Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › AMD Small-Scale Server Build Suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

AMD Small-Scale Server Build Suggestions

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
Hey,

I recently set up a company after quitting my job and I thought about building a server PC to host my own website - just to promote it, I probably wont receive too much traffic so I'm kind of looking at low-end systems. I've got quite a hefty amount of cash due to the compensation I received from my previous job, so I would prefer to set up my own server rather than pay monthly from hosting websites.
Anyway I've thought of this build - not sure if it will work too well (I'm kind of new to this)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 270u
Mobo: ASUS M4A88T-I
RAM: Any Generic SODIMM 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM (2x1Gb)
Case and Power Supply: Thermaltake ELEMENT Q/220W
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb x2/WD Caviar Green 1Tb x2 in RAID0
OS: I'm not entirely sure.. Maybe Ubuntu Linux?
As you can see from the build above, I'd like it to use the least amount of power as possible.
Are there any changes that I could make to that build? I really wouldn't like to step into a CPU with a TDP of more than 45W
Edited by Mannerheim - 5/21/11 at 7:22am
post #2 of 11
server edition of linux for the OS or if you can get a good deal, windows 7 server.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Sempron LE-1300 Radeon x1200 4Gb DDR2 160GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 15.6 HD LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Sempron LE-1300 Radeon x1200 4Gb DDR2 160GB 
OSMonitor
Windows 7 Ultimate 15.6 HD LCD 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
I heard the Windows Server 2008 R2 requires a server motherboard to function, so am I able to use it or do I just have to stick with Linux?
post #4 of 11
no, you can sue widows server on any motherboard setup. it just benefits more from a server board because of read/write speeds and the raid setups. but if your looking for low costs and u know how to use Linux, Linux server is the way to go, its very lightweight, its freeware and its maintained. and naturally will use less memory because its Linux. so you win all around. this is just my opinion=)
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin88 View Post
no, you can sue widows server on any motherboard setup. it just benefits more from a server board because of read/write speeds and the raid setups. but if your looking for low costs and u know how to use Linux, Linux server is the way to go, its very lightweight, its freeware and its maintained. and naturally will use less memory because its Linux. so you win all around. this is just my opinion=)
What improved "read/write speeds" and "RAID setups" does a "server board" offer...?

Take any half-decent motherboard with enough PCI-e lanes and throw in a mid- to high-end RAID card to achieve high-performance.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
Hey,

I recently set up a company after quitting my job and I thought about building a server PC to host my own website - just to promote it, I probably wont receive too much traffic so I'm kind of looking at low-end systems. I've got quite a hefty amount of cash due to the compensation I received from my previous job, so I would prefer to set up my own server rather than pay monthly from hosting websites.
Anyway I've thought of this build - not sure if it will work too well (I'm kind of new to this)
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 270u
Mobo: ASUS M4A88T-I
RAM: Any Generic SODIMM 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM (2x1Gb)
Case and Power Supply: Thermaltake ELEMENT Q/220W
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1Tb x2/WD Caviar Green 1Tb x2 in RAID0
OS: I'm not entirely sure.. Maybe Ubuntu Linux?
As you can see from the build above, I'd like it to use the least amount of power as possible.
Are there any changes that I could make to that build? I really wouldn't like to step into a CPU with a TDP of more than 45W
Never EVER run RAID-0 on a production server - that is disk-striping with zero redundancy.

Not to mention that pairing Green drives with RAID-0 is not the best combination.

If this is going to be your only server for your business, you should consider investing in Enterprise-level SATA drives in at least a RAID-1 (mirror) configuration. You should also have an appropriate backup method that guards against data corruption. RAID setups only protect against hardware failure. I would suggest Western Digital RAID-Edition or Seagate Constellation-series Enterprise level drives. If you have a very good backup methodology though, you can get away with standard desktop drives. Of course, you should also test your backup methodology to make sure it works....

The CPU TDP value is only really valid if the server is going to be constantly under max load. 45W TDP is max power consumption. With the roles of your server in mind, yours is not likely going to be averaging more than 25% usage. You can also look at Energy-Efficient AMD Athlon II X2 processor options that have a max TDP of 25W.
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 11
Debian/Ubuntu, Slackware, Fedora, SUSE, etc. for OS

Components I'd say you're probably good with what you have listed if you're not looking at too much traffic. I don't think you can go wrong with a $50 mobo TBH: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813130559 probably better idea to get that over the other $90-100 mobo if you're looking at an ultra budget build.

I'd still say that it might be more beneficial to rent servertime from a data centre though just because you don't have to worry about too many things, just pay them on time and administrate the server from home.

Also as for the HDD's why would you put Green drives in RAID-0? Why not just get a 7200 RPM drive? Also, RAID-5 might be a better idea.
GISX-R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS P6TD Deluxe XFX HD6870 1GB Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB LG 24X SATA DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
620W Antec High Current Gamer Lian Li K58W MS OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
GISX-R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS P6TD Deluxe XFX HD6870 1GB Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB LG 24X SATA DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
620W Antec High Current Gamer Lian Li K58W MS OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComGuards View Post
What improved "read/write speeds" and "RAID setups" does a "server board" offer...?

Take any half-decent motherboard with enough PCI-e lanes and throw in a mid- to high-end RAID card to achieve high-performance.




Never EVER run RAID-0 on a production server - that is disk-striping with zero redundancy.

Not to mention that pairing Green drives with RAID-0 is not the best combination.

If this is going to be your only server for your business, you should consider investing in Enterprise-level SATA drives in at least a RAID-1 (mirror) configuration. You should also have an appropriate backup method that guards against data corruption. RAID setups only protect against hardware failure. I would suggest Western Digital RAID-Edition or Seagate Constellation-series Enterprise level drives. If you have a very good backup methodology though, you can get away with standard desktop drives. Of course, you should also test your backup methodology to make sure it works....

The CPU TDP value is only really valid if the server is going to be constantly under max load. 45W TDP is max power consumption. With the roles of your server in mind, yours is not likely going to be averaging more than 25% usage. You can also look at Energy-Efficient AMD Athlon II X2 processor options that have a max TDP of 25W.
sorry Com, but this was crammed in my head when i went to ITT tech. everthign else i as taught was proper. but i had to question them a few times. this is why i said this. i apologize nothing worse than feeling stupid on forums.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin88 View Post
sorry Com, but this was crammed in my head when i went to ITT tech. everthign else i as taught was proper. but i had to question them a few times. this is why i said this. i apologize nothing worse than feeling stupid on forums.
No worries - this is why you ask questions. The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask!
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
ESXi Host 1
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
(2x) Intel Xeon E5520 Dell OnBoard Matrox G200 24GB DDR3 12x2GB UDIMMS (18 slots total) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
PERC6-RAID50 Intel 730 480GB Intel 320 300GB Synology DS414 iSCSI SAN 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
VMWare vSphere5 Enterprise Plus Dell iDRAC6 Remote Management [KVM-Over-IP] Dell iDRAC6 KVM Dell Hot-Swap Redundant 1100W 
CaseMouse
Dell PowerEdge T710 Stock Dell iDRAC6 KVM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
starting to think the 80k i spent on school wasn't worth it...
post #10 of 11
@OP: I honestly read your name as "Mannheim" for a second (it's a city in Germany, and I was there during Christmas).
GISX-R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS P6TD Deluxe XFX HD6870 1GB Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB LG 24X SATA DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
620W Antec High Current Gamer Lian Li K58W MS OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
GISX-R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS P6TD Deluxe XFX HD6870 1GB Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB LG 24X SATA DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
620W Antec High Current Gamer Lian Li K58W MS OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › AMD Small-Scale Server Build Suggestions