Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Most powerful programming language?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Most powerful programming language? - Page 4

post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicalPulse;13491594 
Unary.

lol

Still possible, but a pain.

Decimal = 0, Binary = 0, Unary = 1
Decimal = 1, Binary = 1, Unary = 11
Decimal = 2, Binary = 10, Unary = 111
Decimal = 16, Binary = 10000, Unary = 11111111111111111

Etc
Edited by lordikon - 5/13/11 at 12:14pm
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradrj1029;13475234 
Lol, my mistake, I meant to put programming language..

What do you guys think would be the best language for making a program with a GUI, that would be able to automate actions on different sites, in example, logging into and accepting friend requests on facebook or myspace.. there are like 10 people telling me different things Lol..

Pretty much any language can be used to achieve what you're talking about. It really depends what do you mean by powerful.

Assembly, as some mentioned, is powerful, because it is the most low-level programming language giving you very fine control over everything that happens in you application and also offering possibly the best use of resources and thus best possible performance. At the same time it's very unlikely that anyone would use assembly to create the kind of application you're talking about, because it would take a decent amount of work and thousands of lines of code to achieve anything remotely functional. Assembly is sometimes used in embedded systems, some performance critical applications and device drivers.

C/C++ are kind of mid-level languages. They are much easier to use than assembly, but still offer a lot of low level features and require good understanding of low level stuff to be used well. They are powerful because of their versatility and great performance. They can be used to create nearly any kind of application and are often used for high performance things like operating systems, device drivers and game engines.

Java and .NET (VB, C#) are high level languages which are the easiest to use. They are powerful because most of the things are kind of done for you and it's easy to create fully functional applications rapidly with very few lines of code. For the type of application you've mentioned either Java or C# would probably be your best bet. For example creating a connection to your facebook account, getting the list of your contacts and displaying it in the GUI application on your desktop is probably not going to take more than one or two pages of code in either of these languages.
buka
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
buka
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #33 of 39
Assembly a pain to read/write, harder to debug, and essentially not portable.

I'd choose C. It's tricky, but much easier than assembly, widely supported, somewhat portable, low level enough to be usable. I like to use C++, but C is nicer in some cases.

.NET is not a language. It's a framework.

XML is not a general purpose language like the ones being discussed. It is used to describe and contain data.
Edited by serge2k - 5/15/11 at 2:58pm
    
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
2500k P8P67 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 22" phillips 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Cheap Logitech Antec Earthwatts 650W Razer Deathadder Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
2500k P8P67 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 22" phillips 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Cheap Logitech Antec Earthwatts 650W Razer Deathadder Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k;13516780 
Assembly a pain to read/write, harder to debug, and essentially not portable.

I'd choose C. It's tricky, but much easier than assembly, widely supported, somewhat portable, low level enough to be usable. I like to use C++, but C is nicer in some cases.

.NET is not a language. It's a framework.

XML is not a general purpose language like the ones being discussed. It is used to describe and contain data.

C is nicer than C++? Ugh, yuck. C++ improved on C in every way, shape and form. Procedural programming is a thing of the past.
Quote:
Pretty much any language can be used to achieve what you're talking about. It really depends what do you mean by powerful.

Assembly, as some mentioned, is powerful, because it is the most low-level programming language giving you very fine control over everything that happens in you application and also offering possibly the best use of resources and thus best possible performance. At the same time it's very unlikely that anyone would use assembly to create the kind of application you're talking about, because it would take a decent amount of work and thousands of lines of code to achieve anything remotely functional. Assembly is sometimes used in embedded systems, some performance critical applications and device drivers.

C/C++ are kind of mid-level languages. They are much easier to use than assembly, but still offer a lot of low level features and require good understanding of low level stuff to be used well. They are powerful because of their versatility and great performance. They can be used to create nearly any kind of application and are often used for high performance things like operating systems, device drivers and game engines.

Java and .NET (VB, C#) are high level languages which are the easiest to use. They are powerful because most of the things are kind of done for you and it's easy to create fully functional applications rapidly with very few lines of code. For the type of application you've mentioned either Java or C# would probably be your best bet. For example creating a connection to your facebook account, getting the list of your contacts and displaying it in the GUI application on your desktop is probably not going to take more than one or two pages of code in either of these languages.

^ This is the most accurate description in the thread. Honestly, if you're looking for quick, easy learning, then stick/start with C# or Java. Being higher level languages, there are some restrictions, but they are likely "restrictions" that would in all likelihood not concern you. I doubt that you will find an immediate need for referring to physical memory address or call stacks, considering you thought .NET was a programming language. lachen.gif

Portability will also be a concern to you if you're just starting to learn. Java is the most portable out of what was recommended. Just pick up the JVM and go. It's a great place to start. Good luck.
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intellect v2
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VIII HERO LGA1151 DDR4 M.2 SAT... EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC... 
CoolingKeyboardPowerCase
Noctua NH-D15 Das Keyboard 4 Professional (Brown) Corsair AX860 Fractal Design Define R5 
Mouse
MIONIX NAOS 7000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #35 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plex;13524497 
C is nicer than C++? Ugh, yuck. C++ improved on C in every way, shape and form. Procedural programming is a thing of the past.
uh huh.

I do prefer C++. C has some advantages over C++ though.
    
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
2500k P8P67 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 22" phillips 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Cheap Logitech Antec Earthwatts 650W Razer Deathadder Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardOSMonitor
2500k P8P67 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 22" phillips 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
Cheap Logitech Antec Earthwatts 650W Razer Deathadder Razer eXactMat 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 39
ASP.NETis not a programming language, but rather, it is a web application framework from Microsoft to build dynamicweb sites, web applications and XML web services. ASP.NETis built on the Common Language Runtime (CLR), enabling programmers to write ASP.NETcode using any Microsoft .NET programming language, such as C# and Visual Basic .NET.

Turbo Pascal and Delphi fluffy in exterior but let you get down to the dirty stuff pretty easily.
post #37 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooony;13681752 
ASP.NETis not a programming language, but rather, it is a web application framework from Microsoft to build dynamicweb sites, web applications and XML web services. ASP.NETis built on the Common Language Runtime (CLR), enabling programmers to write ASP.NETcode using any Microsoft .NET programming language, such as C# and Visual Basic .NET.

Turbo Pascal and Delphi fluffy in exterior but let you get down to the dirty stuff pretty easily.

You're allowed to use whitespace after typing ASP.NET . smile.gif
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #38 of 39
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

All major languages have the same 'power' in terms of their functionality and ability to do computation. Some make it easier, but they all have the same capabilities (this is how I understand it at least).
Workstation
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 c0 @ 3.50 Asus Sabertooth X58 Nvidia gtx 570 Nvidia gtx 210 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
12 GB (Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz + G.Skill Ripj... OCZ Vertex II 60GB + x2 WD 1TB + WD 500 GB Lite-On DVD Burner LG Blu Ray Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 8 Professional x64, Arch Linux x64 Samsung 22 inch 1920x1080 60Hz Asus 23 inch 1920x1080 IPS Acer 19 inch 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g11 Corsair 750 Watt NZXT Tempest Razer deathadder 3500 dpi 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
OCZ Audigy SE Sony MDR-V6 
  hide details  
Reply
Workstation
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 920 c0 @ 3.50 Asus Sabertooth X58 Nvidia gtx 570 Nvidia gtx 210 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOptical Drive
12 GB (Patriot 4GB DDR3 1600 Mhz + G.Skill Ripj... OCZ Vertex II 60GB + x2 WD 1TB + WD 500 GB Lite-On DVD Burner LG Blu Ray Burner 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 8 Professional x64, Arch Linux x64 Samsung 22 inch 1920x1080 60Hz Asus 23 inch 1920x1080 IPS Acer 19 inch 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech g11 Corsair 750 Watt NZXT Tempest Razer deathadder 3500 dpi 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
OCZ Audigy SE Sony MDR-V6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordikon;13682958 
You're allowed to use whitespace after typing ASP.NET . smile.gif

that's was typed on a nokia with fat fingers using swedish predictive text technology while sitting on the toilet dropping some friends of at the pool. Thx ill remember that next time
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Coding and Programming
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Most powerful programming language?