Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Silver Arrow, adding a 3rd fan worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Silver Arrow, adding a 3rd fan worth it? - Page 2

post #11 of 30
Getting two 120mm X 38mm fans to replace the two TY-140s would be your best bet.
post #12 of 30
You wont hit 5ghz with that cpu 24/7 stable unless you have temps in the negatives.

Wait for bulldozer.
post #13 of 30
When I get around to it, I'm gonna stick an Ultra Kaze 3000 on the front of the Silver Arrow and move the TY-140 to the rear (leaving the TY-140 in the centre) I'm not expecting a huge improvement but what the hell. Worth a try (plus I'd rather 14 fans all up instead of 13)
post #14 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by konspiracy View Post
You wont hit 5ghz with that cpu 24/7 stable unless you have temps in the negatives.
This, I highly doubt a third fan will help get you to 5GHz.
R.I.P amder
(11 items)
 
G3258
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 EVGA GTX 1070  Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston UV400 480Gb Kingston V300 240GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Home 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
BenQ XL2420TE  Corsair HX650 Fractal Design Define S 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
G3258 MSI H81M-P33 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600 500GB WD HDD 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Cooler Master 500watt High Speed PC Tech Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
R.I.P amder
(11 items)
 
G3258
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 EVGA GTX 1070  Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston UV400 480Gb Kingston V300 240GB Corsair H105 Windows 10 Home 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
BenQ XL2420TE  Corsair HX650 Fractal Design Define S 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
G3258 MSI H81M-P33 4GB Corsair XMS3 1600 500GB WD HDD 
OSPowerCase
Windows 8.1 Cooler Master 500watt High Speed PC Tech Bench 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 30
The cheapest way to improve your temps is to get three Ultra Kaze 3000's and put them in your heatsink. Yes, the third fan will improve cooling only 2c (it is a UK3K, after all), but it will improve cooling.

But this is important: you can't add this or any other third fan if you leave your rear exhaust fan there. If you really want great cooling you must remove the rear grill and the rear fan. The pull fan on the back of the SA will exhaust your case for you by entraining case air. Check out item 2 in my sig for an example.

Do that and you'll max out your cooling. Of course it would only be temporary: who wants to listen to three UK3K's all the time?
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
alpha updated
(19 items)
 
secundus
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790k Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming-7 Intel HD4600 Crucial Ballistix Sport Very Low Profile 8GB Ki... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO 500GB Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C Windows 8.1 Home Premium 64-bit Acer K242HL 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Dell SK-8110 (PS/2) Seasonic X460 Fanless motherboard tray from CM ATCS 840 Logitech MX 1100 
Mouse PadAudio
Dell Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi MB3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 Gigabyte GA P55M UD2 ZOTAC/NVidia GTX 650 Ti 2GB 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 CAS9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F3 7200.12 Plextor 24x DVD burner Cooler Master Hyper Z600R Win7 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell E207WFP 20-inch flat panel Logitech Wireless 510 Seasonic X-650 fully modular 80+ Gold Lian Li PC-7FN 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Wireless Mouse WACOM Intuos 3 generic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehume View Post
The cheapest way to improve your temps is to get three Ultra Kaze 3000's and put them in your heatsink. Yes, the third fan will improve cooling only 2c (it is a UK3K, after all), but it will improve cooling.

But this is important: you can't add this or any other third fan if you leave your rear exhaust fan there. If you really want great cooling you must remove the rear grill and the rear fan. The pull fan on the back of the SA will exhaust your case for you by entraining case air. Check out item 2 in my sig for an example.

Do that and you'll max out your cooling. Of course it would only be temporary: who wants to listen to three UK3K's all the time?
I have 3 running at full speed in my case and they aren't as loud as people think (unless I have bad hearing..lol)
post #17 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I have 3 running at full speed in my case and they aren't as loud as people think (unless I have bad hearing..lol)
You have a high threshold level for obnoxious noise.
post #18 of 30
5GHz 24/7 stable=not possible
if you have seen some screenshots I would assume you have seen validation screenshots->boot to win, quick screenshot and that's it
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k@4500Mhz asus sabertooth p67 rev 3.0 asus 570 directCU II 8GB DDR3 G skill sniper series 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
samsung 1TB, WD 640 green win 7 64bit samsung xl2370 seasonic x650 gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Raven 2 evolution Cyborg R.A.T 5 Roccat TAITO 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k@4500Mhz asus sabertooth p67 rev 3.0 asus 570 directCU II 8GB DDR3 G skill sniper series 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
samsung 1TB, WD 640 green win 7 64bit samsung xl2370 seasonic x650 gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Raven 2 evolution Cyborg R.A.T 5 Roccat TAITO 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 30
I just tried to replace one of the TY-140s with a UK 3000 but I backed off. I would have had to bend the clips and didn't want to risk it (I have a 3rd set coming)
Any ideas on how to do this (apart from bending the clips)?
post #20 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw33k View Post
I just tried to replace one of the TY-140s with a UK 3000 but I backed off. I would have had to bend the clips and didn't want to risk it (I have a 3rd set coming)
Any ideas on how to do this (apart from bending the clips)?
Zip ties.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Silver Arrow, adding a 3rd fan worth it?