Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel? - Page 3

post #21 of 88
it's because amd it less desired, lower speed, cheaper price, also the price drops every couple of months or so, so when you go to resell you hardly get anything back, go with amd if you ain't going to sell ur system in the future, because it will be worth peanuts when you go to sell
ReD MiSt
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k 4.8 24/7 Asus Impact VIII / Swiftech Apogee XL SeaHawk EK X 1080 Ti G Skill Trident Z 4000mhz C18 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
INTEL 750 400GB U.2 SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB EK D5 PWM Acer X34A 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Cyborg S.T.R.I.K.E 7 EVGA 750 G2 In-Win D-Frame Mini Meridian Explorer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k 4.6ghz ASUS Z170-E MSI GTX 1070 TwinFrozr G SKILL RIPJAWZ 3200mhz 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
240gb OCZ SSD Swiftech H220 Asus VG278HV 144hz 1080p RM850 
Case
Fractal Design R4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.23v L419B655 HERO 7 GTX 780 Ti Matrix / Acetal Nickel GTX 780 Ti Matrix / Acetal Nickel 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveMonitor
16GB XTREEM LV 2600Mhz C10 4 x 4GB 840 PRO 256GB Samsung 1TB F3 Asus ROG swift PG278Q 27'' 144Hz 
PowerCaseAudio
CORSAIR AX1200i Corsair 760T BLACK Meridian Explorer 
  hide details  
Reply
ReD MiSt
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700k 4.8 24/7 Asus Impact VIII / Swiftech Apogee XL SeaHawk EK X 1080 Ti G Skill Trident Z 4000mhz C18 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
INTEL 750 400GB U.2 SanDisk Extreme Pro 960GB EK D5 PWM Acer X34A 
KeyboardPowerCaseAudio
Cyborg S.T.R.I.K.E 7 EVGA 750 G2 In-Win D-Frame Mini Meridian Explorer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6600k 4.6ghz ASUS Z170-E MSI GTX 1070 TwinFrozr G SKILL RIPJAWZ 3200mhz 8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
240gb OCZ SSD Swiftech H220 Asus VG278HV 144hz 1080p RM850 
Case
Fractal Design R4 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.23v L419B655 HERO 7 GTX 780 Ti Matrix / Acetal Nickel GTX 780 Ti Matrix / Acetal Nickel 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveMonitor
16GB XTREEM LV 2600Mhz C10 4 x 4GB 840 PRO 256GB Samsung 1TB F3 Asus ROG swift PG278Q 27'' 144Hz 
PowerCaseAudio
CORSAIR AX1200i Corsair 760T BLACK Meridian Explorer 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Yeah, no. I don't know what trying to bring up. AMD's chips were faster than Intel's during the Athlon 64/Pentium 4 era and very competitively priced. AMD made some $1000 FX chips, but those were MUCH faster than Intel's $1000 Extreme Edition chips.

Please try again.
Exactly. People seem to forget this.
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Moar cores!
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 8320 @ 4.0Ghz/4.2Ghz turbo gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 Gigabyte Nvida GTX 770OC 2GB/ Gigabyte 970 G1 G... Gskill Sniper 1866Mhz 8GB (4GB x 2) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB WD Black 1TB Asus 24X CM Hyper 212Evo 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home X64 HP 22BW 21.5" LED-IPS CM Storm Trigger/MX Brown Corsair TX 650V2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
CM HAF922 Logitech G500S Steelseries QCK Mini Asus Xonar DX 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Yeah, no. I don't know what trying to bring up. AMD's chips were faster than Intel's during the Athlon 64/Pentium 4 era and very competitively priced. AMD made some $1000 FX chips, but those were MUCH faster than Intel's $1000 Extreme Edition chips.

Please try again.
that $1000 chips have more advertisement meaning rather than real product, focus on main stream product pls.
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by landyzhu View Post
when looked back K8, you will notice all of AMD price is only a marketing strategy, when faster, the price is higher, when slower, more cores and dislocation competitive price policy, and I will bet if bulldozer can really be competitive with SNB, you will not get cheap AMD any more.
I don't know about that.

The OEM/pre built market is pretty lucrative. The Llano and Bobcat will cover that (although I think there might be a bit of product cannibalization there). BD I'm not sure what to say but we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

They'd probably still have to compete on price even if they have a better product. Remember the Athlon64 days? They had a better product then but Intel was still beating them in market share and computer penetration. So much that Intel has become a household name and people will buy Intel over AMD because "it's Intel so must be good". It was basically one of those "get them while they're young" things.

I honestly know people who will not buy AMD because "it's slow" (admittedly yes it is now, but it wasn't back in the A64 and Intel anti competitive tactic days), when what they even do doesn't require an i5-750 (or better).

Case in point, my dad (last year) could have gotten an Athlon II 6xx system for like a quarter of the price he paid for his 1156 i7-860 (and I think he got a 5770 in there as well for whatever reason). Now what does he do on this new system? Taxes, Outlook, Adobe Reader, Word, Excel, CAD. Admittedly CAD is somewhat computationally intensive but I can run CAD on the old Pentium4 system in the house and when I was in school IIRC we were using C2D E4xxx and integrated graphics to manipulate and create CAD drawings. He can do what he wants with his own money, he works hard for it so should enjoy it but he could have bought something better (from a price/performance perspective) and totally could have taken the old 7600 (and have gotten me to softmod it into a Quadro FX560).
Edited by Amor - 5/22/11 at 1:25am
GISX-R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS P6TD Deluxe XFX HD6870 1GB Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB LG 24X SATA DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
620W Antec High Current Gamer Lian Li K58W MS OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
GISX-R
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 ASUS P6TD Deluxe XFX HD6870 1GB Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 (9-9-9-24) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSKeyboard
Crucial M4 64GB LG 24X SATA DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Logitech G15 
PowerCaseMouse
620W Antec High Current Gamer Lian Li K58W MS OEM 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by landyzhu View Post
that $1000 chips have more advertisement meaning rather than real product, focus on main stream product pls.
Which is why I mentioned the Athlon 64 and Pentium 4. Stop trying to drive attention away from the main topic. The point is, even when AMD was faster, they were pricing their chips very competitively.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 88
Im simply agreeing with that if BD is able to compete with/beat SB then you won't be seeing the massive price gap there is between AMD and intel at the moment. I can get a 1100T for $229 here or a 2600K for $325. I don't know prices around the rest of the world but that's how it stands for me.

Hell when the phenom II 940 arrived here it was $500.
Frank
(13 items)
 
Dominatrix
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770K Asus Maxiums VI Extreme Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 16gb G.Skill Trident X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256gb 850 Pro 2Tb WB Black Corsair H100i GTX Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC U3477PQU Leopold Cherry Browns  EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2 Fractal Design Define R5 
Audio
Asus Xonar D2X  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 4370 Maximus VII Impact Asus 960 Strix 4gb Vengeance Pro 2400 2x8Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Samsung 128gb 830 3 x WD Red 3Tb Windows 8.1 x64 Corsair RM550 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
Frank
(13 items)
 
Dominatrix
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 4770K Asus Maxiums VI Extreme Gigabyte G1 Gaming 1080 16gb G.Skill Trident X 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256gb 850 Pro 2Tb WB Black Corsair H100i GTX Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC U3477PQU Leopold Cherry Browns  EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2 Fractal Design Define R5 
Audio
Asus Xonar D2X  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 4370 Maximus VII Impact Asus 960 Strix 4gb Vengeance Pro 2400 2x8Gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Samsung 128gb 830 3 x WD Red 3Tb Windows 8.1 x64 Corsair RM550 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 88
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amor View Post
I don't know about that.

The OEM/pre built market is pretty lucrative. The Llano and Bobcat will cover that (although I think there might be a bit of product cannibalization there). BD I'm not sure what to say but we'll see what happens in a few weeks.

They'd probably still have to compete on price even if they have a better product. Remember the Athlon64 days? They had a better product then but Intel was still beating them in market share and computer penetration. So much that Intel has become a household name and people will buy Intel over AMD because "it's Intel so must be good". It was basically one of those "get them while they're young" things.

I honestly know people who will not buy AMD because "it's slow" (admittedly yes it is now, but it wasn't back in the A64 and Intel anti competitive tactic days), when what they even do doesn't require an i5-750 (or better).

Case in point, my dad (last year) could have gotten an Athlon II 6xx system for like a quarter of the price he paid for his 1156 i7-860 (and I think he got a 5770 in there as well for whatever reason). Now what does he do on this new system? Taxes, Outlook, Adobe Reader, Word, Excel, CAD. Admittedly CAD is somewhat computationally intensive but I can run CAD on the old Pentium4 system in the house and when I was in school IIRC we were using C2D E4xxx and integrated graphics to manipulate and create CAD drawings. He can do what he wants with his own money, he works hard for it so should enjoy it but he could have bought something better (from a price/performance perspective) and totally could have taken the old 7600 (and have gotten me to softmod it into a Quadro FX560).
agree, people buy AMD mostly like it high C/P value, but also should not ignore when they're in performance advantage, they're not cheap.
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo2 View Post
Im simply agreeing with that if BD is able to compete with/beat SB then you won't be seeing the massive price gap there is between AMD and intel at the moment. I can get a 1100T for $229 here or a 2600K for $325. I don't know prices around the rest of the world but that's how it stands for me.

Hell when the phenom II 940 arrived here it was $500.
less C/P value if bd's competitive.
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
post #30 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Which is why I mentioned the Athlon 64 and Pentium 4. Stop trying to drive attention away from the main topic. The point is, even when AMD was faster, they were pricing their chips very competitively.
my topic is when AMD's competitive, you will get less C/P value on them.
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel?