Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › URGENT: Where to earth in a fully painted case!?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

URGENT: Where to earth in a fully painted case!?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Hey all,

I'm about to start my build and i have to idea where to earth myself!

I have the fully painted HAF 912 Advanced case, and i have been told you just lean on it, or connect yourself to it with a Anti-static bracelet (which i have) with the PSU pluged into the wall and switched off...
But how will i make contact if it is fully painted?

I was wondering if i would be fine to just work on the computer whilst being barefoot on the tiled floor (concrete underneath and then earth). Would this be an acceptable earth to not Brick my components?

Cheers,

Ishi
post #2 of 39
Earth... you mean ground. I've built many computers and I have never used an anti-static bracelet. Just touch a part of the bare metal computer frame and it will discharge any static build up you might have.
Circuit Breaker
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 4.7ghz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 GTX 480 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60gb SSD Encom OS 12 Seasonic X650 Thermaltake Spedo Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
Circuit Breaker
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k 4.7ghz Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 GTX 480 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
G.Skill Phoenix Pro 60gb SSD Encom OS 12 Seasonic X650 Thermaltake Spedo Advanced 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzM View Post
Earth... you mean ground. I've built many computers and I have never used an anti-static bracelet. Just touch a part of the bare metal computer frame and it will discharge any static build up you might have.
this
post #4 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzM View Post
Earth... you mean ground. I've built many computers and I have never used an anti-static bracelet. Just touch a part of the bare metal computer frame and it will discharge any static build up you might have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishinomori View Post
Hey all,

I'm about to start my build and i have to idea where to earth myself!

I have the fully painted HAF 912 Advanced case, and i have been told you just lean on it, or connect yourself to it with a Anti-static bracelet (which i have) with the PSU pluged into the wall and switched off...
But how will i make contact if it is fully painted?

I was wondering if i would be fine to just work on the computer whilst being barefoot on the tiled floor (concrete underneath and then earth). Would this be an acceptable earth to not Brick my components?

Cheers,

Ishi
And again?
post #5 of 39
A copper water pipe or any big metal thing will do the trick.
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishinomori View Post
And again?
You telling me you dont have any piece of metal anywhere in the house?


You seem to be acting like the computer is going to blow up. If you have an anti-static bracelet, like you claim, then just work on the computer..
Edited by Murlocke - 5/19/11 at 11:15pm
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
The Leviathan
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M7 12GB NVIDIA Titan X (Pascal) 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V (DDR4 3200) 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
2x 1TB Samsung 960 PRO 193TB unRAID Server 3x 140mm Noctua NF-A14 Noctua NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro x64 65" LG 65E6P (4K OLED) Ducky DK9008 Shine 3  Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Corsair Obsidian 750D Logitech G502 Proteus Sprectrum Denon X7200WA (Receiver) 2x Klipsch RF-7 (Front Speakers) 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
4x Klipsch RS-62 (Surround Speakers) Klipsch RC-64 (Center Speaker) 4x Klipsch CDT-5800-C II (Atmos Speakers) 2x SVS PB16-Ultra (Subwoofers) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancor View Post
A copper water pipe or any big metal thing will do the trick.
no chance with just working barefoot on tiles?
post #8 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlocke View Post
You telling me you dont have any piece of metal anywhere in the house?
Im sure i could find something
post #9 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishinomori View Post
Im sure i could find something
Definitely do that, no sense in risking your parts
i7-970 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-970 Asus Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 470 - 9800GT G.Skill Ripjaw 12gb 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb Windows 7 Corsair AX1200 HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
i7-970 Build
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-970 Asus Rampage III Extreme 2x EVGA GTX 470 - 9800GT G.Skill Ripjaw 12gb 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
OCZ Vertex 2 60gb Windows 7 Corsair AX1200 HAF 932 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_brandon View Post
Definitely do that, no sense in risking your parts
Just not sure i would look professional (im not totally sure why it matters) but picturing myself working on my comp with a wristband connected to a Cooking Pot is mirth-worthy!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Computer Cases
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Computer Cases › URGENT: Where to earth in a fully painted case!?