Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Watercooled Silent/Quiet OC Gaming Setup - Need advice!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Watercooled Silent/Quiet OC Gaming Setup - Need advice!

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new setup and I'd love if I can get some advice. I'm quite new to this, turning 18 this Thursday and getting some birthday money to add to my savings and buy a new setup.

Reason I'm buying a new setup is my old one's loud and runs only low quality for high-end games. The case is falling apart too, I've had it for about 6-7 years and kept upgrading its parts. My current build is Pentium D Dual Core 3.0Ghz (x64) 4GB RAM and Nvidia 8800 GS. Now that I've saved up enough money I decided to get rid of my old setup and put together a new computer from scratch with brand new parts.

The theme of my system is a silent/quiet OC gaming pc (if possible with my budget). My budget is around £750 ($1300) but I'm willing to go over it if needed (money IS an issue though).

I've been looking around and I got a few ideas for parts:

CPU: Intel 2600k
Graphics: EVGA GTX 570 | Edit: this might be too expensive, maybe 560 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO
Case: Coolermaster 690 II Advanced
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H70 (do I need H70 or will H50 suffice for 5GHZ OCing?)

Goes downhill from there (need help with these choices):

RAM: 4GB - 8GB DDR3 1600?
HDD 1: an SDD drive for the system around 60-120 GB.
HDD 2: Any decent HDD for data around 500GB (on my old computer I never filled my 300GB)
PSU: I'm completely clueless about this, I know I need a lot of power for overclocking but I also need it to be quiet. So around 700W?
Soundcard: Xonar DG maybe

Thanks!

Edit:
Oh and if possible could you recommend a cheap site to buy the parts from? Would help and I'd really appreciate it, thanks again.
UPDATE: forgot to add that it will be watercooled
also, I'll be installing noise reduction foam so it's ok if some parts are noisy.
Edited by Aisaka - 5/17/11 at 6:17am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisaka View Post
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new setup and I'd love if I can get some advice. I'm quite new to this, turning 18 this Thursday and getting some birthday money to add to my savings and buy a new setup.

Reason I'm buying a new setup is my old one's loud and runs only low quality for high-end games. The case is falling apart too, I've had it for about 6-7 years and kept upgrading its parts. My current build is Pentium D Dual Core 3.0Ghz (x64) 4GB RAM and Nvidia 8800 GS. Now that I've saved up enough money I decided to get rid of my old setup and put together a new computer from scratch with brand new parts.

The theme of my system is a silent/quiet OC gaming pc (if possible with my budget). My budget is around £750 ($1300) but I'm willing to go over it if needed (money IS an issue though).

I've been looking around and I got a few ideas for parts:

CPU: Intel 2600k
Graphics: EVGA GTX 570 | Edit: this might be too expensive, maybe 560 Ti
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO
Case: Coolermaster 690 II Advanced
CPU Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H70 (do I need H70 or will H50 suffice for 5GHZ OCing?)

Goes downhill from there (need help with these choices):

RAM: 4GB - 8GB DDR3 1600?
HDD 1: an SDD drive for the system around 60-120 GB.
HDD 2: Any decent HDD for data around 500GB (on my old computer I never filled my 300GB)
PSU: I'm completely clueless about this, I know I need a lot of power for overclocking but I also need it to be quiet. So around 700W?
Soundcard: Xonar DG maybe

Thanks!

Edit:
Oh and if possible could you recommend a cheap site to buy the parts from? Would help and I'd really appreciate it, thanks again.
UPDATE: forgot to add that it will be watercooled
also, I'll be installing noise reduction foam so it's ok if some parts are noisy.
Hi welcome to ocn

Ok first get the 2500k it's just as fast as the 2600k for gaming and you will save £100 towards other parts

Motherboard is fine

H70 is ok for 5ghz the H50 will not suffice for this realisticly.

SSD i use the kingston 64gb for my os and i have a samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hdd for storage and im very happy with the combo.

Yes a good 650w 700w psu will suffice and provide room for a good overclock i recommend a corsair unit, They have a very good reputation for reliabilty. If you are planning to go sli or crossfire in the future then perhaps a 750 - 800w unit would be better.

4gb memory is plenty and i recommend the gskill ripjaws x 1600mhz 1.5 - 1.6v

The 560ti is a great card! and when overclocked you will be able to max out any game

If you are from the uk i think aria pc is the cheapest and provides a great service!

Enjoy your new build
Edited by Chewy - 5/17/11 at 10:59am
Chewy's Chomper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k Asis Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 16GB Corsair vengence DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung M2 256gb nvme Custom loop, 360+120 rads Windows 10 64bit Asus 28" MG28UQ 4K 
PowerCase
Seasonic X series 750w gold Corsair 400c 
  hide details  
Reply
Chewy's Chomper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k Asis Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 16GB Corsair vengence DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung M2 256gb nvme Custom loop, 360+120 rads Windows 10 64bit Asus 28" MG28UQ 4K 
PowerCase
Seasonic X series 750w gold Corsair 400c 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Hi welcome to ocn

Ok first get the 2500k it's just as fast as the 2600k for gaming and you will save £100 towards other parts

Motherboard is fine

H70 is ok for 5ghz the H50 will not suffice for this realisticly.

SSD i use the kingston 64gb for my os and i have a samsung spinpoint f3 1tb hdd for storage and im very happy with the combo.

Yes a good 650w 700w psu will suffice and provide room for a good overclock i recommend a corsair unit, They have a very good reputation for reliabilty. If you are planning to go sli or crossfire in the future then perhaps a 750 - 800w unit would be better.

4gb memory is plenty and i recommend the gskill ripjaws x 1600mhz 1.5 - 1.6v

The 560ti is a great card! and when overclocked you will be able to max out any game

If you are from the uk i think aria pc is the cheapest and provides a great service!

Enjoy your new build
Thank you! This really helped

I'll be getting the 2500K and 560 Ti most likely, like you advised.

Just a question, do you need watercooling for the graphics card if you're going to overclock? and is it worth getting?

Thanks again
post #4 of 7
this for graphics card; http://www.kikatek.com/product_info....source=froogle

get a decent 1000w powersupply, then you can sli when you have the money, im not sure if thats a reference card with an aftermarket cooler, if it is, good for w/c, if not, find the reference, at lesser price, and thats what you want, im sure someone can differentiate for you.
Edited by DSF_x - 5/17/11 at 12:07pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel 3000 G-Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 320 Series SSD Stock Intel HSF , 2 Antec 100 stock fans, 2 ult... Windows 7 64 Bit Professional Samsung Syncmaster B2430 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair CX430 V2 Antec 100 Logitech Dinovo 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k ASUS P8Z68-V LX Intel 3000 G-Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 320 Series SSD Stock Intel HSF , 2 Antec 100 stock fans, 2 ult... Windows 7 64 Bit Professional Samsung Syncmaster B2430 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Illuminated Corsair CX430 V2 Antec 100 Logitech Dinovo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisaka View Post
Thank you! This really helped

I'll be getting the 2500K and 560 Ti most likely, like you advised.

Just a question, do you need watercooling for the graphics card if you're going to overclock? and is it worth getting?

Thanks again
if u get a good 560 with a good cooler you can oc quite well without water cooling
this 560 is really good:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-578-_-Product
My Pride and Joy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-860 MSI P55-GD80 XFX 9800GT 512mb Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Corsair Nova 64GB HP dvd1270 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22in Samsung Syncmaster Logitech G510 Seasonic 750Watt Gold Edition Corsair 600T 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
My Pride and Joy
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-860 MSI P55-GD80 XFX 9800GT 512mb Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Hitachi DeskStar 1TB Corsair Nova 64GB HP dvd1270 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
22in Samsung Syncmaster Logitech G510 Seasonic 750Watt Gold Edition Corsair 600T 
Mouse
Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisaka View Post
Thank you! This really helped

I'll be getting the 2500K and 560 Ti most likely, like you advised.

Just a question, do you need watercooling for the graphics card if you're going to overclock? and is it worth getting?

Thanks again
You do not need watercooling to overclock a GPU. It will help you get a bit further than you could get on air but to me at least, it's not worth the extra price. The money spent on watercooling could easily be spent on a better GPU, which would give you better performance than an overclocked, watercooled, lesser GPU.
post #7 of 7
that sounds like a great build. You don't really need to watercool the gpu for a decent overclock, cards like the 480 create a lot of heat so those are frequently put underwater. But from my knowledge the 560 and 570s dont make too much heat.
Noob tube
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k p67 Revolution GTX 670 Ripjaws 4gb @ 1600hz x 4 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
M4 64gb / Chronos 256 gb Dell U24 Corsair hx1000 TJ07 
Audio
Auzentech Forte 
  hide details  
Reply
Noob tube
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k p67 Revolution GTX 670 Ripjaws 4gb @ 1600hz x 4 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
M4 64gb / Chronos 256 gb Dell U24 Corsair hx1000 TJ07 
Audio
Auzentech Forte 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Watercooled Silent/Quiet OC Gaming Setup - Need advice!