Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › R6950 TF III dual-bios/fan-speed switch ?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

R6950 TF III dual-bios/fan-speed switch ? - Page 2

post #11 of 73
2 questions:

1.)Since we can´t backup a BIOS on the TWFIII if something goes wrong ....how do we protect ourselves if something goes wrong during the flashing process?

2.)It has a Dual BIOS but with fan profiles in it.
Isn´t there a way to remove the fan profiles and add a stock 6950 BIOS on one of them? In order to be able to flash the other one to 6970 and still have a fail save?
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
2 questions:

1.)Since we can´t backup a BIOS on the TWFIII if something goes wrong ....how do we protect ourselves if something goes wrong during the flashing process?

2.)It has a Dual BIOS but with fan profiles in it.
Isn´t there a way to remove the fan profiles and add a stock 6950 BIOS on one of them? In order to be able to flash the other one to 6970 and still have a fail save?
RE 1: I'v attached a original 6950 BIOS (which you can use to flash your card back to it's original factory settings if anything goes wrong) and a modded BIOS which will unlock the shaders. If you use ATI WinFlash you should have no problems.

RE 2: I'm not sure I understand this question correctly but Having a fan profile on with the BIOS shouldn't affect anything. So you can still flash one of those BIOS with the modded 6950 on to unlock the shaders
post #13 of 73
http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/101...dual-bios.html
That is what I mean.


How and where did you add the 6950 BIOS on the Twin Frozr III?
So there is a way to override the fan profile in the BIOS with an actual 6950 BIOS in order to be able to use the switch as fail save not only for fan profiles?
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
http://www.overclock.net/amd-ati/101...dual-bios.html
That is what I mean.


How and where did you add the 6950 BIOS on the Twin Frozr III?
So there is a way to override the fan profile in the BIOS with an actual 6950 BIOS in order to be able to use the switch as fail save not only for fan profiles?
As I mentioned earlier having a hard wired fan profile should not affect anything because you still have 2 BIOSes only they're accompanied by fan profiles.

What I would do is set the BIOS/Fan switch to 'idle' mode and flash the card with ATI WinFlash to a 6950 modded BIOS (this should over ride the stock BIOS). If in the unlikely case anything goes wrong just reflash the card with the stock 6950 BIOS, nothing would have changed in your hard wired fan profile as you were using the 'idle' setting anyway.
post #15 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post
As I mentioned earlier having a hard wired fan profile should not affect anything because you still have 2 BIOSes only they're accompanied by fan profiles.

What I would do is set the BIOS/Fan switch to 'idle' mode and flash the card with ATI WinFlash to a 6950 modded BIOS (this should over ride the stock BIOS). If in the unlikely case anything goes wrong just reflash the card with the stock 6950 BIOS, nothing would have changed in your hard wired fan profile as you were using the 'idle' setting anyway.

You don´t understand.

If you flash the card and something goes wrong you can´t just flash it back lol?
There is no stock 6950 BIOS because the two BIOS´ contain an Idle or Performance fan profile.

That is why I asked if it was possible to just flash one BIOS to a 6950 stock or if the fan profile was permanently on it.

Because if the first BIOS is overwritten with the 6950 BIOS and you flash the second one you can just switch to the first one like on all normal 6950´s.
Not sure though if it is possible to remove or overwrite the fan profile with the stock 6950 BIOS.
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
You don´t understand.

If you flash the card and something goes wrong you can´t just flash it back lol?
There is no stock 6950 BIOS because the two BIOS´ contain an Idle or Performance fan profile.

That is why I asked if it was possible to just flash one BIOS to a 6950 stock or if the fan profile was permanently on it.

Because if the first BIOS is overwritten with the 6950 BIOS and you flash the second one you can just switch to the first one like on all normal 6950´s.
Not sure though if it is possible to remove or overwrite the fan profile with the stock 6950 BIOS.
Can I just clarify, what does the card do when it's in the 'idle' mode and 'performance' mode?
post #17 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirolla888 View Post
Can I just clarify, what does the card do when it's in the 'idle' mode and 'performance' mode?
The Twin Fozr III has 2 BIOS´ which contain fan profiles.
Idle menas 24% fan activity and performance 80% fan activity it is determining the fan speed.

My question now is if it is possible to overwrite or remove those fan profiles or at least one of them in order to replace it with a stock 6950 BIOS to have a fail save when unlocking or flashing the card.

Please can somebody answer who knows what this is about?
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
The Twin Fozr III has 2 BIOS´ which contain fan profiles.
Idle menas 24% fan activity and performance 80% fan activity it is determining the fan speed.

My question now is if it is possible to overwrite or remove those fan profiles or at least one of them in order to replace it with a stock 6950 BIOS to have a fail save when unlocking or flashing the card.

Please can somebody answer who knows what this is about?
The card has 2 BIOS chips, which are independent of each other (that's your fail safe right there). The fan profiles attached to them are nothing more than a gimmick as fans on GPUs are controlled by software and you can even setup custom fan profiles yourself using MSI Afterburner (sorry if i'm stating the obvious but I really don't know how much you know about this sort of thing).

Therefore if you flash one BIOS it will not affect the other and IF something goes wrong just flash the card with a normal 6950 BIOS, it doesn't mean your going to lose fan control or anything.

If you want there is a way to mod your stock BIOS and use that to unlock the shaders (using Radeon BIOS Editor) Link: http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads...tor_v1.28.html

It even has step by step tutorials showing you how to do it. This method will keep the fan profile on the BIOS and everything, just follow the steps to unlock the shaders. Then save your modded BIOS and flash the card with Winflash.
post #19 of 73
Lol guy don´t you understand what I am saying?
I am well aware that you can create custom fan profiles lol?

MSI has turned the original BIOS switch and the two BIOS´s into fan profiles because they want to inhibit people from unlocking/flashing the card

My only question is if it is possible to just remove the two fan profiles located in the two individual BIOS´ or if they are hard coded and unremovable.

If both BIOS´s still have the fan profiles in them and you flash one BIOS to unlock the card and something goes wrong...you can´t just reflash because there is no backup BIOS to switch to
Then you need to do it manually or use a second card ..and that is exactly what I Don´t wanna do.

Which is why I am trying to ask the same question since 5 posts : is it possible ot remove those fan profiles from the BIOS and replace one with a normal stock 6950 BIOS as fail save and the second one for unlock?
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 73
LOL! Wow there is serious miscommunication happening here. I give up.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › R6950 TF III dual-bios/fan-speed switch ?