night or I'd have better things to do. Considering most if not all cards in demand for "gaming" go for even $100 these days require 400w minimum I'd like to see you take your own advice.
post #20 of 22
Oh, yeah. If you're gonna use a GTX460, get 400W+. Maybe a 380W if you're either not overclocking or running a low power CPU. But, if you're using a good discrete GPU like a 460 or higher, buying into Llano is a mistake. The point of Llano is either, no discrete GPU or Hybrid crossfire with like a 6550D which is very low power. Llano's APU is basically the cheapest gaming solution right now simply because you don't need a discrete card.
Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
Jane
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Zotac H55ITX-C-E Sapphire 7850 4GB Corsair XMS 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F3 1TB Antec 620 Windows 7 Samsung BX2331 23" LED 
PowerCaseAudio
Silverstone 45SF 450W Silverstone SG05 Swan M10 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Need suggestion: Decent $400 mini-ITX budget gaming rig