Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Disabling PowerPlay on 5870 seems to be failing
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Disabling PowerPlay on 5870 seems to be failing

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
I have a Sapphire 1GB GDDR5 5870.

I've gotten fed up with PowerPlay, specifically when it sets my clock speeds to 2D just because I left a YouTube video open in the background while playing a game. I tried several software options, including Afterburner and Trixx to try to "lock" the speeds but none of it worked, so I decided to flash a modified BIOS.

Here's what it looked like before:



And what I have it at now:



The reason I chose 1.125 was because when games were blue screening, that's what the voltage was at according to Trixx. When I put all the voltages at 1.125, games stopped crashing and they run great....but anything involving Flash instantly blue screens my computer 95% of the time, or resets the GPU the other 5% ("driver has recovered" message).

So what I'm wondering is...what am I doing wrong? I notice the newer BIOS' off of the Techpowerup site don't allow me to change the 4 voltage settings for the GPU and memory, so I stuck with the newest that did. Also, what does the "--" mean for voltage?
Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
just use afterburner.. and set "unofficial overclocking" = 2

This will disable power play and keep 3d voltage enabled 24/7
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
2?! Hmmmm I tried it with 1, because several other threads mentioned that, and it didn't work. What's the functional difference in what Afterburner does between 2 and 1, do you know? Regardless, I'll give that a shot. Should I revert back to the stock bios then?
Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
In Afterburner -> setting "unofficial overclocking" to...

1 = enables higher overclocking features with afterburner
2 = the same but disables power play

it shouldnt matter what BIOS you use..if it has powerplay, using setting 2 will disable it in AB.

*I use this feature on my 6950, with AB 2.0b
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
I tried two things:

- Changing Afterburner to 2 and opening Flash. This immediately crashed my system like before
- Reverting the BIOS back to stock and rebooting. After coming back, I'm presented with this:

Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Thread Starter 
Yep, I'm now unable to change anything with any tool. The card/driver just flat ignores it. At least I can play Flash, I guess, but I'm back to putting up with the stupid PowerPlay...
Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 1800x Asus Crosshair VI Hero Fury-X 16GB DDR4 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Disabling PowerPlay on 5870 seems to be failing