Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › New release before Kepler?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New release before Kepler? - Page 3

post #21 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
I think you got it a bit wrong

Fermi = 40nm
Kepler = 28nm

Fermi cannot be based on 28nm since 40 nm != 28nm

I actually highly doubt that there will be another release at this point.
Nvidia has saved huge amounts of financial funds in the creation and production of the GTX 590.
I don´t think that they could afford to develope card other than Kepler right now because I am sure their funding is highly occupied by the development of Kepler.

Also it wouldn´t be a very clever move from the marketing point of view because customers would only be confused in my oppinion.

Kepler will hopefull ybe released in summer...many rumors say it will.
the name is based on architecture not process. 28nm fermi would just be a die shrink, sort of like how there are 65nm and 45nm core 2 cpus, or a better example would be the 65nm/55nm gtx 260
T420
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2410m Lenovo Intel HD 3000 8GB GSkill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX Windows 7 Ubuntu 14" 1600x900 
Case
Thinkpad 
  hide details  
Reply
T420
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2410m Lenovo Intel HD 3000 8GB GSkill DDR3 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Kingston HyperX Windows 7 Ubuntu 14" 1600x900 
Case
Thinkpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
I think you got it a bit wrong

Fermi = 40nm
Kepler = 28nm

Fermi cannot be based on 28nm since 40 nm != 28nm

I actually highly doubt that there will be another release at this point.
Nvidia has saved huge amounts of financial funds in the creation and production of the GTX 590.
I don´t think that they could afford to develope card other than Kepler right now because I am sure their funding is highly occupied by the development of Kepler.

Also it wouldn´t be a very clever move from the marketing point of view because customers would only be confused in my oppinion.

Kepler will hopefull ybe released in summer...many rumors say it will.
Duckies right I believe. Fermi is the Architecture.
post #23 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by col musstard View Post
the name is based on architecture not process. 28nm fermi would just be a die shrink, sort of like how there are 65nm and 45nm core 2 cpus, or a better example would be the 65nm/55nm gtx 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Therefore expect at least one Fermi-based GPU on 28nm.
That is what he said.
Fermi is the designation for the chip based on the 40 nanometer architecture and technology.

Kepler is the designation for the chip based on the 28 nanometer architecture and technology.

They are competely unequal? both in their structure, architecture and core design?
And none can be based on the other ?
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
I think you got it a bit wrong

Fermi = 40nm
Kepler = 28nm
I see your logic, but unfortunately, you are wrong.

There are two ways to get to 28nm:

1.) Create a completely new architecture (Kepler).
2.) Downgrade a current architecture, such as with the GT 240. It's 40nm, but it's not based on Fermi.
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 42
28nm Fermi is without a doubt possible. They did it with the GTX 200 series.
post #26 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBcobra View Post
28nm Fermi is without a doubt possible. They did it with the GTX 200 series.
28nm Fermi is only going to be used for the lower-end cards.

They'll shrink GT116 down to 28nm, give it <92 SPs and market it for HTPCs.
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
White Phoenix
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 GTX 480 SLi G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) 1600/CL7 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Crucial C300 256GB LG 6x BD-RW/HD-DVD Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit Dell 'PLP' - 2007FP | 3007WFP-HC | 2007FP 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Silverstone 1000w [80A]-Rail Antec p190 (Modded) Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Steelpad SteelSeries Experience I-2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
I see your logic, but unfortunately, you are wrong.

There are two ways to get to 28nm:

1.) Create a completely new architecture (Kepler).
2.) Downgrade a current architecture, such as with the GT 240. It's 40nm, but it's not based on Fermi.
Ok considering that of course it is possible but from the subjective perspective it is still a no.

Downgrading yes you are right!
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 42
FATALITY


sorry...
post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascii Aficionado View Post
FATALITY


sorry...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
haha.


1.)Come here!
2.)Fatality
3.)Flawless Victory!
Way ahead of you
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track View Post
28nm Fermi is only going to be used for the lower-end cards.

They'll shrink GT116 down to 28nm, give it <92 SPs and market it for HTPCs.
Exactly what I was thinking. It would be smarter for them to try it on a lower end card because at that point it would just be more financially viable. Creating a new higher end card costs more to produce and it probably would not sell to well, however a lower end card is easier and cheaper to produce and would be a great choice to try the shrink on.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › New release before Kepler?