Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › >>The Official ASUS P8P67/P8Z68 & P8Z68/GEN3 Series Owners Club>>
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

>>The Official ASUS P8P67/P8Z68 & P8Z68/GEN3 Series Owners Club>> - Page 589

post #5881 of 9343
Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post

You'll probably find this a nit-picky point, but it is not a 6x32 screw, but a 6-32 screw. 6 gauge and 32 threads per inch. Not to be confused with 6/32" either.

Great info. I'm an engineer by training, so I like things nit picked. But now I have to find one of those screw packets, you've got me thinking (did I go with metric......)....
post #5882 of 9343
Ho do I get added to the owners list?
post #5883 of 9343
Start out by actually letting us know that you have a board ph34r-smiley.gif
Orange Bliss
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8Z68 Deluxe /gen3 GTX 560ti 448 cores Corsair Vengeance 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Watercooled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus 22" Thermaltake 1000W 
Case
Antec P182; Custom Painted 
  hide details  
Reply
Orange Bliss
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500K Asus P8Z68 Deluxe /gen3 GTX 560ti 448 cores Corsair Vengeance 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Watercooled Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Asus 22" Thermaltake 1000W 
Case
Antec P182; Custom Painted 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5884 of 9343
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolvik View Post

Start out by actually letting us know that you have a board ph34r-smiley.gif

Okay, I have the asus p8z68-v/gen3
post #5885 of 9343
Or read the first post.
My System
(16 items)
 
Laptop
(6 items)
 
Home Server
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM Clevo P151HM1 nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333MHz  
Hard DriveOS
750GB 7200RPM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
Laptop
(6 items)
 
Home Server
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2630QM Clevo P151HM1 nVidia GeForce GTX 560M 8GB DDR3 1333MHz  
Hard DriveOS
750GB 7200RPM Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5886 of 9343
I don't get it, why can't ASUS releases a new BIOS for the P8Z68-V/GEN3 that is the counterpart of the new BIOS which was released for the P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3?
post #5887 of 9343
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathelm View Post

I'm pretty sure #6x32 are right, ( I took the ones that came with it to the hardware store) they aren't as tight as the ones that came with it, but they tighten down so... I've been looking for the little packs they came in to make sure, but can't seem to find them. Oh well, let us know what Corsair says...
btw, I actually used ones that were 1.5" long because that's what I had. Point is there are no tubes/fins between the 2 sides.
I used a 4 pin (PWM) Y cable spliter from newegg to power the 2 fans. Also Here's a good article on making your own "speed reducer" cable.
My office is on the south side of the house, so heat is an issue during the summer, and it makes a huge diff in both room and cpu temp....
Yea, I've been looking for one a those easy-bake oven cookbooks.... But with this 3650 I idle at about 29c (86) so not hot enough for cooking. Maybe when I get around to this new board and a I7 at say 5Ghz.....Then it'll be brownie time....thumb.gif
EDIT:
Don't know if they make a "old man" kit for you or not... will keep looking though, how much time do I have?....lol
369

Same here, they didn't tighten down as well as the ones that came with the H60, but did work. I see we have someone that knows a bit more about the screw (which is great) and this might confirm my belief it's a metric or I don't know the number of threads to the size screw. (Which of course I forgot to go to Corsairs site and ask, so I'm looking now as that has to be a common question). ((And found it, here's the answer: The screw thread and length are 6 x 32 x 1 1/4" #6 machine thread, 32 TPI (threads per inch), 1.25 inches in length. )) So "alancsalt" is correct 100%. And to answer the question of the packages, "Dubro" makes the packages. I was very heavily into RC Planes (hence the handle) at one time and built a lot (way too many) RC planes. Dubro makes a ton of the small parts and machined screws, etc; that I used to use and that's where I found that I had some without running to the hardware store. Although they fit, they still didn't feel like they fit 100% like the original. Anyway, since the radiator is built from Aluminum the threaded holes are very easy to strip or to get an 'off thread' to fit, but once taken out won't be the same putting them back. So when I do the first cleaning (in about 4+ months from now) I'll tap new threads and use the proper thread for the new tap so I don't continually mess things up worse.

I didn't know they made a splitter 4-pin cable...thanks, I will purchase one. I just plugged into an open chassis fan plug that I had (didn't want too, but did). This will (obviously) be much better.

At this point the length of time left is anyone's guess......I hope for my sake I have at least 20+ more years. But at the rate my poor body has been breaking down lately I fear there won't be much left of me, so hurry! ....lol....
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolvik View Post

Yes, it should go through a number of codes on boot before it settles at AA, however, it should not act like you're describing.
Mind giving us the whole list of components?
Someone please correct me here though, the sleep-function is known to be somewhat buggy on Sandy Bridge(?)/this generation in general.
- Personally I can't comment on that, as I don't use the sleep function, and hardly ever shut my PC down.

Like you, I have never shut down a computer that I've built until now. I decided with this build that I would use the sleep function and (hopefully) save some wear & tear on parts (and possibly save some electricity). Anyway, so far I have not had any problems with the sleep function (knock on wood). If the Sandy Bridge is buggy in this department I haven't seen it (nor have I read anything on it, but I do not doubt you). I can only say it seems to be working flawlessly for me (so far).
Quote:
Originally Posted by alancsalt View Post

You'll probably find this a nit-picky point, but it is not a 6x32 screw, but a 6-32 screw. 6 gauge and 32 threads per inch. Not to be confused with 6/32" either.
Quote:
The 6-32 is a UTS screw with a major thread diameter of 0.1380 inches and a tpi (threads per inch, imperial threads) of 32 tpi. It is by far the most common screw found inside computer cases and commonly appears in lengths of 0.15 and 0.25 in. Nearly every brand new computer case comes with a bag of these. They are used:
To fasten a power supply to the case
To fasten a hard disk drive to the case
To hold an expansion card in place by its metal slot cover
To fasten case components to one another, like fans onto radiators.
Usually, a 6-32 screw holds the main cover on the case. When it's not a 6-32, a larger 8-32 is the most likely alternative.
Of all the screws provided by computer case manufacturers, the 6-32 screw typically has the coarsest threading. They are almost always provided with a Phillips drive, accepting a #2 size tip (the larger of the two most common Phillips screwdriver tips). While a #1 size tip will drive the screw, it will be awkward to use and increases the risk of cam-out and damage to the screw head. They are less frequently provided with a hex head, even less with a pan head - a low disk with a chamfered outer edge. Because they are used in places where easy removal and replacement may be desirable (such as on the side panels of the PC case), they are frequently available as thumbscrews with oversized friction-gripped heads that can be removed with one's fingers rather than with tools.
6-32 screws will fit into holes threaded for M3 screws (the second most common type of screw in PCs), but this will damage the finer M3 threading. Also, when 6-32 screws are screwed into brass M3-threaded motherboard standoffs, the threads tend to become "locked", and the entire motherboard must be removed to separate them. The same is true if a M3 is screwed into a 6-32 threaded hole.
Quote:
The M3 screw is the second most common screw found in PCs. This is a metric screw, and just about every case manufacturer provides a package of M3 screws as well as 6-32's. Specifically, the screw type is M3-0.50, meaning the threads of the screws are 0.50 millimetres apart. These screws, like the 6-32 screws, also typically accept a #2 size Phillips screwdriver tip.
M3 screws are used for fastening optical disc drives and floppy drives. They will fit in 6-32-threaded holes, but their narrower diameter and finer thread pitch causes them to seat only loosely in the hole.
M3 screws are also the most common screw used to secure a motherboard to motherboard standoffs.
Of all the screws provided with PCs, M3s are usually identified by them having the finest thread pitch of all the screws provided.
6-32 screws will strip the threads of M3-threaded holes. When the M3 hole is drilled into sheet metal (as on floppy and optical disc drives), a 6-32 screw that damages the threading will typically stay in the hole and can be removed fairly easily. When the M3 threading is into solid metal (such as a motherboard standoff), a 6-32 screw will get stuck before it can be screwed in all the way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_case_screws

I'll 2nd that I would rather hear from someone on nit-picking as this is why we post, to learn. Everyone has a bit more knowledge than someone else in a certain area, and in this case I'm glad to hear from you. See the above answer (to 'Mathelm') as I checked with Corsairs site on the dimensions.
post #5888 of 9343
Hey,
My build

Corsair 500r, i7-2700k, h100, Sapphire 6979 2gb, Seasonic x750 gold, Kingston hyperx t1, Kingston HyperX SSD, 160gb HDD.

I have shut it off and turned it on a few times since this post and it has been great, under 30 seconds full boot.

Greg
post #5889 of 9343
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPilotJAE View Post

Same here, they didn't tighten down as well as the ones that came with the H60, but did work. I see we have someone that knows a bit more about the screw (which is great) and this might confirm my belief it's a metric or I don't know the number of threads to the size screw. (Which of course I forgot to go to Corsairs site and ask, so I'm looking now as that has to be a common question). ((And found it, here's the answer: The screw thread and length are 6 x 32 x 1 1/4" #6 machine thread, 32 TPI (threads per inch), 1.25 inches in length. )) So "alancsalt" is correct 100%. And to answer the question of the packages, "Dubro" makes the packages. I was very heavily into RC Planes (hence the handle) at one time and built a lot (way too many) RC planes. Dubro makes a ton of the small parts and machined screws, etc; that I used to use and that's where I found that I had some without running to the hardware store. Although they fit, they still didn't feel like they fit 100% like the original. Anyway, since the radiator is built from Aluminum the threaded holes are very easy to strip or to get an 'off thread' to fit, but once taken out won't be the same putting them back. So when I do the first cleaning (in about 4+ months from now) I'll tap new threads and use the proper thread for the new tap so I don't continually mess things up worse.
I didn't know they made a splitter 4-pin cable...thanks, I will purchase one. I just plugged into an open chassis fan plug that I had (didn't want too, but did). This will (obviously) be much better.
At this point the length of time left is anyone's guess......I hope for my sake I have at least 20+ more years. But at the rate my poor body has been breaking down lately I fear there won't be much left of me, so hurry! ....lol....
Like you, I have never shut down a computer that I've built until now. I decided with this build that I would use the sleep function and (hopefully) save some wear & tear on parts (and possibly save some electricity). Anyway, so far I have not had any problems with the sleep function (knock on wood). If the Sandy Bridge is buggy in this department I haven't seen it (nor have I read anything on it, but I do not doubt you). I can only say it seems to be working flawlessly for me (so far).
I'll 2nd that I would rather hear from someone on nit-picking as this is why we post, to learn. Everyone has a bit more knowledge than someone else in a certain area, and in this case I'm glad to hear from you. See the above answer (to 'Mathelm') as I checked with Corsairs site on the dimensions.

Do you think the corsair screws are coated ( maybe a lite powder coating), which is what makes them tighter?

Was big into RC a few years back myself. Then bought a Heli. Had to get back into computers because it was soooo much cheaper...lol Course all the new electric ones have me itching to try my hand again. They seem to be a lot less complex and the work on them/fly them time ratio seems to have gone from about 50 to 1, to 2 to 1.
post #5890 of 9343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan251 View Post

Or read the first post.

Didn't really see anything on the first post other then the sig display.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › >>The Official ASUS P8P67/P8Z68 & P8Z68/GEN3 Series Owners Club>>