Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Massive Folding Idea
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Massive Folding Idea

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
I go to a high school outside of Pittsburgh and I had a thought.

Being a rather large school with nearly ALL or their computers at the end of their useful lives, I want to approach the IT department with an idea to set up a room to take all the decommissioned machines and just 24/7 fold.

Would it be worth it to run anywhere between 50 and 200 P4 and Athlon XP's for this?
Bertha
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9950 BE @ 3Ghz or an X3 Rana at 3.6(4 core) Asus M4A785-M XFX Radeon 4650 4GB Corsair 1066 (Running at 800, 4-4-4-12) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
500GB Seagate Trololol Again, Lol 750 Watt Antec Earthwatts 
Case
Chieftec Dragon 
  hide details  
Reply
Bertha
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
9950 BE @ 3Ghz or an X3 Rana at 3.6(4 core) Asus M4A785-M XFX Radeon 4650 4GB Corsair 1066 (Running at 800, 4-4-4-12) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveMonitorPower
500GB Seagate Trololol Again, Lol 750 Watt Antec Earthwatts 
Case
Chieftec Dragon 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabander View Post
I go to a high school outside of Pittsburgh and I had a thought.

Being a rather large school with nearly ALL or their computers at the end of their useful lives, I want to approach the IT department with an idea to set up a room to take all the decommissioned machines and just 24/7 fold.

Would it be worth it to run anywhere between 50 and 200 P4 and Athlon XP's for this?
Don't think it would be worth it.

A P4 would give about 1k ppd, if you have 50 of them that would be a close to a 2600k @ 5ghz. Say you have 200 of them, thats 4x 2600k's.

The real downside here is the power. 200 P4's would cost quite a bit to run 24/7, my guess that after a year or so you would have been spending the price of a couple of 2600k rigs.
post #3 of 5
I'm afraid I'd have to agree with Eggy. The power you'd use would be far too high for it to be viable.
Megadoomer
(14 items)
 
Family Computer
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0Ghz ASUS M4A89GTD PRO Sparkle GTS 450 2x4GB G-Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F1 1TB CM Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung T220 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX3000 Laser CM 1000M HAF 922 Logitech VX Revolution 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus PN5-D 750i Evga GTS 250 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB Hitachi Samsung Super Writemaster Windows 7 Professional x64 19" Dell 
PowerCase
Corsair 450VX Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
Megadoomer
(14 items)
 
Family Computer
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0Ghz ASUS M4A89GTD PRO Sparkle GTS 450 2x4GB G-Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung F1 1TB CM Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional x64 Samsung T220 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX3000 Laser CM 1000M HAF 922 Logitech VX Revolution 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Q6600 Asus PN5-D 750i Evga GTS 250 2x2GB Crucial Ballistix 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
750GB Hitachi Samsung Super Writemaster Windows 7 Professional x64 19" Dell 
PowerCase
Corsair 450VX Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy88 View Post
Don't think it would be worth it.

A P4 would give about 1k ppd, if you have 50 of them that would be a close to a 2600k @ 5ghz. Say you have 200 of them, thats 4x 2600k's.

The real downside here is the power. 200 P4's would cost quite a bit to run 24/7, my guess that after a year or so you would have been spending the price of a couple of 2600k rigs.
It's a lot less time than that.

Say 150W per P4 rig, and 10p/kWh (average UK price)

That's 150 x 200 x 365 x 24 x 0.10 / 1000 = GBP 26,280 / year.

Or about enough money to build a 2600K rig every week - and that doesn't include the cost of any A/C or other cooling required, the cost of switches, internet hookup etc or the time required for maintenance/monitoring...
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
That's 150 x 200 x 365 x 24 x 0.10 / 1000 = GBP 26,280 / year.
I rest my case......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › Massive Folding Idea