I am switching over to the PC world from the Mac world and it looks like my best value and learning experience will come if I build my own computer. I'm probably going to use it mainly for programming with some gaming on the side.
I'm looking at my options as far as components. Please advise me if I can save money on some components, or there are some better options for me.
Here is my tentative build:
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922
Processor: Intel i5 2500K
Mobo: Gigibyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAP422 22x DVDÂ±RW
Besides the general build, I also have a few specific questions:
1. Is the extra 20-40 dollars for a modular PSU worth it?
2. Is 600W a good amount of wattage for my usecase?
3. Is there a cheaper display available with similar performance?
4. Is a $100 60gb SSD drive upgrade something worth considering? If so, is 60gb enough for a boot and common applications?
5. Are there any great guides to assembling the parts? (It is my first time)
6. With the recent release of the Z68 chipset, is now a good time to buy a PC?
Thanks so much for your help!