Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Upgrade Help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrade Help. - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manooloo View Post
But wouldn't I also need to buy a new version of Windows for the Mobo?
If thats the case just call up MS and say that your motherboard died and you need help activating it on your new one. Heaps of people do it.

Trust me when I say you wont regret choosing CF 6850s, a new CPU and new MB over a 570.
 
A Noisy Box
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Crossfire Gigabyte HD 6850s at 900MHz 4x2GB G.Skill Trident 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD + 60GB SSD cache Pioneer 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCase
Black Widow for Gaming + Apple wired keyboard Corsair TX750 HAF 922 + 200mm side fan 
  hide details  
Reply
 
A Noisy Box
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Crossfire Gigabyte HD 6850s at 900MHz 4x2GB G.Skill Trident 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD + 60GB SSD cache Pioneer 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCase
Black Widow for Gaming + Apple wired keyboard Corsair TX750 HAF 922 + 200mm side fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerabbit View Post
If thats the case just call up MS and say that your motherboard died and you need help activating it on your new one. Heaps of people do it.

Trust me when I say you wont regret choosing CF 6850s, a new CPU and new MB over a 570.
Depending on how Bulldozer turns out I plan on either getting BD or Sandybridge. I did plan on buying the graphics card and then gathering a bit of money later on to pay for the CPU and motherboard upgrade. But what your saying does throw a spanner in the works. I'm just not sure if I want to stay with AM3.
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manooloo View Post
Depending on how Bulldozer turns out I plan on either getting BD or Sandybridge. I did plan on buying the graphics card and then gathering a bit of money later on to pay for the CPU and motherboard upgrade. But what your saying does throw a spanner in the works. I'm just not sure if I want to stay with AM3.
Well bulldozer isn't exactly out of the question, the motherboard I suggested is AM3+ capable after a BIOS update. So you could get the board and the 6850 now, wait until BD comes out and then choose between a BD chip or a 955 (which would be cheaper because of the release of BD).

Or you could wait until BD (its not too long now) to make your choice on the CPU and OC the GPU for now (if you haven't already).
Edited by Polymerabbit - 5/15/11 at 6:05am
 
A Noisy Box
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Crossfire Gigabyte HD 6850s at 900MHz 4x2GB G.Skill Trident 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD + 60GB SSD cache Pioneer 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCase
Black Widow for Gaming + Apple wired keyboard Corsair TX750 HAF 922 + 200mm side fan 
  hide details  
Reply
 
A Noisy Box
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Crossfire Gigabyte HD 6850s at 900MHz 4x2GB G.Skill Trident 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD + 60GB SSD cache Pioneer 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCase
Black Widow for Gaming + Apple wired keyboard Corsair TX750 HAF 922 + 200mm side fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerabbit View Post
Well bulldozer isn't exactly out of the question, the motherboard I suggested is AM3+ capable after a BIOS update. So you could get the board and the 6850 now, wait until BD comes out and then choose between a BD chip or a 955 (which would be cheaper because of the release of BD).

Or you could wait until BD (its not too long now) to make your choice on the CPU and OC the GPU for now (if you haven't already).
Should I use the Catalyst Control Centre to OC the GPU for now?
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manooloo View Post
Should I use the Catalyst Control Centre to OC the GPU for now?
I used MSI afterburner for mine and it worked fine. On one I got stable 960Mhz core and 1200Mhz memory, the other 970Mhz core and 1180Mhz memory. Brought them both down to 900 and 1100 when I went CF.

You could try catalyst, but from my experience I think it would be simpler with afterburner.
 
A Noisy Box
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Crossfire Gigabyte HD 6850s at 900MHz 4x2GB G.Skill Trident 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD + 60GB SSD cache Pioneer 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCase
Black Widow for Gaming + Apple wired keyboard Corsair TX750 HAF 922 + 200mm side fan 
  hide details  
Reply
 
A Noisy Box
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k @ 4.0GHz Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Crossfire Gigabyte HD 6850s at 900MHz 4x2GB G.Skill Trident 1600MHz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Intel X-25M 120GB SSD, 500GB HDD + 60GB SSD cache Pioneer 22x DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Dell U2311H 
KeyboardPowerCase
Black Widow for Gaming + Apple wired keyboard Corsair TX750 HAF 922 + 200mm side fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymerabbit View Post
I used MSI afterburner for mine and it worked fine. On one I got stable 960Mhz core and 1200Mhz memory, the other 970Mhz core and 1180Mhz memory. Brought them both down to 900 and 1100 when I went CF.

You could try catalyst, but from my experience I think it would be simpler with afterburner.
Ok, i will give that a go. Thanks very much, you've been very helpful
post #17 of 17
Thread Starter 
Ok, I have everything decided. I'm going to buy a 6950 now. Unlock shaders. Wait to see Bulldozer Benchmarks and buy either BD or SB. Buy two extra monitors and maybe another 6950! It may take some time, but should be fun
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Graphics Cards - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › Graphics Cards - General › Upgrade Help.