Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel? - Page 7

post #61 of 88
I'm not saying they aren't viable, I was responding to the OP of why do they constantly drop prices over their life.

I could play every game I have now with my 965/1090T and many of them with my 245/555, however I could also play all those on an xbox, or PS2... That doesn't mean the performance is the same, or the experience is either.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
I'm not saying they aren't viable, I was responding to the OP of why do they constantly drop prices over their life.

I could play every game I have now with my 965/1090T and many of them with my 245/555, however I could also play all those on an xbox, or PS2... That doesn't mean the performance is the same, or the experience is either.
That's fair enough. To be honest I don't know why he asked it in the first place, all technology drops in price over time as something newer and faster comes out, regardless if it's AMD or not.
Edited by Am* - 5/22/11 at 11:34am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Celeron G530 Haven't decided yet. GTX 460 768MB 4GB Ripjaws 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Samsung F3 1TB (SSD coming later) XP/Windows 7 Same old... Yet to decide. 
Case
Fractal Design Define R3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Wut_Axel View Post
The Core i3 doesn't have turbo.

And that link only proves what I said: that the Phenom II X4 955 is faster in most multi-threaded applications, the ones that actually take time to complete. Also, I never talked about heat output and power consumption. I talked about performance. Now you try and bring that up as a scapegoat.

You're right my bad. I would never buy one so I didn't know they didn't even have turbo, I figured they were the same as the i5 2500. However you're still comparing AMDs top end quad core design to Intels low end i3.

Here is a scapegoat:

When SB first came out the 955 was still at $155.

Case in point to this thread: Why does AMD continue to lower their pricing when Intel doesn't? Because AMD needs to reduce their top end X4 platform to the level of an i3-2100 in order to compete at all in performance, and only in multi-threaded can they do it there.






Its priced to compete with the lowest level of cpu Intel has produced this gen so far, because at its $155 price point when SB came out it could not.
Edited by BallaTheFeared - 5/22/11 at 11:39am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
You're right my bad. I would never buy one so I didn't know they didn't even have turbo, I figured they were the same as the i5 2500. However you're still comparing AMDs top end quad core design to Intels low end i3.

Here is a scapegoat:

When SB first came out the 955 was still at $155.

Case in point to this thread: Why does AMD continue to lower their pricing when Intel doesn't? Because AMD needs to reduce their top end X4 platform to the level of an i3-2100 in order to compete at all in performance, and only in multi-threaded can they do it there.






Its price to compete with the lowest level of cpu Intel has produced this gen so far, because at its $155 price point when SB came out it could not.
Yes, because clearly gaming is the only thing you do with computers. And the only game where it would've made a relevant difference is in Starcraft II, and even there it's only some 4-5 FPS faster.

Not impressive that this is coming from you, anyway.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 88
Then we go back to my statement about not making general assumptions like at 150 and below AMD is the best price vs performance, and at 150 and above Intel is because everyone has different needs.

You seem to be having problems keeping up.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
Then we go back to my statement about not making general assumptions like at 150 and below AMD is the best price vs performance, and at 150 and above Intel is because everyone has different needs.

You seem to be having problems keeping up.
It's faster overall, so my point was correct. Gaming is but one of the activities you'll do with these CPUs, and getting 90 FPS instead of 100 won't change your gaming experience at all. Encoding something faster, though, that makes a difference. And obviously this is without counting the fact that the 955 was pretty much made for over-clocking and with just some upping of the multipliers you can get it to 3.5GHz on stock voltage on the stock cooler.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 88
No your point is not correct because if you were a gamer then the i3 offers better price vs performance.

Overall I do very little besides gaming, however if I did a lot of rendering I would choose a 1055t over my i5-2500k because it provides nearly the same performance for $160 (current).

3.2 GHz to 3.8-4.0Ghz is the average OC for a Phemon 955, less if its C2 of course. However since 600 to 800 MHz is thought of as "made for overclocking" what is my i5-2500k which can do a 2000MHz overclock?
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 88
Meh, Intel charges way too much for their chipset, platform cost is the thing that prevents me going Intel. Why should I pay the same price for a low end Intel board when I can buy a Crosshair for similar money? Sure, the chip prices are competitive for the performance, but add in a board, and it all changes. You show me a $50 sandy bridge board (brand new that is) and I'll take Intel seriously on a cost basis, because I can show you dozens that will run a PhenomII quad core for that.
Sure Intel has performance tied up with a pretty bow on top right now, but it costs too much, and they'll only go and change sockets on you again a few months down the road. AMD has made upgrading simple, they've not obsoleted an entire platform in one go since s939 was killed, Intel does it every six months or so.
Ryzen 5 1600
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 MSI B350 Gaming Plus Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE2 OC 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LED, PC4-24... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung PM961 Polaris M.2 NVMe  1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100 3.5" HDD, SATA III  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 64 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Unicomp Model M 650W EVGA SuperNOVA G1, 80PLUS Gold, Full Modular Kolink Luminosity Cooler Master Reaper Aluminium 
  hide details  
Reply
Ryzen 5 1600
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 MSI B350 Gaming Plus Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE2 OC 16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LED, PC4-24... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
256GB Samsung PM961 Polaris M.2 NVMe  1TB Toshiba DT01ACA100 3.5" HDD, SATA III  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Windows 10 64 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Unicomp Model M 650W EVGA SuperNOVA G1, 80PLUS Gold, Full Modular Kolink Luminosity Cooler Master Reaper Aluminium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 88
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 2500K P8P67 PRO NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT G-Skill A-Data G-Skill 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
A-Data Crucial M4 64GB + 1TB F3 Spinpoint $155 LS/DL DVD RW $?? Windows 8 64-bit "Epic Registry" Edition 
MonitorPowerCase
ASUS 21.5 1920x1080 2ms $135 CORSAIR HX850 $120 Mother Earth $free 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
No your point is not correct because if you were a gamer then the i3 offers better price vs performance.

Overall I do very little besides gaming, however if I did a lot of rendering I would choose a 1055t over my i5-2500k because it provides nearly the same performance for $160 (current).

3.2 GHz to 3.8-4.0Ghz is the average OC for a Phemon 955, less if its C2 of course. However since 600 to 800 MHz is thought of as "made for overclocking" what is my i5-2500k which can do a 2000MHz overclock?
But I wasn't talking about gamers. I was talking about overall performance.

And by "made for over-clocking" I clearly mean that it has an unlocked multiplier and it would make no sense to not do a stock voltage OC since it improves performance and efficiency.

And all of the new Phenom II X4 955s being sold are C3. Hell, even the $100 Phenom II X4 925 being sold at Newegg is a C3. I don't even know why you're bringing up an older stepping. Or do you think it's fair for me to say now that you shouldn't buy LGA 1155 motherboards because of the past B2 stepping SATA degradation issues?
Edited by LOL_Wut_Axel - 5/22/11 at 12:17pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo P7450 @2.7GHz Pegatron G60VX (A12) GeForce GTX 260M 1GB @610/1500/2000 Hynix 4GB DDR2 @1000MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate Momentus 7200.4 320GB LG GSA-T50N, HP dvd1170r Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit HP W2207 22" (1680x1050) 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Microsoft Digital media Keyboard 3000 Delta Electronics ADP-120ZB BB 120W Logitech G500 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Why does AMD go cheaper more over time than Intel?