Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Air Cooling Revamp: Rosewill Challenger Case
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Air Cooling Revamp: Rosewill Challenger Case

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hi everyone, I'm thinking about revamping the airflow in my case, as the fans that came with it and the extra ones that I have aren't doing me much good.

I was thinking about going with a whole bunch of Scythe Gentle Typhoons set up to a fan controller. I'm not sure which version of either of these I should get; I'm not sure how fan controllers work but I assume that I should go ahead and grab 5400 RPM Gentle Typhoons because I can lower the RPMs if need be (Correct me if I'm wrong about that)? Was thinking about THIS controller and THESE fans.

I'm going to also upgrade my Stock CPU cooler to something a little more presentable. I was thinking about the SCYTHE MUGEN 2 with a push-pull setup with Gentle Typhoons.

The last thing is that I'm not sure how to set up side fans. I have two 120mm fan slots, should they both be exhaust, intake, or go in different ways? I think I understand how the rest of the case should flow, but I'm unsure about the side fans.

Below is a diagram of what I'm thinking about doing, let me know if you have any suggestions. smile.gif It might be a little while before I'm actually able to do this so if you have anything to say, let me know. Thank you!

nguC6.png

EDIT: One more thing I forgot. My top fan is 140mm and not 120mm. I'm not sure if it fits a 120mm fan instead, but if I find out that it doesn't, could someone suggest a nice 140mm fan? Thanks!
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Looks good to me however I would switch the rear fan to exhaust and try to get a 120/140mm in the 5.25 bays if possible unless your taking them all up. Fan controller doesn't go all the way back in the bays so should work fine can intake air from 2 bays and have other for controller and optical drive. The Mugen 2 is a big cooler wondering if it will fit 2 fans at the top as you have on the diagram. If not I say switch it around to have them going out the rear and can still run a fan on top.
Edited by Rick Arter - 5/21/11 at 5:26pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 3.6GHz 1.152v Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB 8GB G. Skill DDR3-1333 CL9 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB SATA3 + 4TB Storage External USB Thermalright Archon Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 27 inch LED 1920x1080 HD Logitech K120 Seasonic X-760 Modular Fractal Define R4 
MouseAudio
Logitech Altec Lansing 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 3.6GHz 1.152v Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4GB 8GB G. Skill DDR3-1333 CL9 1.5v 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 1TB SATA3 + 4TB Storage External USB Thermalright Archon Win 7 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 27 inch LED 1920x1080 HD Logitech K120 Seasonic X-760 Modular Fractal Define R4 
MouseAudio
Logitech Altec Lansing 2.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Arter;13589158 
Looks good to me however I would switch the rear fan to exhaust and try to get a 120/140mm in the 5.25 bays if possible unless your taking them all up. Fan controller doesn't go all the way back in the bays so should work fine can intake air from 2 bays and have other for controller and optical drive. The Mugen 2 is a big cooler wondering if it will fit 2 fans at the top as you have on the diagram.

Thanks for the quick response. My rear fan is actually exhaust right now, I heard somewhere that this setup was better but there wasn't a reason behind it, so I don't know why. tongue.gif I'm going to have to measure out the Mugen 2 and see what's going to fit and what won't. I was thinking I might not have room for one of the side fans either. I'll definitely have to install fans into my 5.25 Drive Bays. I don't know why I didn't think of that. +1
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Lets see here..

Where is your case going to be? Will it be somewhat enclosed or will it be just chilling on your desk behind your monitor?

I highly recommend rotating your future CPU cooler 90° so that it collects air from the 5.25" drive bays and exhausts out the back. If you run it vertically as shown, you'll be choking the intake a little bit with the video card. Plus the video card will be hot, so you don't want to actually force your CPU air by the video card first.

Keep the top fan as an exhaust (140mm rifle bearing or ball bearing fan is all you need), and switch the rear fan to be an exhaust as well. This is especially important if your case is enclosed in a cabinet or under your desk. With all the exhaust from your video card and top of the case, that enclosure gets really hot, and you don't want air intaking from the backside in that environment.

I'm not familiar with that case, but if you want more intake fans, you can mount an intake fan in place of 3x 5.25" bays on the front. This is also great if you're using the horizontal CPU cooler configuration.

Lastly, the 5400RPM fans are way overkill. Yes, you can turn them down some with the fan controller, but know that a fan controller is not going to let you turn it down to 1000RPM. The fan still needs 5-7V to start up, and at that voltage, it is probably running around 2500RPM, which is fast and LOUD. The fan controller you selected is damn good though. I love my Sunbeam fan controller.
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxyll;13589204 
Lets see here..

Where is your case going to be? Will it be somewhat enclosed or will it be just chilling on your desk behind your monitor?

I highly recommend rotating your future CPU cooler 90° so that it collects air from the 5.25" drive bays and exhausts out the back. If you run it vertically as shown, you'll be choking the intake a little bit with the video card. Plus the video card will be hot, so you don't want to actually force your CPU air by the video card first.

Keep the top fan as an exhaust (140mm rifle bearing or ball bearing fan is all you need), and switch the rear fan to be an exhaust as well. This is especially important if your case is enclosed in a cabinet or under your desk. With all the exhaust from your video card and top of the case, that enclosure gets really hot, and you don't want air intaking from the backside in that environment.

I'm not familiar with that case, but if you want more intake fans, you can mount an intake fan in place of 3x 5.25" bays on the front. This is also great if you're using the horizontal CPU cooler configuration.

Lastly, the 5400RPM fans are way overkill. Yes, you can turn them down some with the fan controller, but know that a fan controller is not going to let you turn it down to 1000RPM. The fan still needs 5-7V to start up, and at that voltage, it is probably running around 2500RPM, which is fast and LOUD. The fan controller you selected is damn good though. I love my Sunbeam fan controller.

Wow, an enormous amount of advice. Thank you! What rpm GTs do you think I should purchase? The reason I thought of those fans is because there's a minimal difference in price between the higher RPM ones and the lower ones. would 1850 suffice?

EDIT: My PC will be next to my desk, not enclosed. Didn't answer the first question of the whole damn post. Sorry. tongue.gif
Edited by 5outh - 5/21/11 at 5:42pm
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5outh;13589247 
Wow, an enormous amount of advice. Thank you! What rpm GTs do you think I should purchase? The reason I thought of those fans is because there's a minimal difference in price between the higher RPM ones and the lower ones. would 1850 suffice?

EDIT: My PC will be next to my desk, not enclosed. Didn't answer the first question of the whole damn post. Sorry. tongue.gif

I think the 1850s are superb CPU/radiator fans, but they still might be a little overkill for case fans. If they're the same price as the 1450RPM fans, might as well get the 1850s, but otherwise I'd probably go with the 1450 ones. You won't need more than 1000RPM most of the time anyway. Honestly you could very easily use cheapo Lian Li case 1300RPM case fans for your system and be more than fine.

Remember though... make sure whatever fan you choose for the top fan (horizontal position) is a rifle sleeve bearing or some variant of the ball bearing. If it's a regular sleeve bearing fan, it will not only make more noise but will die out 10x faster.

Since your PC is on your desk, you aren't going to run into as many heat issues, so you can definitely suffice with lower RPM case fans. thumb.gif
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Monster
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k ASUS Rampage IV Extreme EVGA GTX Titan SC 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X CL8 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
256GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Crucial C300 SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 1TB Samsung F3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
6TB External RAID 0 EK Block, XSPC 3x120mm Radiator Windows 8 64-bit 34" LG 34UC87C-B 21:9 IPS LED Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" ASUS VG278H Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Corsair AX750 Cooler Master HAF 932 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 9HD Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Samson C01U Condenser Microphone 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyxyll;13589435 
I think the 1850s are superb CPU/radiator fans, but they still might be a little overkill for case fans. If they're the same price as the 1450RPM fans, might as well get the 1850s, but otherwise I'd probably go with the 1450 ones. You won't need more than 1000RPM most of the time anyway. Honestly you could very easily use cheapo Lian Li case 1300RPM case fans for your system and be more than fine.

Remember though... make sure whatever fan you choose for the top fan (horizontal position) is a rifle sleeve bearing or some variant of the ball bearing. If it's a regular sleeve bearing fan, it will not only make more noise but will die out 10x faster.

Since your PC is on your desk, you aren't going to run into as many heat issues, so you can definitely suffice with lower RPM case fans. thumb.gif

Do you have any specific 140mm fan suggestions? And 1450 RPM Gentle Typhoons run a good $5 cheaper than 1850s, but they're not usually in stock (at FrozenCPU that is), so I'll keep an eye on the page and grab some when they come in. Thanks. smile.gif
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
Wings
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 2600k Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H MSI N560-GTX-Ti-Hawk Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
Samsung F4 Corsair H100 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Corsair AX850 
Case
Corsair Obsidian 650D 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Air Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Air Cooling › Air Cooling Revamp: Rosewill Challenger Case