Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › I need a Solution CPU fan for 4pin mobo
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I need a Solution CPU fan for 4pin mobo - Page 3

post #21 of 33
Thread Starter 
Yes and No ...
I talked with an expert store that is selling this fan same store i got Haf-X and mobo from and they said the SA will not fit my system well. (that does not mean it cant fit it might but probaly have to move fan in the back and some other things... little trouble maybe)
that is why now i am thinking most between megahalem/supermega or noctua
but with megahalem i can put the fans i want for example enermax

Another store i talked with said i should not worry so much if the fan was 3 pin or 4 pin
even the 3 pin fan could be controlled by the motherboard even if the board was meant for 4 pin
but true that 4 pin would controll the fan better.... this i didnt know
it means i could use a 3 pin fan but i still be better off with a 4 pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
The HAF X is 9.1 inches wide. It will have room for the TY-140, even with fairly tall RAM.

Edited by Gilgamesh9 - 5/14/11 at 4:12am
post #22 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh9 View Post
Another store i talked with said i should not worry so much if the fan was 3 pin or 4 pin
even the 3 pin fan could be controlled by the motherboard even if the board was meant for 4 pin
but true that 4 pin would controll the fan better.... this i didnt know
it means i could use a 3 pin fan but i still be better off with a 4 pin
3-pin fans are controlled by Voltage. On Gigabyte boards there is an explicit setting in the BIOS for choosing between PWM and Voltage control of cpu fans. I have heard of no other manufacturer doing this. So I would recommend thoroughly exploring your BIOS before buying a 3-pin cpu fan, unless you are prepared to let it run at full speed all the time.

A Silver Arrow is no taller than a D14 or a Megahalems or Super Mega. They're all 160mm tall. You need pwm fans. The only 140mm pwm fan is the TY-140, the fan that comes with the SA. If you get a D14, you will still need to buy a TY-140 for the center position if you want to control your fan with your mb. Of course, you could buy the new Rheosmart fan controller that takes PWM signals and controls fans by voltage . . . at a cost of money, complexity and one of your 5.25 slots.

The RAM issue is why I bought low profile sticks for my most recent purchase. But given that you have Ripjaws, you could buy a Silver Arrow and a front 120mm pwm fan (there are lots of those), for about the same price as a D14. Or you could buy a D14 and buy new fans for it (TY-140 + 120mm PWM fan). Or you could buy a Mega and two 120mm PWM fans.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. But consider this: your case is 9.1 inches wide. Mine is 7.9 inches wide. I can fit a full sized tower in mine. It has had a Megahalems, a D14, a Z600R and a Mugen2. All fit fine. With the Mugen 2 I had a TY-140 at the back sitting on heatsinks, and it fit:



That was my rig for a while. Here it is from the rear, with the cover on:



So, that fan will fit in my 7.9 inch case. I suspect that even with Ripjaws it will fit in your 9.1 inch case. And the fan is the limiting factor with the SA.
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 33
Also remember about the Noctua,the fans are so quiet you don't need to lower the speed.I would recommend the Xigmatek Gaia and get the fans of your choice.It outperforms the CM 212 and it's very compact,fan doesn't even overhang the first memory slot on my board.Plus it is cheap.
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
Amelia
(13 items)
 
Professional
(13 items)
 
RCPC#1
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100t MSI 890FX GD65 MSI Radeon HD5670 GSkill RipjawsX DDR3 PC3 12800 2x4GB CL8 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Black 1TB SATA III Samsung BD Zalman 9900MAX Windows 7 64 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC 22" LED Logitech Kingwin Lazer Platinum 500w Fractal Design R3 
Other
Samsung 470 SSD 128GB 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 960T Asus M4A88T-VEVO Asus Strix R7 370 SuperTalent Perfomance 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
GSkill Snipers Monster Daytona Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7,200 RPM 16Mb cache Memorex DVD/RW 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair H60 Windows 8N IBM 9494 19" LCD IBM 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair GS500 In Win H-Frame Wolfking OCZ Behemoth 
Audio
JBL Creature 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks for a thoroughly answer ehume I realy apreciate you help
some questions


1. So both D14,megahalem , Silver arrow is about the same size
what makes it bigger is the 140mm fan mounted on one side of the SA right?
so if going silver arrow i have to remplace one of the Ty-140 fans with a side 120mm fan?
that way the side fan being 120mm instead of 140mm will not interfere with high memory?
This is a must if going Silver arrow with my case/memory ... otherwise if will lean toward the to of the ram right?

2. As for Noctua to get a PMW fan you recomend remplacing the middle fan with a TY-140 but what about the other side noctua fan when having a Ty-140 in the middle will the sidefan of noctua be slave to it and also go on PWM ?
or will i need both a Ty-140 + another 120mm PWM fan to get noctua be PWM?

Also on this site:
http://apcmag.com/how-to-build-the-p...-silent-pc.htm

They recomend using 2x 120mm fans on Noctua instead of 1x 120mm and 1x140mm to get it more silent is this true?

3. If i buy megahalem and go 2x 120mm fans or SA and remplace the side 140mm fan with a 120 pwm fan (as you sugested) would Enermax T.b Trio be good one?
http://www.enermax.co.uk/produkte/lu...vegastrio.html

4. Megahalem vs Supermega
i know supermega can use 140mm fan while megahalem 120mm

If i go supermega would i be in the same situation as with Silver arrow
since fans are 140mm fan it will interfere with high memory ram?
so is recomended with supermega to have 1x120mm fan and 1x140mm fan?

Between this 2 heatsink what is the difference and which one is best
megahalem vs supermega , considering my situation?

5. So my option would either be heatsink with 2x 120mm or one with 1x120mm+ 1x140mm but NEVER one with 2x140mm correct?

6. IMPORTANT:
I am using a Thermaltake Cyclo pattern 120mm as Rear Case fan for the look of it
I am considering if i remplace it with a 140mm Enermax Apollish vegas manual control... but whatever i do that or not , I need the Heatsink not to be in way so that it cover the view of much of the rear fan from the sidewindow of haf-x

So when buying a heatsink and fans either 120mm or 140mm
I need one that dont completely or mostly cover the view of the rear fan
so i can see the rear fan good from the side window

considering this would Megahalem, supermega, noctua or Silver arrow be the best option

Remember my case is HAF-X and has a sidewindow

This last question is very important for me to get an answer to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
3-pin fans are controlled by Voltage. On Gigabyte boards there is an explicit setting in the BIOS for choosing between PWM and Voltage control of cpu fans. I have heard of no other manufacturer doing this. So I would recommend thoroughly exploring your BIOS before buying a 3-pin cpu fan, unless you are prepared to let it run at full speed all the time.

A Silver Arrow is no taller than a D14 or a Megahalems or Super Mega. They're all 160mm tall. You need pwm fans. The only 140mm pwm fan is the TY-140, the fan that comes with the SA. If you get a D14, you will still need to buy a TY-140 for the center position if you want to control your fan with your mb. Of course, you could buy the new Rheosmart fan controller that takes PWM signals and controls fans by voltage . . . at a cost of money, complexity and one of your 5.25 slots.

The RAM issue is why I bought low profile sticks for my most recent purchase. But given that you have Ripjaws, you could buy a Silver Arrow and a front 120mm pwm fan (there are lots of those), for about the same price as a D14. Or you could buy a D14 and buy new fans for it (TY-140 + 120mm PWM fan). Or you could buy a Mega and two 120mm PWM fans.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. But consider this: your case is 9.1 inches wide. Mine is 7.9 inches wide. I can fit a full sized tower in mine. It has had a Megahalems, a D14, a Z600R and a Mugen2. All fit fine. With the Mugen 2 I had a TY-140 at the back sitting on heatsinks, and it fit:



That was my rig for a while. Here it is from the rear, with the cover on:



So, that fan will fit in my 7.9 inch case. I suspect that even with Ripjaws it will fit in your 9.1 inch case. And the fan is the limiting factor with the SA.

Edited by Gilgamesh9 - 5/15/11 at 9:59am
post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh9 View Post
Thanks for a thoroughly answer ehume I realy apreciate you help
some questions


1. So both D14,megahalem , Silver arrow is about the same size
what makes it bigger is the 140mm fan mounted on one side of the SA right?
Those coolers are the same height. Where they differ is in front-to-back distance, side-to-side distance, and height of the bottom of the heatsink above the motherboard (clearance). The bottom of the SA does not have as much clearance as the bottom of the D14. The advantage of the SA and D14 over the two Megas is that in the center between the two towers there is no need for clearance, so 140mm fans fit fine.
Quote:
so if going silver arrow i have to remplace one of the Ty-140 fans with a side 120mm fan?
that way the side fan being 120mm instead of 140mm will not interfere with high memory?
Correct, if you do not modify the tall memory. You can remove the heatsink of tall memory and replace it with a generic low profile heatsink. You can buy those.
Quote:
This is a must if going Silver arrow with my case/memory ... otherwise if will lean toward the to of the ram right?
I do not understand this.

Quote:
2. As for Noctua to get a PMW fan you recomend remplacing the middle fan with a TY-140 but what about the other side noctua fan when having a Ty-140 in the middle will the sidefan of noctua be slave to it and also go on PWM ?
No. Only PWM fans can be controlled with PWM signals.
Quote:
or will i need both a Ty-140 + another 120mm PWM fan to get noctua be PWM?
Correct.

Quote:
Also on this site:
http://apcmag.com/how-to-build-the-p...-silent-pc.htm

They recomend using 2x 120mm fans on Noctua instead of 1x 120mm and 1x140mm to get it more silent is this true?
It depends. So far, I have not been impressed with the additional cooling from a third fan. But I've not been able to get back to my fan testing to find out for sure.

If you have a case with the back grill removed and no rear fan, then a third fan on a SA or D14 will act as a case exhaust fan (see item 2 in my sig). If you continue to use a case exhaust fan, the third fan on the SA or D14 will likely interfere with the case exhaust fan.

Quote:
3. If i buy megahalem and go 2x 120mm fans or SA and remplace the side 140mm fan with a 120 pwm fan (as you sugested) would Enermax T.b Trio be good one?
http://www.enermax.co.uk/produkte/lu...vegastrio.html
The Megahalems has no fan to replace.

That T.B. Silence fan is PWM and adjustable. However, those thin blades suggest low static pressure. That might not be necessary, but there it is.

Quote:
4. Megahalem vs Supermega
i know supermega can use 140mm fan while megahalem 120mm

If i go supermega would i be in the same situation as with Silver arrow
since fans are 140mm fan it will interfere with high memory ram?
so is recomended with supermega to have 1x120mm fan and 1x140mm fan?

Between this 2 heatsink what is the difference and which one is best
megahalem vs supermega , considering my situation?
They are nearly the same heatsink, but the mounting screw for the Mega is tall and will not allow a 140mm fan. Now I must leave. Finish later.
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh9 View Post
6. IMPORTANT:
I am using a Thermaltake Cyclo pattern 120mm as Rear Case fan for the look of it
I am considering if i remplace it with a 140mm Enermax Apollish vegas manual control... but whatever i do that or not , I need the Heatsink not to be in way so that it cover the view of much of the rear fan from the sidewindow of haf-x

So when buying a heatsink and fans either 120mm or 140mm
I need one that dont completely or mostly cover the view of the rear fan
so i can see the rear fan good from the side window

considering this would Megahalem, supermega, noctua or Silver arrow be the best option

Remember my case is HAF-X and has a sidewindow

This last question is very important for me to get an answer to
You might ask around to see if someone has fit a TR Archon in your case. If it will fit (with a 140mm rear fan I expect it will) that would be your best bet.
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks for taking the time to answer ehume
But i am confused by some answer so maybe i didnt explain good enough

1. My question: So if going silver arrow I have to remplace
one of the Ty-140 fans with a side 120mm fan?
that way the side fan being 120mm instead of 140mm will not interfere with high memory?

Your answer: Correct, if you do not modify the tall memory. You can remove the heatsink of tall memory and replace it with a generic low profile heatsink. You can buy those.

New Question: I didnt understand that with remove heatsink of tall memory
but if i dont remove heatsink of tall memory etc... if i get silver arrow
this mean is very important that i dont use 2x 140mm fans i need to change it so is 1x120mm fan and 1x140mm fan....
the fan that is to be changed is not the middle fan but the side fan

Can you confirm this again?

2.
My question: This is a must if going Silver arrow with my case/memory ... otherwise if will lean toward the to of the ram right?

Your answer : I do not understand this

New Question: Ok i explain question again i mean that if i buy silver arrow
there is no way i could use both 140mm fans because if i do then probaly one of the fan (Sidefan) of silver arrow will go too close to the top of the memory ram of ripjaws X
I dont want to do any changes to the ram at all
So i defently have to remove the side fan 140mm on Silver arrow and put in a 120mm
with "A must" i mean there no other way thats what i have to do with silver arrow...

but... having 1x120mm+1x140mm fan instead of 2x140mm fan would that not make silver arrow not so good after all what make this fan good is 2x140mm i think...

So is it realy a point for me get silver arrow then
it will be just like noctua 1x120mm+1x140mm and not 2x140mm that silver arrow initally came with
that was the big plus of choosing silver arrow....

3.

My question: As for Noctua to get a PMW fan you recomend remplacing the middle fan with a TY-140 but what about the other side noctua fan when having a Ty-140 in the middle will the sidefan of noctua be slave to it and also go on PWM ?

Your answer:
No. Only PWM fans can be controlled with PWM signals.

New Question: I didnt understand PWM fans can be controlled with pwm signals
but... i try to rephrase my question more easy

Noctua N14 comes with 2 fans:
NF-P 120mm
NF-P14 140mm

You told me to remove NF-P14 140mm fan with a PWM 140mm fan Like Ty-140
this i understand thats the middle fan of noctua
but then NF-P120mm fan you told me not to remplace why?
is this fan PWM then....
or what realy matters is the middle fan as soon that fan is PWM
the sidefan can be no-pwm and the fan will still be controlled pwm?

So question is i only remplace the 140mm fan of noctua with a 140mm pwm fan and leave the 120mm fan even if that fan is not pwm ?

4.
My question:
Also on this site:
http://apcmag.com/how-to-build-the-p...-silent-pc.htm

They recomend using 2x 120mm fans on Noctua instead of 1x 120mm and 1x140mm to get it more silent is this true?

Your answer:
It depends. So far, I have not been impressed with the additional cooling from a third fan. But I've not been able to get back to my fan testing to find out for sure.

New Question: NO, what i meant what not putting in a third fan, i dont want a third fan.
i meant having 2 fans
but instead of having one 120mm fan and one 140mm fan
have only 2 120mm fans
so:
1 120mm midle fan
1 120mm sidefan

instead of:
1 140mm midle fan
1 120mm sidefan
(as noctua comes with)

5.
I said: If i buy megahalem and go 2x 120mm fans or SA and remplace the side 140mm fan with a 120 pwm fan (as you sugested) would Enermax T.b Trio be good one?

You said: That T.B. Silence fan is PWM and adjustable. However, those thin blades suggest low static pressure. That might not be necessary, but there it is.

Question: Is low statis presure a bad thing in my case?
or you mean normaly static presure is more expensive and i dont need to pay for only because of that?
(The only reason i paying more here is because of the led efect anyway and thats fine)
Edited by Gilgamesh9 - 5/15/11 at 2:38pm
post #28 of 33
I looked at your specs again:

Quote:
i intend to have the pc on night and i sleep in the same room as the pc
and here are the specs:

i7 2600k ,
Asrocks Fatal1ty P67 . . .
G.skill Ripjaws . . .
Coolermaster HAF-X . . .
I forgot you will be using the Ripjaws. Those are not very tall.

Your motherboard can only control fans with PWM. PWM control must be built into each fan. Each PWM fan has four wires. Voltage-controlled fans have only three wires. They lack the PWM control wire and the PWM control ability.

D14: Since the Noctua fans are not PWM, if you use the Noctua fans they will run at the same speed all the time. This is true whether you use them at 12v or connect them through their U.L.N.A. adapters. The only way to change their speed is to connect them to a fan controller.

If you want PWM control of fans for your D14 you must put a TY-140 in the center (it is the only 140mm PWM fan) and a 120mm PWM fan in the front. The T.B. Vegas will do.

Silver Arrow: Ripjaws RAM does not have very tall heatsinks. With a case as wide as your HAF X you should be able to position the front TY-140 over the RAM and still have room to shut your case. Therefore you would not have to buy more fans for this cooler.

Megahalems: Your T.B. Vegas would be OK.
Super Mega: TY-140 or T.B. Vegas would be OK.

There is no need to go into more complicated scenarios.
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 33
Thread Starter 
Thanks,

I have RipjawsX not Ripjaws
is not Ripjaws X taller?
they are 2 different
the last is made specially for sandybridge

This photo worried me Ty-140 fan touching ram
but i dont know if is a haf-x case and if my case will be different
cause mine is very big


So if choosing

Silver arrow:
Can i then use 2x140mm fan considering i have Ripjaws X and HAF-x
or should i still go with what you initially said and swap one of the fans with 1x120mm?

Noctua N14:
Ok so to go PWM Both fan have to be swapped
Considering the high price of noctua and how silent default fans are
maybe choosing noctua N14 and make them into PWM not good idea.
unless I drop PWM and let them run 100% all the time since they so silent
is this a recomended option over all the other heatsinks and pwm?

So Here is my options

1. Go Silver arrow keep both 140mm fans and hope they fit
2. Go silver arrow change one of the 140mm fans into a Enermax T.B trio 120mm pwm
3. Go Noctua N14 drop the default fans for:
Ty-140 and enermax t.b trio 120mm pwm
4. Go Noctua N14 Drop PWM let them run 100% as a 3 pin fan
keep both default fans

5. Go Megahalem and 2x 120mm enermax t.b. trio enermax PWM fans
6. Go Megahalem and 2x 120mm enermax Apollish NON-Pwm manual fans let them run 100% all the time.
7. Go Super mega with any 2x 120mm fan
8. Go super mega with 2x Ty-140 fans
9. Go Super mega with 1x 120mm + 1x Ty-140 fans

So many options .....
I wish there was easyer to choose



Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
I looked at your specs again:



I forgot you will be using the Ripjaws. Those are not very tall.

Your motherboard can only control fans with PWM. PWM control must be built into each fan. Each PWM fan has four wires. Voltage-controlled fans have only three wires. They lack the PWM control wire and the PWM control ability.

D14: Since the Noctua fans are not PWM, if you use the Noctua fans they will run at the same speed all the time. This is true whether you use them at 12v or connect them through their U.L.N.A. adapters. The only way to change their speed is to connect them to a fan controller.

If you want PWM control of fans for your D14 you must put a TY-140 in the center (it is the only 140mm PWM fan) and a 120mm PWM fan in the front. The T.B. Vegas will do.

Silver Arrow: Ripjaws RAM does not have very tall heatsinks. With a case as wide as your HAF X you should be able to position the front TY-140 over the RAM and still have room to shut your case. Therefore you would not have to buy more fans for this cooler.

Megahalems: Your T.B. Vegas would be OK.
Super Mega: TY-140 or T.B. Vegas would be OK.

There is no need to go into more complicated scenarios.

Edited by Gilgamesh9 - 5/15/11 at 4:38pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilgamesh9 View Post
I have RipjawsX not Ripjaws
is not Ripjaws X taller?
Seems like it.

Quote:
This photo worried me Ty-140 fan touching ram
That's OK. My fans frequently touch my Ripjaws RAM heatsinks. Remember, the fan is touching the heatsink, not the RAM itself.


Quote:
So if choosing

Silver arrow:
Can i then use 2x140mm fan considering i have Ripjaws X and HAF-x
Yes.
Quote:
or should i still go with what you initially said and swap one of the fans with 1x120mm?
Try 2x140 first.

Quote:
Noctua N14
Quote:
:
Ok so to go PWM Both fan have to be swapped
Considering the high price of noctua and how silent default fans are maybe choosing noctua N14 and make them into PWM not good idea.
unless I drop PWM and let them run 100% all the time since they so silent
is this a recomended option over all the other heatsinks and pwm?
You must make that decision yourself. Right now Noctua may be selling many D14's. If the sales drop off, maybe they will offer the P14 and P12 in PWM.

Quote:
So Here is my options

1. Go Silver arrow keep both 140mm fans and hope they fit
2. Go silver arrow change one of the 140mm fans into a Enermax T.B trio 120mm pwm
3. Go Noctua N14 drop the default fans for:
Ty-140 and enermax t.b trio 120mm pwm
4. Go Noctua N14 Drop PWM let them run 100% as a 3 pin fan
keep both default fans
I would say choose 1, 3 or 4 at first. If you choose number 1 and the front TY-140 doesn't fit, only then buy a front 120mm PWM fan. While you wait for the 120mm fan you can run the SA with only a single fan. It will be a very good cooler while you wait.

If you choose the D14, wait to buy fans: you may decide that the quiet noise they make (a little noisier than the SA, but still quieter than other heatsinks) is completely bearable and you would not need new fans.

Quote:
5. Go Megahalem and 2x 120mm enermax t.b. trio enermax PWM fans
6. Go Megahalem and 2x 120mm enermax Apollish NON-Pwm manual fans let them run 100% all the time.
I would not recommend the Megahalems because you want a quiet system. Megahalems work best with somewhat louder fans.

Quote:
7. Go Super mega with any 2x 120mm fan
8. Go super mega with 2x Ty-140 fans
9. Go Super mega with 1x 120mm + 1x Ty-140 fans
If you go with Super Mega, you will have the same issue with the front fan as you would have with a Silver Arrow.

Quote:
So many options .....
I wish there was easyer to choose
Hehehehe. That's why we come to OCN - to chew on information, to learn . . .
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › I need a Solution CPU fan for 4pin mobo