Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Bought new speakers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bought new speakers - Page 5

post #41 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude View Post
Probably the only answer that actually helps me.
It's $50 cheaper, but it has less watts. Can someone explain the difference?
Watts just means how much power the amp provides. You can have a terribly inefficient speaker and a very efficient speaker, and both speakers would have very different SPL levels drawing the same amount of power from the amp. Watts doesn't mean much without knowing the rest of the specs of the speaker (Sensitivity, Resistance, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude View Post
Bump:
Since these are supposed to be 300w speakers, I decided to test how loud they can get.
I closed all the doors and warned everybody in the house, and then turned them up about 80%. They were so loud, I had to cover my ears. I couldn't even go up to 100%. All while remaining perfectly clear.

So yea, I think these aren't "crap".
"Loud" and "perfectly clear" are EXTREMELY relative terms. Heck, before my current audio setup, I thought my X-540's were "perfectly clear." If you haven't listened to anything better, you won't be able to tell what is truly "loud" or "perfectly clear." Not saying they aren't, but go down to BB and listen to the Promedia 2.1's. Not exactly the best listening environment, but I'd put my money on the Klipsch set sounding better.
Edited by kpopsaranghae - 5/21/11 at 3:20pm
post #42 of 44
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpopsaranghae View Post
Watts just means how much power the amp provides. You can have a terribly inefficient speaker and a very efficient speaker, and both speakers would have very different SPL levels drawing the same amount of power from the amp. Watts doesn't mean much without knowing the rest of the specs of the speaker (Sensitivity, Resistance, etc.)



"Loud" and "perfectly clear" are EXTREMELY relative terms. Heck, before my current audio setup, I thought my X-540's were "perfectly clear." If you haven't listened to anything better, you won't be able to tell what is truly "loud" or "perfectly clear." Not saying they aren't, but go down to BB and listen to the Promedia 2.1's. Not exactly the best listening environment, but I'd put my money on the Klipsch set sounding better.
So my main question is, will the AV-40's be better overall than my current speakers?
post #43 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude View Post
So my main question is, will the AV-40's be better overall than my current speakers?
For the highs and mids. Definitely. Just looking at the photo on your current set... There isn't a separate tweeter and woofer....? How can they possibly be perfectly clear >< Despite the fact that I haven't listened to these before, I'm pretty sure the highs would suck on these speakers.

Seeing that you have only used cheap speakers before, I can understand why you think this set is "perfectly clear", but I'm pretty sure an AV-40 will be a big upgrade in terms of clarity.
post #44 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsdude View Post
Bump:
Since these are supposed to be 300w speakers, I decided to test how loud they can get.
I closed all the doors and warned everybody in the house, and then turned them up about 80%. They were so loud, I had to cover my ears. I couldn't even go up to 100%. All while remaining perfectly clear.

So yea, I think these aren't "crap".
They aren't crap to your standards because you've never heard better speakers before. To my standards, they're crap, and yes I've heard them at Fry's.

They're not 300W speakers, they're 300W peak speakers, aka..they suck. Or they're 300W total combined(3 speakers total), which still doesn't mean they're good.

Most people like loud speakers but they don't care or don't notice that sound quality(frequency response) is what's most important.

If you're satisfied with them and don't want to return, that's fine. We're just giving you advice on getting better speakers. We're not forcing to return and buy better speakers.

Also, Sony do make great products, but their speaker section sucks.
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel Junk
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E4500 @ 2.75GHz GIGABYTE 965P-S3 PNY 8800GT 512MB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 1000MHz 2GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 750GB AALS, Hitachi 160GB laptop none Windows 7 Ulitmate 32bit 22" Acer LCD AL2216W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 350 Internet ASUS OEM 300W none Logitech RX300 
Mouse Pad
pads pads pads 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Bought new speakers