Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ZDnet] Apple malware on the rise per Applecare Support
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[ZDnet] Apple malware on the rise per Applecare Support - Page 6

post #51 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post
Actually, it could be quite possible.
On another note, mac users essentially shoot themself's in the foot by says "macs don't get viruses" by making them more popular.
This isn't a surprise, macs are very popular in the US and there are plenty of criminals out there who want in on mac users stupidity.

Still, mac users will find another silly reason to call windows bad, like BSOD.
apple products are very popular in hong kong

you can't go anywhere without seeing an apple product of some sort
post #52 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post
apple products are very popular in hong kong

you can't go anywhere without seeing an apple product of some sort
Just saying its a mater of time before someone took notice into the growing mac user base.
What
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6950X X99 Deluxe ASUS GTX Titan Black 32GB @ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 Pro Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell UltraSharp U3014 Microsoft SideWinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX860 NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Castor Asus Xonar STX + 2x LME49860NA OPs + HD650s 
  hide details  
Reply
What
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6950X X99 Deluxe ASUS GTX Titan Black 32GB @ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 Pro Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell UltraSharp U3014 Microsoft SideWinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX860 NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Castor Asus Xonar STX + 2x LME49860NA OPs + HD650s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #53 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by gill View Post
I agree. It's not MAC users I dislike, it's not macs themselves (Love their styling), it's just the attitude.

I only speak for myself here, but when I see something handy on my girlfriends MAC, I acknowledge that it is handy...if something is annoying to me, I just deal with it and move on - hey, that's why I don't own a MAC, they just aren't for me.

On the flip side of that, her as a mac user will NEVER admit anything on windows is good (or even the same) and if she finds something on windows she hates, then boy do I hear about it.

OT: Hopefully MAC users heed this warning, it will only be them suffering when their computers are filled with viruses.
First, it's not MAC, it's Mac. MAC is Media Access Control.
Second, there still aren't true to form "viruses" for the platform...yet. This is completely different. There have always been scripts for the Mac platform (dating back 25 years at least) that could do some very malicious things. As far as OS X goes, it's not spreading from one person to another. These people are getting infected by MacDefender by downloading it, and installing it with an Admin password. Big difference from that of conventional "viruses."

Quote:
Originally Posted by [\\/]Paris View Post
I figure it works this way, MACs only defence up to now has been the fact that they have such incredibly small market share that most professional hackers didn't view it as worth while to target the platform.

However Apple in general has seen it's profile as a company bloom ever since Ipod came out. Now more people buy MACs thinking they're still the same perfect systems. However the more people that buy MACs, the bigger it's profile grows, making it that much more of a target.

So in essence, Apple becomes a victim of it's own popularity. I just feel sorry for all the end users who think they're safe without 1 iota of protection on their systems.
Again, it's Mac. I used OS X from 2001 to 2008, and not once did I ever get infected. Hell, in 2002 I bought Norton for my machine and that was more of a Virus than anything I had ever installed. Being a big part of the file-sharing scene back then, I saw my fair share of malware running around disguised as installers and what not. They aren't hard to spot, and always need Admin approval to install.

Again, it comes down to user stupidity. Though, as OS X does become more popular, I do see it becoming more vulnerable. Time to batten down the hatches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse^_^ View Post
I would..
That's cos you're a terrible human being with absolutely no respect for other people. Your fanboysim knows no bounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NameUnknown View Post
This thread has turned out rather interesting, as well as surprisingly calm for an Apple thread. But, for those who wonder what makes this news, its not the advertising Apple does, its not their 'immunity', its the rate of increase. it got bad enough that the higher ups in Apple were made aware of this one particular Rogue AV. That is surprising to me. The last time I saw something explode that fast was Antivirus 2008, the original Rogue AV that started this whole trend.

Here is my theory on why its happening though. Apple was always able to advertise 'immunity' because they were obscure. Nobody wanted to write a virus for Macs because the return on effort was much lower because of market share. Now that their 'immunity' and their iDevices have sold Macs, their market is rising. Now the return on effort is getting better so people are starting now. Im sure we will see it get to the point where one of two things happens. Either it ends up like running Windows, OR Apple starts changing their advertising. In the end something has to give, and Ilook forward to seeing which way it goes because honestly, either one is fine by me.
Apple's marketing has always stated that they don't get "PC Viruses." Which is true on one hand. They can't get the same infection as a Windows running PC. That doesn't mean there aren't scripts out there, or full-blown apps that can't infect a target. It's up to the user for now.

You're right that something has to give. Apple will no longer be able to go off of how secure their OS is because the level of stupidity from users is increasing (and that's across all platforms, not just OS X).

Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post
Actually, it could be quite possible.
On another note, mac users essentially shoot themself's in the foot by says "macs don't get viruses" by making them more popular.
This isn't a surprise, macs are very popular in the US and there are plenty of criminals out there who want in on mac users stupidity.

Still, mac users will find another silly reason to call windows bad, like BSOD.
Strawman arguments come from both sides. I can't tell you how many times I've heard "Macs are only good for Graphics and Video work, you can only use 1-button mice on Macs, there are no games, you can't get on the internet with a Mac, you can't play MP3's on an iPod," etc. etc. etc. There are far more ignorant PC users than Mac users. Most Mac users are converts from Windows, actually.

But, that's neither here nor there. The real problem, for now, is the user. Perhaps if there were stiffer penalties world-wide for writing and distributing such code, we wouldn't see it as much. Look to Canada (yes, it's a haven for identity theives believe it or not) Russia, and China for developing most of the malware out there. Again, hardly any penalties or enforcement in those countries.
post #54 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by L36 View Post
Still, mac users will find another silly reason to call windows bad, like BSOD.
We have the BSOD, they have the endless beach ball. To be honest, I haven't seen a BSOD on one of my builds since Windows ME in which I promptly ditched for Windows 2000 Professional anyway.

Also, I've never had a virus or malware infect one of my computers since I was a wee lad at 14 or 15, you can imagine what kind of internet browsing I was doing to incur such a thing. But seriously, aside from the minimal spyware (heck Google is spyware), I have never had a problem with my windows or linux pc's. It's all about smart browsing and safety precautions.

In any case, it's not Mac OS that I dislike, it's Apple's advertising and their monopoly (in that only Apple can produce Macs and thus they over-charge for them) that really get my goat.

What I like about Linux is that they do advertise (on their respective distro websites) as being less vulnerable, but they don't say invulnerable and they point out that you need to be careful. They also give you tips on how to be more secure. Linux is like sex ed. If anyone listens is a different story.
Edited by dodger.blue - 5/19/11 at 7:49am
Thinkpad W520
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM Quadro 2000M 8GB DDR3 1066 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 
Hard DriveOS
500GB 7200RPM Windows 7 Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
Thinkpad W520
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM Quadro 2000M 8GB DDR3 1066 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 
Hard DriveOS
500GB 7200RPM Windows 7 Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 89
There was never anything special about Mac's. The only reason that more viruses and like afflict PC's is due to market share. The more people that buy Mac's to avoid all those nasty PC viruses just help increase its market share and make it worthwhile to develop programs to attack them.

Welcome to the world the rest of us reside in Mac users
Singularity
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Z170-Deluxe GTX 770 SLI 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force LX Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Windows 10 Home Premium 3 x ASUS VX279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Corsair RM850i Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Corsair Sabre RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Singularity
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Z170-Deluxe GTX 770 SLI 6 GB Corsair Dominator GT @ 1600 MHz 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Corsair Force LX Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Windows 10 Home Premium 3 x ASUS VX279Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair Gaming K95 RGB Corsair RM850i Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Corsair Sabre RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #56 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 13 SpeedShop View Post
I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble, but things like this is why most of the non-Mac users are lol'ing right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQb_Q8WRL_g

It's the smug little attitude being rapidly deflated that strikes us as funny. I laughed. Sorry...but I did.
Its just a question of time when someone sues Apple for false advertising... long live america freedom to SUE
Old Crap
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Gigbyte EP45-UD3P  ATI Radeon HD 4830 OCZ Fatality 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ  WD Caviar Black NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A ZEROtherm Nirvana NV 120 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Home Prem 64 Samsung T220 (22") Logitech G11  PC Power&Cooling 750W Silencer 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rocketfish Aluminum Full Tower  Logitech G9 SteelPad 5L Logitech X-530 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Crap
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Gigbyte EP45-UD3P  ATI Radeon HD 4830 OCZ Fatality 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ  WD Caviar Black NEC DVD-RW ND-3550A ZEROtherm Nirvana NV 120 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 7 Home Prem 64 Samsung T220 (22") Logitech G11  PC Power&Cooling 750W Silencer 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Rocketfish Aluminum Full Tower  Logitech G9 SteelPad 5L Logitech X-530 
  hide details  
Reply
post #57 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechati View Post
Its just a question of time when someone sues Apple for false advertising... long live america freedom to SUE
Quote:
Alan: What would you like me to do?

Denny: Perfect world? We blow 'em up.

Alan: Short of that.

Denny: Sleep with their wives.

Alan: You can do better.

Denny: Daughters?

Alan: Denny, you're an American. What does any true red-white-and-blue American do when he's been wronged, or even slightly put out, for that matter?

Denny: We sue.
I miss Boston Legal.
Thinkpad W520
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM Quadro 2000M 8GB DDR3 1066 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 
Hard DriveOS
500GB 7200RPM Windows 7 Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
Thinkpad W520
(6 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Core i7 2720QM Quadro 2000M 8GB DDR3 1066 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB 
Hard DriveOS
500GB 7200RPM Windows 7 Professional 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 89
oh noes...malware...must download antimalwarebytes..wait...doesn't support operat...what is this...time to buy another mac this one is obviously broken...
rebirth
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 x4 955 BE Asus M4A88TD-V EVO Asus gtx560 ti (non ref) G.Skill DDR31600 x12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 500Gb LG 22x Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24in Logitech g15 Corsair 650TX Corsair 600t 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Diamondback Walmart 
  hide details  
Reply
rebirth
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom 2 x4 955 BE Asus M4A88TD-V EVO Asus gtx560 ti (non ref) G.Skill DDR31600 x12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital 500Gb LG 22x Antec Kuhler 620 Win 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 24in Logitech g15 Corsair 650TX Corsair 600t 
MouseMouse Pad
Razor Diamondback Walmart 
  hide details  
Reply
post #59 of 89
Well hate to break it to you, but you've been able to create any old Applescript or bash file that would wipe the entire hard drive since the 90s... I'll write one for you if you like. You're acting like Apple has stated that no malware whatsoever can touch a Mac... There's a reason why there's a built in malware detecter with Snow Leopard: because there has been a few in the past.

Viruses don't ask for user permission to run though. MacDefender won't infect your system by simply browsing to the page or even opening the file. You have to enter the administrator password for it to gain that level of access. Now who's fault is that if you enter it? Did you know *nix can get viruses too? So is Windows better than *nix now as well? Some of people's comments just show how ignorant they are of anything outside of the dumbed down environment of Windows.
Edited by PoopaScoopa - 5/19/11 at 8:36pm
post #60 of 89
Thread Starter 
everyone saying that this isnt a virus, you are right. But the fact that this is hitting the way it is shows a transition in the development of malware. That transition will inevitably filter over to virus's. Its only a matter of time before we start hearing about this. in fact, I remember a couple years ago, there was a torrent of iWorks that had a virus and a keylogger in it. That was special telling people when theyd come in asking what happened. Granted the distrobution was small because it was a torrent for iWorks, but it still hit people. but now that this is here, I can just imagine what we will see withing the year especially considering Apples not so customer oriented response to this.
Ever Evolving
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Diamond R9 280X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB VLP DDR3 1600 CL9 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Vertex 3 120GB SSD  2x WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA3 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA2 HP DVD-RW 1170i 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Prolimatech Megahalem 2x Delta AFB1212SHE  7x Cooler Master SickleFlow R4 fans Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung SyncMaster E2420 23.6" 1920x1080 Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000W Cooler Master HAF932 (Fan Mod) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Generic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.0GHz P4 w/HT Asus P5GDC-V deluxe ATI HD 3450 2GB DDR400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x WD 360GB 1x WD 120GB 3xDead LiteOn DVDROM LiteON DVDRW XP SP3 x86 AG Neovo 17" (Sceptre 21" 1080p died) 
PowerCaseMouse Pad
Ultra 550W oldschool MGE case what mouse pad? 
  hide details  
Reply
Ever Evolving
(18 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 1090T Black Edition Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Diamond R9 280X Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB VLP DDR3 1600 CL9 ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Vertex 3 120GB SSD  2x WD 1TB Caviar Black SATA3 WD Caviar Black 640GB SATA2 HP DVD-RW 1170i 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Prolimatech Megahalem 2x Delta AFB1212SHE  7x Cooler Master SickleFlow R4 fans Windows 7 Professional 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
2x Samsung SyncMaster E2420 23.6" 1920x1080 Logitech G15 Corsair HX1000W Cooler Master HAF932 (Fan Mod) 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G400 Generic 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
3.0GHz P4 w/HT Asus P5GDC-V deluxe ATI HD 3450 2GB DDR400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1x WD 360GB 1x WD 120GB 3xDead LiteOn DVDROM LiteON DVDRW XP SP3 x86 AG Neovo 17" (Sceptre 21" 1080p died) 
PowerCaseMouse Pad
Ultra 550W oldschool MGE case what mouse pad? 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [ZDnet] Apple malware on the rise per Applecare Support