Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Need help picking a MB
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need help picking a MB

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
I need some help picking a MB for my SandyBridge build. I will have the following specs:

i7 2500k (if someone has one used for sale, I will take it)
MB - ????
GTX480 SC (downgraded from my 580) (probably SLi later)
OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
12GB DDR3 (tri channel from X58 board, i know it only supports Dual Channel)


My questions are:

What is a good motherboard for this setup (mind you, I am only doing gaming and movie watching, nothing too demanding) CPU will be lightly overclocked.

Will I notice any performance decrease in running a Tri channel set of RAM in a dual channel motherboard? I want at least 12-16GB of ram.

Thanks.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 2 x Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970) 12Gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSCase
Intel X25 SSD, 6TB WD Greens Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Soldam Windy Alcadia FX2000R SOJ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 2 x Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970) 12Gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSCase
Intel X25 SSD, 6TB WD Greens Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Soldam Windy Alcadia FX2000R SOJ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
I would personally go for the ASUS P8P67 PRO (if your sticking with two way SLI, otherwise go for the WS Revolution ) - excellent slot spacing and has SLI and UEFI which is always nice to use You will see a drop in synthetic performance, but real world you shouldn't see any performance drops.
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 9
What's your budget?
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman23 View Post
What's your budget?
No budget, but if the features are going to go to waste, then I am not going to spend it. I just need a motherboard, so 200 or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post
I would personally go for the ASUS P8P67 PRO (if your sticking with two way SLI, otherwise go for the WS Revolution ) - excellent slot spacing and has SLI and UEFI which is always nice to use You will see a drop in synthetic performance, but real world you shouldn't see any performance drops.
So you would go with P67 over Z68?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 2 x Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970) 12Gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSCase
Intel X25 SSD, 6TB WD Greens Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Soldam Windy Alcadia FX2000R SOJ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 2 x Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970) 12Gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSCase
Intel X25 SSD, 6TB WD Greens Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Soldam Windy Alcadia FX2000R SOJ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
If you aren't doing anything too demanding than why would you need 12-16gb of Ram? 8 is way more than enough for most anything that isn't heavy duty. Regardless, try to stick with dual channel, 4x4x4x4 if you have to. As far as the motherboard goes MSI is really good price/features+performance. Take a look at the P67-GD65 or even GD55 or GD45. $180, $160, and $140 respectively i think depending on where you shop. Also maybe the Asrock Extreme4 is pretty good for $160 i think it is. If you want an Asus board I really like the Sabertooth P67, it's definately unique, and it costs $220.
Purple Rainer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Sabertooth Z97 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 16 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A bunch of SSDs Blu-ray drive Corsair H105 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 27-inch IPS DasKeyboard (blue switches) EVGA Supernova 850w Corsair 600C 
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
Purple Rainer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Asus Sabertooth Z97 EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified 16 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
A bunch of SSDs Blu-ray drive Corsair H105 Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell Ultrasharp 27-inch IPS DasKeyboard (blue switches) EVGA Supernova 850w Corsair 600C 
Mouse
Logitech G602 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 9
Really there is no advantages to Z68 other than integrating onboard video and SSD caching (using a SSD in conjunction with a HD to cache all the most frequent data) - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO would be the equivalent, but its a $20 premium for onboard video
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
The Laptop
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 2860QM AMD Radeon HD 6770M Corsair Vengence 1600MHz Samsung 840 Pro 256GB 
OSMonitor
Mac OS X 10.8 1680 x 1050 anti-glare high resolution  
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonze View Post
If you aren't doing anything too demanding than why would you need 12-16gb of Ram? 8 is way more than enough for most anything that isn't heavy duty. Regardless, try to stick with dual channel, 4x4x4x4 if you have to. As far as the motherboard goes MSI is really good price/features+performance. Take a look at the P67-GD65 or even GD55 or GD45. $180, $160, and $140 respectively i think depending on where you shop. Also maybe the Asrock Extreme4 is pretty good for $160 i think it is. If you want an Asus board I really like the Sabertooth P67, it's definately unique, and it costs $220.
I run multiple Virtual Machines on this PC, including W7, Linux and 3 Server 2008 systems for testing. I eat up ram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleg33k85 View Post
Really there is no advantages to Z68 other than integrating onboard video and SSD caching (using a SSD in conjunction with a HD to cache all the most frequent data) - ASUS P8Z68-V PRO would be the equivalent, but its a $20 premium for onboard video
I am using a SSD as the boot drive. Does that make a difference?
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 2 x Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970) 12Gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSCase
Intel X25 SSD, 6TB WD Greens Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Soldam Windy Alcadia FX2000R SOJ 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500K gigabyte z68x-ud3h-b3 2 x Sapphire 6950 (unlocked to 6970) 12Gb Gskill Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSCase
Intel X25 SSD, 6TB WD Greens Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Soldam Windy Alcadia FX2000R SOJ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 9
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ng,2938-7.html

A few benchmarks using SSD caching with the new chipset.
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmansueto View Post
I need some help picking a MB for my SandyBridge build. I will have the following specs:

i7 2500k (if someone has one used for sale, I will take it)
MB - ????
GTX480 SC (downgraded from my 580) (probably SLi later)
OCZ ZX 1000W PSU
12GB DDR3 (tri channel from X58 board, i know it only supports Dual Channel)


My questions are:

What is a good motherboard for this setup (mind you, I am only doing gaming and movie watching, nothing too demanding) CPU will be lightly overclocked.

Will I notice any performance decrease in running a Tri channel set of RAM in a dual channel motherboard? I want at least 12-16GB of ram.

Thanks.
Gigabyte z68x ud3p is the best mobo for your needs,hope u like like it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128493
asus p8p67 pro is also a good option.
Edited by Aniket - 5/18/11 at 8:48am
Cyrus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100T Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 MSI HD6950 TF III PE 2GB unlocked @ HD6970 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 @ 1800MHz ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HP dvd1260 Zalman CNPS 9900 NT Windows7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster P2250 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G105 Corsair gs600 80+ Bronze Corsair Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Spectre Starcraft II  Razer Goliathus Dragon AgeII Edition (speed) 
  hide details  
Reply
Cyrus
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1100T Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0 MSI HD6950 TF III PE 2GB unlocked @ HD6970 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz CL9 @ 1800MHz ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 HP dvd1260 Zalman CNPS 9900 NT Windows7 Ultimate 64bit SP1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster P2250 21.5" 1920x1080 Logitech G105 Corsair gs600 80+ Bronze Corsair Carbide 400R 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer Spectre Starcraft II  Razer Goliathus Dragon AgeII Edition (speed) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Need help picking a MB