Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 2500k @4.5ghz...Got some questions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2500k @4.5ghz...Got some questions

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Hello all

so ive been messing with OC'ing my 2500k to 4.5ghz and ive finally got it stable in a blend test for 3+ hours at 4.5ghz@1.290v with Ultra high LLC and XMP enabled for my ram and then i turned off internal cpu overvoltage and kept the rest of everything else on auto or its default settings

now i was recommended to try and keep my 4.5ghz at 1.3v or above to be completely stable...is that true and am i hurting this cpu with keeping it at 1.290v?

On that same note ive noticed that in cpu-z vcore changes from a low of 1.280v to a high of 1.304v but with staying at about 1.296v...is this normal even with LLC enabled on ultra high? i thought LLC helped with vdrop or vdroop which is what cpu-z was showing happening correct?

Also running at that 4.5ghz should i be changing anything else to maybe get temps down or be able to get a lower vcore?

also any other feedback or recommendations or suggestions would be very very welcomed

The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 28
If it's stable at 1.29, keep it there for sure; My chip was "stable" at 1.32 until I started BSOD about once a week while playing games, and eventually I bumped it up to 1.34 and i'm 100% stable.

Time will tell but the goal of overclocking is to basically get the highest speed with the lowest voltage while remaining relatively stable.
Boylan
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5 1.34v ASUS P8P67 pro (rma #2) MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III G.Skill 2x2gb DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
500gb WD blue Asus W7 64U CM 800W Silent Pro Gold 
Case
Fractal R3 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Boylan
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5 1.34v ASUS P8P67 pro (rma #2) MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III G.Skill 2x2gb DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
500gb WD blue Asus W7 64U CM 800W Silent Pro Gold 
Case
Fractal R3 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by wupah View Post
If it's stable at 1.29, keep it there for sure; My chip was "stable" at 1.32 until I started BSOD about once a week while playing games, and eventually I bumped it up to 1.34 and i'm 100% stable.

Time will tell but the goal of overclocking is to basically get the highest speed with the lowest voltage while remaining relatively stable.

yeah i guess stable can sometimes be a little misleading....cause ive seen instances where people are stable in stress tests but the computer wont sleep or shut down correctly or will BSOD while watching a movie or just randomly at idle

but so far its been stable at idle and stable on restartes and sleep state along with watching some movies and general usage

i do have an important question i forgot to add in my OP

my voltage at idle is the same as it is in load...is that bad and is there anyway to change it so the voltage goes down while its idling at 1.6ghz?
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekyGTi View Post
yeah i guess stable can sometimes be a little misleading....cause ive seen instances where people are stable in stress tests but the computer wont sleep or shut down correctly or will BSOD while watching a movie or just randomly at idle

but so far its been stable at idle and stable on restartes and sleep state along with watching some movies and general usage

i do have an important question i forgot to add in my OP

my voltage at idle is the same as it is in load...is that bad and is there anyway to change it so the voltage goes down while its idling at 1.6ghz?

I forgot how it works again; You must have speedstep still enabled if its idling @ 1.6 g. You might have to set voltage to auto; but then it defeats the purpose I guess.

I just keep it @4.5 ghz all the time and disabled speedstep. At 0% load all 4 cores are usually at 27-30C even though cpu-z voltage says its at 1.34.

Under stress testing the voltage varies from 1.328-1.34

Yes my chip is a pooch
Boylan
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5 1.34v ASUS P8P67 pro (rma #2) MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III G.Skill 2x2gb DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
500gb WD blue Asus W7 64U CM 800W Silent Pro Gold 
Case
Fractal R3 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Boylan
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.5 1.34v ASUS P8P67 pro (rma #2) MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III G.Skill 2x2gb DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
500gb WD blue Asus W7 64U CM 800W Silent Pro Gold 
Case
Fractal R3 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 28
It looks good to me. If you want your CPU do dial the volts back when idle use Offset and keep Speedstep enabled to drop the clocks. If that's not your goal then manual works too
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain318 View Post
It looks good to me. If you want your CPU do dial the volts back when idle use Offset and keep Speedstep enabled to drop the clocks. If that's not your goal then manual works too
see ive wanted to try doing the offset vcore...but honestly it scares the piss outta me...after reading the bugs with switching profiles and stuff...plus really i dont understand how it works....like i do by concept but i dont know how to set up the offset to achieve 1.290v

if you could maybe give me some more info on how to work it or hit me with a link to maybe understand it better that would be awesome

EDIT: btw im actually RMA'ing my H60 cooler cause i personally feel the temps are a little above average...possibly sticking with that type of cooler and getting an H50 instead or maybe just going tower cooler like a hyper 212+ or similar
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekyGTi View Post
see ive wanted to try doing the offset vcore...but honestly it scares the piss outta me...after reading the bugs with switching profiles and stuff...plus really i dont understand how it works....like i do by concept but i dont know how to set up the offset to achieve 1.290v

if you could maybe give me some more info on how to work it or hit me with a link to maybe understand it better that would be awesome

EDIT: btw im actually RMA'ing my H60 cooler cause i personally feel the temps are a little above average...possibly sticking with that type of cooler and getting an H50 instead or maybe just going tower cooler like a hyper 212+ or similar
All your doing with Offset is raising your Vcore till your stable and your chip will dial back the volts when not under load. In my case I use a Offset of +0.90v and peak around 1.3v under load but idle about 1.120v Your required offset will depend on your chip same as setting it manual. Nothing really scary about it. Also I dont use LLC
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain318 View Post
All your doing with Offset is raising your Vcore till your stable and your chip will dial back the volts when not under load. In my case I use a Offset of +0.90v and peak around 1.3v under load but idle about 1.120v Your required offset will depend on your chip same as setting it manual. Nothing really scary about it. Also I dont use LLC

ah ok...i think i got that...ill mess with it later on tonight when its not storming here

on the topic of LLC...is there a reason why you dont use it?....what i read and thought LLC did was stop the drastic swings in vcore ratings that showed up in cpu-z while under load...for example before using LLC i would see swings in vcore from a high of 1.313 all the way down to 1.272 while using a manual set vcore of 1.290...but while using LLC i only saw a peak vcore of 1.304 and a low of 1.280 which is better than without

so what can i do to stop those swings without using LLC?
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekyGTi View Post
ah ok...i think i got that...ill mess with it later on tonight when its not storming here

on the topic of LLC...is there a reason why you dont use it?....what i read and thought LLC did was stop the drastic swings in vcore ratings that showed up in cpu-z while under load...for example before using LLC i would see swings in vcore from a high of 1.313 all the way down to 1.272 while using a manual set vcore of 1.290...but while using LLC i only saw a peak vcore of 1.304 and a low of 1.280 which is better than without

so what can i do to stop those swings without using LLC?
Only reason I don't use LLC is because I read someplace that LLC and Offset shouldn't be used together. I don't see why not or how that would cause any problems but I setup my OC w/o it anyway
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X ASRock Taichi X370 MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR OC  G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3200MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
(Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (2 WD 2TB) ASUS DVD-RW  DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT  Windows 10 Home 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
(Monitor: Samsung SM 2333T) (TV: LG 49UH6030) Logitech K520 SeaSonic SSR-650RM  Cooler Master HAF XB EVO 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech M510 Cloth Pad 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i7 4790k 4.5GHz ASUS Z97 PRO GAMER G.SKILL Ripjaws X 16GB DDR3 2133MHz (Corsair Force LS SSD 120GB) (WD 2TB)  
Optical DriveOSPowerCase
ASUS DVD-RW  Windows 10 Home Corsair RM650 Black NZXT Source 210  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution  EVGA GTX 680 4GB w/Backplate G.SKILL Ripjaws X 8GB DDR3 1600MHz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
(Micro Center SSD 60GB) (WD 1TB) Windows 10 Thermaltake Toughpower 750w Rosewill CHALLENGER  
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekyGTi View Post
Hello all

so ive been messing with OC'ing my 2500k to 4.5ghz and ive finally got it stable in a blend test for 3+ hours at 4.5ghz@1.290v with Ultra high LLC and XMP enabled for my ram and then i turned off internal cpu overvoltage and kept the rest of everything else on auto or its default settings

now i was recommended to try and keep my 4.5ghz at 1.3v or above to be completely stable...is that true and am i hurting this cpu with keeping it at 1.290v?

On that same note ive noticed that in cpu-z vcore changes from a low of 1.280v to a high of 1.304v but with staying at about 1.296v...is this normal even with LLC enabled on ultra high? i thought LLC helped with vdrop or vdroop which is what cpu-z was showing happening correct?

Also running at that 4.5ghz should i be changing anything else to maybe get temps down or be able to get a lower vcore?

also any other feedback or recommendations or suggestions would be very very welcomed

Your CPU is fine. 1.29v will not harm the chip at all. And your board is NOT a M4E, so you are never going to have identical vcore at idle and load. Only the M4E from what I've seen has been able to keep the vcore within 0.01v range at LLC 75%.

I was able to do 1.26v (load), with 1.29v in BIOS (LLC1) for 12 hours blend stable on my 2600k, and I had about the same temps (except I have HT on). After I did my 12 hours and got in the club, I did another 12 hours the next day, for good measure.

Previously, when I had tried 1.285v in BIOS (which was between 1.248-1.26v load), I had a BSOD at about 9 hours.

Anyway my chip used to be stable at 1.236v at 4.5 ghz, but degraded some thanks to a lot of priming at 5 ghz (using 1.404-1.416v load) attempts, which was stable in the beginning and eventually lead to BSOD's sooner and sooner (=degradation) and some more degradation after hours of Bad company 2. But seems to have stabilized (for now) at 1.44v load @ 5 ghz and 1.260v load at 4.5 ghz. Only time will tell if I get any more degradation or not or if the chip has hopefully settled; usually the chips degrade some, depending on what settings used, and then settle down and remain stable long term. The higher the voltage, though, the more degradation you may get before it "settles."

What happens if you try lower than 1.29v? Can you do 12 hours of prime?
Edited by Falkentyne - 5/14/11 at 3:49pm
SB Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD5 B3 R9 290X 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, 250gb Liteon ihbs212 blu-ray burner/reader XP+W7 Benq XL2720Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 69/Year of the Goat/Shine 5 Seasonic Platinum X1000 Corsair 760T Logitech G502 with r0ach approved ™ sensor 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
SB Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD5 B3 R9 290X 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, 250gb Liteon ihbs212 blu-ray burner/reader XP+W7 Benq XL2720Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 69/Year of the Goat/Shine 5 Seasonic Platinum X1000 Corsair 760T Logitech G502 with r0ach approved ™ sensor 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › 2500k @4.5ghz...Got some questions