Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › How can i run 3 way CF in the NZXT Phantom or i need a new case (Corsair 600T)?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How can i run 3 way CF in the NZXT Phantom or i need a new case (Corsair 600T)? - Page 3

post #21 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post
They sell them at MC for 30 bucks. You can also get em from Corsair of course. Back when I got my 700D for 140 they gave em away lol.
Hmm it seem i can't find the 700D anymore, its OOS on NE. Btw, do you think the 600T would work?
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocnewb View Post
Hmm it seem i can't find the 700D anymore, its OOS on NE. Btw, do you think the 600T would work?
Any 7 slot case can hold 4 cards as long as the MB slot spacing allows it. As for the case, you'd need space between the last slot and the psu, at least enough to allow a dual slot card, maybe 3 for air movement.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 37
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-376-_-Product

would work for you im sure

also the new Xigmatex Elysium that's coming out
Poison
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3820 @ 4.7 Sabertooth x79 Powercolor 6870x2 G Skill 2133 8gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Noctua DH14 win7 64 ultimate HP 2511x 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
microsoft Sidewinder Enermax Modu 87+ 900 Asus GX800 none 
Audio
Yamaha RX-V955, B&W bookshelves and Infinity PS-8 
  hide details  
Reply
Poison
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3820 @ 4.7 Sabertooth x79 Powercolor 6870x2 G Skill 2133 8gb 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Crucial m4 Noctua DH14 win7 64 ultimate HP 2511x 
KeyboardPowerMouseMouse Pad
microsoft Sidewinder Enermax Modu 87+ 900 Asus GX800 none 
Audio
Yamaha RX-V955, B&W bookshelves and Infinity PS-8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 37
Tomorrow when you move one of the two HD5870s to the lowest PCIex16 slot to test out possible conflict with all the headers, I suggest you to move the upper card.

With this, you will also be able to simulate the future tri-fire situation where the 2 lower cards have no empty slot in between them. See pic below. The red arrow points to that narrow gap. Run a few game benchmarks to check the temperature of the 2 cards, especially the upper one (ie the one 'middle 5870' in the pic below).

IMHO, this will be the biggest challenge that you will face when you do a tri-fire setup. The middle HD5870 will run much hotter. Having said this, it might not cause BSODs but I expect the middle card to hit , at least, high 80's to low 90's C when gaming.

And, since you say that your Phantom currently is barely offering enough air for your current pair, 3 cards will be even more 'air-demanding', particularly to the middle card.

IMHO, you will need a case with strong air supply from the side pointing at that gap (and preferably from the case front intake as well) to provide good cooling. That is, it is not just a case with a side panel fan. Obviously a case with a side panel fan pointing at the CPU area is not going to help out in this situation. The fan(s) must point to that specific area. This is a feature of a case that you should go after, in addition to the 8th expansion slot issue.

Edited by windfire - 5/16/11 at 1:21am
post #25 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post
Tomorrow when you move one of the two HD5870s to the lowest PCIex16 slot to test out possible conflict with all the headers, I suggest you to move the upper card.

With this, you will also be able to simulate the future tri-fire situation where the 2 lower cards have no empty slot in between them. See pic below. The red arrow points to that narrow gap. Run a few game benchmarks to check the temperature of the 2 cards, especially the upper one (ie the one 'middle 5870' in the pic below).

IMHO, this will be the biggest challenge that you will face when you do a tri-fire setup. The middle HD5870 will run much hotter. Having said this, it might not cause BSODs but I expect the middle card to hit , at least, high 80's to low 90's C when gaming.

And, since you say that your Phantom currently is barely offering enough air for your current pair, 3 cards will be even more 'air-demanding', particularly to the middle card.

IMHO, you will need a case with strong air supply from the side pointing at that gap (and preferably from the case front intake as well) to provide good cooling. That is, it is not just a case with a side panel fan. Obviously a case with a side panel fan pointing at the CPU area is not going to help out in this situation. The fan(s) must point to that specific area. This is a feature of a case that you should go after, in addition to the 8th expansion slot issue.
Thank you for a great advice, ill try today and ill let you know. If the 600T could accommodate 3 of my card then it would be the one because it does come with 2 side panel. One is with the clear glass and one is a mesh that you can mount 4x 120mm fans. That would be a plenty good of side intake that blow directly to the GPUs.
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocnewb View Post
Thank you for a great advice, ill try today and ill let you know. If the 600T could accommodate 3 of my card then it would be the one because it does come with 2 side panel. One is with the clear glass and one is a mesh that you can mount 4x 120mm fans. That would be a plenty good of side intake that blow directly to the GPUs.
Ah, I do not know the 600T has an optional side panel which supports 4x 120mm fans. Then, I suppose the 600T could handle your tri-fire HD5870s well. The fans can supply good ambient air to the cards, especially the middle one.

See the pic below for my pictorial simulation (I hope you like it ) of placing your motherboard into a 600T with a Corsair HX850 fitted. Note the 3 red rectangles, depicting the 3 HD5870s.

So far it looks ok. Let's see how your test turns out tomorrow.
post #27 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post
Ah, I do not know the 600T has an optional side panel which supports 4x 120mm fans. Then, I suppose the 600T could handle your tri-fire HD5870s well. The fans can supply good ambient air to the cards, especially the middle one.

See the pic below for my pictorial simulation (I hope you like it ) of placing your motherboard into a 600T with a Corsair HX850 fitted. Note the 3 red rectangles, depicting the 3 HD5870s.

So far it looks ok. Let's see how your test turns out tomorrow.
Thanks very much again Windfire , you've been a great help! I'll test it placing the 1st card into 3 slots this afternoon and ill report back. CorsairGeorge also got back to me and confirmed that the 600T SE would work as well. I like the look of the 600T SE as well.
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 37
A few others you may like to consider:
Rosewill armor:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147047
Rosewill Blackhawk: (love this case) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811147107
possibly the CM 690 II advanced: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119216

With the Extreme 4 I think you'd have issues with the USB 3.0 header; but i'm sure the rest of the headers would fold down out of the way easily... but if you tri fire won't they all only run at x4?

Pictures of my sig rig in the Blackhawk:
Claudette
(15 items)
 
Claudette
(31 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k @4.5GHz ASRock P67 Extreme4 Sapphire HD 6870 OCZ Reaper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Western Digital Black 7200RPM Sony Xigmatek Gaia 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2253mh 22" LED-LCD Logitech mk710 desktop Rocketfish 900W modular Rosewill Blackhawk 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Zero-G 
  hide details  
Reply
Claudette
(15 items)
 
Claudette
(31 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k @4.5GHz ASRock P67 Extreme4 Sapphire HD 6870 OCZ Reaper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Western Digital Black 7200RPM Sony Xigmatek Gaia 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2253mh 22" LED-LCD Logitech mk710 desktop Rocketfish 900W modular Rosewill Blackhawk 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Zero-G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 37
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfire View Post
So far it looks ok. Let's see how your test turns out tomorrow.
I just checked today and card in 3rd slot didn't interfere with the headers . I will order the 600T Special Edition tomorrow i think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veritas-truth View Post

With the Extreme 4 I think you'd have issues with the USB 3.0 header; but i'm sure the rest of the headers would fold down out of the way easily... but if you tri fire won't they all only run at x4?

Pictures of my sig rig in the Blackhawk:
Luckily i don't use that USB 3.0 header as i don't really have things to use the USB 3.0 anyway . I still have like 2-3 3.0 USB at the back. I've used the Advance II before so i don't really want to use it again. I run the cards independently so it really doesn't matter. 4x or not doesn't effect their peformance for the work i want them to do .
Also the Black Hawk doesn't look like it has enough intake/cooling for my 3x 5870s.
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
~|Nanpa|~
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
|A8-3870k 3.5Ghz| |Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H| |Onboard 6550D -_-| |Samsung 30nm Low Profile 2133 Cas9| 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
|Corsair Force GT 90GB|WD 820GB| |SamSung BluRay| |Stock Heatsink -_-| |Win 7 Ultimate x64| 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
|Samsung S27A950 120Hz 3D| |Microsoft SideWinder X4| |CorSaiR HX650| |Open TechBench|White LeDs|PurPle UV| 
MouseMouse PadAudio
|Microsoft SideWinder X8| |SteelSeries Diablo III| |OnBoard| 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 37
The Blackhawk is very similar to the 690, so that's probably another negative for you.

But as far as fans, it has 2 120's in the front; if you only use 1 optical drive you can put another 120 in there. If you remove the bottom HDD cage you can put 2 120 or 140 fans on the floor, and 1 120 on the side panel.

For exhaust there is a 120 on the back and up to 2 120/140 on the top.

But I hope you like your 600T!
Claudette
(15 items)
 
Claudette
(31 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k @4.5GHz ASRock P67 Extreme4 Sapphire HD 6870 OCZ Reaper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Western Digital Black 7200RPM Sony Xigmatek Gaia 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2253mh 22" LED-LCD Logitech mk710 desktop Rocketfish 900W modular Rosewill Blackhawk 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Zero-G 
  hide details  
Reply
Claudette
(15 items)
 
Claudette
(31 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k @4.5GHz ASRock P67 Extreme4 Sapphire HD 6870 OCZ Reaper 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM Western Digital Black 7200RPM Sony Xigmatek Gaia 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic VX2253mh 22" LED-LCD Logitech mk710 desktop Rocketfish 900W modular Rosewill Blackhawk 
Mouse
CM Storm Sentinel Zero-G 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › How can i run 3 way CF in the NZXT Phantom or i need a new case (Corsair 600T)?