Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel? - Page 5

post #41 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
I guess you completely forgot the part where I said Athlon 64. Also, $400 launch price at the time was just fine given how powerful it was.

Also, your use of C/P is even less justified now. C/P could mean cost/performance, but who would think of capability/price? Maybe you should stop making up terms and then expecting people to know what they mean when they've never heard it. Next time you should just use price/performance and avoid any confusion.
yeah, I'm stopping saying AMD's price policy to who never heard it. I'm watching
BD now.
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
2600K
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k Giga P67 UD7 B3 MSI 6950 Unlocked and CF gskill 1600 4gbxh 4x2gb @8-11-8-2133 
Hard DriveMonitorPowerCase
Intel 25-Vx4 RAID0 Samsung P2450H x1, Dell U2311H x2 HXCN 850 LianLi K58 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by landyzhu View Post
yeah, I'm stopping saying AMD's price policy to who never heard it. I'm watching
BD now.
Eh? Anyway, BD should be interesting. I'm not expecting it to have higher IPC than Sandy Bridge, but the fact that it'll come in 8-core flavors should definitely make up for it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 88
Because Intel is much faster than AMD? -.-
Rozpierdalator :D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz HT On 1.27v MSI Eclipse SLI 2x Gainward GTX570 Phantom 1280MB DDR5 in SLI OCZ Reaper 3x1GB 1866MHz @ 1640MHz 7-6-6-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB + 3x HD502HJ + SP2504C Sony Optiarc AD-7260S Windows 7 32bit Hyundai N220Wa+ 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W NZXT Phantom White Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
Rozpierdalator :D
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.2GHz HT On 1.27v MSI Eclipse SLI 2x Gainward GTX570 Phantom 1280MB DDR5 in SLI OCZ Reaper 3x1GB 1866MHz @ 1640MHz 7-6-6-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 2 60GB + 3x HD502HJ + SP2504C Sony Optiarc AD-7260S Windows 7 32bit Hyundai N220Wa+ 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W NZXT Phantom White Logitech G300 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp4wners View Post
Because Intel is much faster than AMD? -.-
WOW, just wow.

Pretty sure my x2 is faster than an Atom.
Dunno
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3550 Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI HD7850 1GB Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x2GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x4GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb Intel 330 60Gb SSD Scythe Mugen 2 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 8 Pro Acer AL2416W Samsung 940n Chieftec 750w 
Case
Thermaltake V4 
  hide details  
Reply
Dunno
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3550 Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 MSI HD7850 1GB Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x2GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston Hyperx Blu 2x4GB Samsung Spinpoint F3 1tb Intel 330 60Gb SSD Scythe Mugen 2 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
Windows 8 Pro Acer AL2416W Samsung 940n Chieftec 750w 
Case
Thermaltake V4 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasp1js View Post
WOW, just wow.

Pretty sure my x2 is faster than an Atom.
That's not much to be bragging about, LOL. Atom is so slow even a Pentium 4 is faster.

Link
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #46 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
Slower does not equal slow. I already discussed this with him. He ignorantly mentioned out that comparing Sandy Bridge to Deneb was like comparing a Formula One car to a Mustang, which is obviously BS. Deneb has around 40% slower IPC than Sandy Bridge. A Formula One is more than 300% faster than a Mustang overall. And I guess you two are also forgetting that AMD is using a two-year-old architecture.

Actually the point I was attempting to make was that slow and slower comes from a perspective.

In hindsight I may have given the AMD a bit too much credit since the 2011 Ford Mustang puts up some decent numbers.

When I said it I was coming from the idea that the top end for a F1 car is about 230 MPH, the top in for the Mustang is around 170 MPH. Then my comment was that while the ford would be considered fast by a lot of people it wouldn't be considered fast at all by a F1 driver. Which was going towards the fact that I've owned several Phenom II chips and a i5-2500k so I had the perspective of a F1 driver.

IPC isn't a good way to look at anything, its been around forever however you don't see any review sites using it do you? The reason is because its a poor way to evaluate performance.

I guess you're also forgetting that AMD hasn't had a truly "new" design in about eight years.

Edit:

Is it slow?



VS.



If we're using the latter as a baseline, then yes, its slow.
Edited by BallaTheFeared - 5/22/11 at 5:34am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #47 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
Actually the point I was attempting to make was that slow and slower comes from a perspective.

In hindsight I may have given the AMD a bit too much credit since the 2011 Ford Mustang puts up some decent numbers.

When I said it I was coming from the idea that the top end for a F1 car is about 230 MPH, the top in for the Mustang is around 170 MPH. Then my comment was that while the ford would be considered fast by a lot of people it wouldn't be considered fast at all by a F1 driver. Which was going towards the fact that I've owned several Phenom II chips and a i5-2500k so I had the perspective of a F1 driver.

IPC isn't a good way to look at anything, its been around forever however you don't see any review sites using it do you? The reason is because its a poor way to evaluate performance.

I guess you're also forgetting that AMD hasn't had a truly "new" design in about eight years.

Edit:

Is it slow?



VS.



If we're using the latter as a baseline, then yes, its slow.
No, it's slower. Also, not only do you have the nerve to compare a $140 2-year-old architecture CPU to a $220 CPU that was released just a few months ago, but you also clock the newer one 1.2GHz higher and then say the older CPU is slow. We're comparing IPC here, nothing else. I don't care about your argument about "maximum over-clocks". You want to compare architectures directly, you use the same clock speeds. Even then, you're not proving anything. Comparing Deneb to Sandy Bridge is as fruitless as comparing Yorkfield to Sandy Bridge, what it originally was meant to compete with. Since performance is now lower, they lowered the prices accordingly until they release their new architecture in a few weeks.

And your F1/Mustang comparison was and still is hilarious. Cars aren't measured just by their straight line speed, you know.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #48 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
No, it's slower. Also, not only do you have the nerve to compare a $140 2-year-old architecture CPU to a $220 CPU that was released just a few months ago, but you also clock the newer one 1.2GHz higher and then say the older CPU is slow. We're comparing IPC here, nothing else. I don't care about your argument about "maximum over-clocks". You want to compare architectures directly, you use the same clock speeds. Even then, you're not proving anything. Comparing Deneb to Sandy Bridge is as fruitless as comparing Yorkfield to Sandy Bridge, what it originally was meant to compete with. Since performance is now lower, they lowered the prices accordingly until they release their new architecture in a few weeks.

And your F1/Mustang comparison was and still is hilarious. Cars aren't measured just by their straight line speed, you know.

I completely agree. It's worth noting that my 760 @ 4ghz only scored 5.26 as compared to a PII that would cost 50-70 less to buy.

clock for clock amd will still lose, but when you're comparing old architecture and lower price to a sandy bridge processor, it would be hilarious if intel didn't win.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4460 Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H sapphire R9 290 Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz cas9  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD caviar blue 1tb WD caviar black 500gb Samsung 840 Evo stock :^) 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 8.1 Ubuntu LG IPS 236v Asus 1080p IPS  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer K272HUL Das Model S Ultimate Corsair TX750 Corsair 350D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Mionix Naos 3200 // Razer Deathadder  QcK xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4460 Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H sapphire R9 290 Crucial Ballistix 1866mhz cas9  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
WD caviar blue 1tb WD caviar black 500gb Samsung 840 Evo stock :^) 
OSOSMonitorMonitor
Windows 8.1 Ubuntu LG IPS 236v Asus 1080p IPS  
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer K272HUL Das Model S Ultimate Corsair TX750 Corsair 350D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Mionix Naos 3200 // Razer Deathadder  QcK xonar Dx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 88
The 955 released at $245, I think its fair to compare it to a $220 CPU. Its also not my fault AMD brought out Phenom II and priced it at $245 when it was clear it wasn't even close to the performance level of the core i series processors that had already been out since 2008. I'd like to know how you came to the conclusion Phenom II was meant to compete with C2Qs when Phenom IIs came out after even the core I series came out, which was after yorkfield, which is more to the point of why is AMD so slow to develop new chips that can actually compete but feels the need to release new chips at prices they don't warrant?

Intel doesn't reduce their pricing because by the time their chips become outdated its because they've already released a new design to replace the old one at the same price points.

The point of this thread is why does AMD release chips at over-priced levels because they're new, then quickly drop the pricing on them as they fail to match up with the competition.

Why would I use the same core speeds for comparing two different architectures when one clearly has a clock speed advantage? That makes absolutely no sense. When I compare my SB chip to a Pent 3 do I do it at 800Mhz with 3 cores disabled? lol.

My comparison was spot on.



Those don't look like wheels for turnin.

Your i5 is the reason Phenom II x4 was so cheap, after they priced their new chips at outrageous pricing, Intel came out with 1156 (i5 at $200~) which sent AMD down below the $200 mark since their quad couldn't compete with the 1156 platform that came out after 1366. They then released the 1090T and the X6 lineup with outrageous pricing once again, hitting the $300 price point and by the time SB came out (yet another new design) the 1090T had dropped 30% off its release price.

Intel sets the market, AMD tries to fill in where it can.
Edited by BallaTheFeared - 5/22/11 at 9:44am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 88
Answering to the OP question :

Because AMD is not GREEDY like Intel.
   
AMD HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6300  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0 Sapphire 6950 unlocked Geil 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Sony Corsair H60 Mepis Tetris 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG HD  Logitech G11 OCZ 750 F1 Nexus Clodius Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G5R Mionix Creative X-Fi Xteme Music 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate Sapphire R7 265 Crucial Elite 2 X 4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD /Seagate Optiarc/LG Cooler Master Hyper TX2 Mepis Tetris 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG HD  Logitech generic Corsair CS650 Nexus Clodius White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
A4 Crap Mionix Anus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 5150 ASUS AM1M-A  IGD Crucial 2X2G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 640Gb junk SONY DVD-RW Stock OpenSuse/Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LED TV Logitech wireless FSP Foxconn 
Mouse
Logitech wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
   
AMD HTPC
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6300  Asus Sabertooth 990FX R 2.0 Sapphire 6950 unlocked Geil 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD Sony Corsair H60 Mepis Tetris 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG HD  Logitech G11 OCZ 750 F1 Nexus Clodius Black 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G5R Mionix Creative X-Fi Xteme Music 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G41 PC Mate Sapphire R7 265 Crucial Elite 2 X 4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD /Seagate Optiarc/LG Cooler Master Hyper TX2 Mepis Tetris 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG HD  Logitech generic Corsair CS650 Nexus Clodius White 
MouseMouse PadAudio
A4 Crap Mionix Anus Xonar D1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 5150 ASUS AM1M-A  IGD Crucial 2X2G 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate 640Gb junk SONY DVD-RW Stock OpenSuse/Ubuntu 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LED TV Logitech wireless FSP Foxconn 
Mouse
Logitech wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel?