Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SSD on SATA 3?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SSD on SATA 3? - Page 2

post #11 of 16
It'll be slower
and you'll have to wait for the Marvell post screen
and you won't have "trim" support
Blue & Gold X79
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4930K  Asus X79-DELUXE  EVGA GTX 980 ti SC ACX 2.0 G.SKILL RipjawZ Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex4 128GB (OS) WD RE4 2x500GB RAID0 WD Caviar Black 2TB OCZ Vector 180 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vector180 480GB 480GB OCZ Vector 180 series OCZ Vector 180 480GB Lite-on DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blue Ray Burner Cooler Master TPC 812  Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Asus PB278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX1000 HAF932 Blue (custom paint) Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Staples 
  hide details  
Reply
Blue & Gold X79
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-4930K  Asus X79-DELUXE  EVGA GTX 980 ti SC ACX 2.0 G.SKILL RipjawZ Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex4 128GB (OS) WD RE4 2x500GB RAID0 WD Caviar Black 2TB OCZ Vector 180 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Vector180 480GB 480GB OCZ Vector 180 series OCZ Vector 180 480GB Lite-on DVD Burner 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blue Ray Burner Cooler Master TPC 812  Microsoft Windows 10 x64 Asus PB278Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair HX1000 HAF932 Blue (custom paint) Logitech G500 
Mouse Pad
Staples 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 16
Thread Starter 
SSD on ICH10R of course because of ACHI that is certain.
Trim has nothing to do with the SATA Controller rather than with Windows 7 and RST drivers.


But what about the 2xHDD´s and Blueray, DVD,Burner?
Where should I place them for optimal performance and speed of the SSD and themselves?
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
SSD on ICH10R of course because of ACHI that is certain.
Trim has nothing to do with the SATA Controller rather than with Windows 7 and RST drivers.


But what about the 2xHDD´s and Blueray, DVD,Burner?
Where should I place them for optimal performance and speed of the SSD and themselves?
1. It is AHCI, not ACHI
2. TRIM has everything to do with the controller. Marvell controller = no trim. Intel controller = yes trim.
3. Intel and Marvell controllers is not the same thing
4. Everything else connect to Intel ports as well

Edit: I just noticed you are confusing the specs on your board. You have 2 types of controllers:
Intel: 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors
Marvell 9182: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors

In short, connect everything you have to Intel ports. You can even disable Marvell in BIOS to save 1-2 extra seconds on boot time.
Edited by XSCounter - 5/22/11 at 8:41am
post #14 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSCounter View Post
1. It is AHCI, not ACHI
2. TRIM has everything to do with the controller. Marvell controller = no trim. Intel controller = yes trim.
3. Intel and Marvell controllers is not the same thing
4. Everything else connect to Intel ports as well

Edit: I just noticed you are confusing the specs on your board. You have 2 types of controllers:
Intel: 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors
Marvell 9182: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors

In short, connect everything you have to Intel ports. You can even disable Marvell in BIOS to save 1-2 extra seconds on boot time.
I am not confusing anything.

Of course if you want trim your SSD needs to be on the Intel Controller but the decisive thing is Windows 7!
No Windows 7 no Trim!

The Intel Controller ICH10R is built by Marvel
And the 2x6 GBit is a JMB Micron.

Putting everything on the Intel Controller will reduce performance of the SSD dramatically.
Ideally the SSD should be alone on the Intel Controller ..at least so I have heard.
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
Project Rapture
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 950 @ 4.7 GHZ Gigabyte X58-OC MSI GTX 580 Lightning @ 1GHZ 12 GB Kingston Hyper X @ 2200 MHZ 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
SSD Corsair F40 DVD,DVR,Blue Ray Windows 7 Ultimae 64 bit Sony Bravia Full HD 42" 
PowerCaseMouse
Revolution +85 1050 Watt Little Devil V8 White Crysis Edition Microsoft 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 16
Check my mobo, I have 2x 1tb drives, with 64mb cache each, sata 3, (6.0). They can transfer between each other alot faster, for spin drives, I haven't tested "actual" results, but i've also noticed, from sata 3.0 (6) to sata 2.0 (3), the sata 2 actually fly's at its best possible burst speed constant, But... 2 to 2, occasionally lags on my build. But I have to do some hdd maintenence though.. lol..

- Le_Loup
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i5, 4670k, 4.2ghz MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING (MS-7845) MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 760 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
4x 4gb Corsair 1600 C9, XMP 1.2 2x1tb (sata6, Raid 0), 2x 1tb data drives, 4x 2... Sata: DVD DL Burner w/lite scribe corsair h100i w/2x120mm rad internal. 1x 120 re... 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 3x 24" RL2455HM BenQ Logitech G15 Keyboard (Original with G1-G18 but... TR2 RX 1200W ThermalTake 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec P280 Black With Window/Side Panel Razer Naga Hex Shaw @ Home Mouse Pad Xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Pow View Post
I am not confusing anything.

Of course if you want trim your SSD needs to be on the Intel Controller but the decisive thing is Windows 7!
No Windows 7 no Trim!

The Intel Controller ICH10R is built by Marvel
And the 2x6 GBit is a JMB Micron.

Putting everything on the Intel Controller will reduce performance of the SSD dramatically.
Ideally the SSD should be alone on the Intel Controller ..at least so I have heard.
I don't know where you get your info about controllers and who builds them. I was quoting Gigabyte website: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=3870#sp

Where I can clearly see that "2 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors" belong to Marvell. And logically, since the other 6 are on Intel board, and being native SATA connectors, made by Intel as well.

Don't know why would you get reduced speed for SSD. As long as you connect it to Port 0, you should be fine imo.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › SSD on SATA 3?