Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SCSI SAS vs Sata
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SCSI SAS vs Sata - Page 2

post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDan View Post
Anyone at all? I wanna use it... But unsure of it'd be worth all the reformatting and what not
Please wait 24 hours before bumping your threads.

Now that's a pretty nice SAS drive. I'd certainly use it as a boot drive; it'll be much faster than your storage drive, though still slower than a SSD.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 24
How noisy is it though?
post #13 of 24
SCSI drives will have faster access times....
 
Fun inside...
(17 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz 9800GX2 (wet) 1998Mhz Shader 4.5GB mixed WD Caviar black 20GB 'SS' 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Cheap beige DVD ROM Koolance full copper GX2 block Vista 32bit LG W2486L 
PowerCase
Antec EA650 Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 D0 P6X58D-6 [Full mosfet/Northbridge blocks) GTX480 3x 2GB Dominator 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
M4 64GB WD Green 1.5TB 2x WD CB 640GB Lite-on 22x dual layer, ASUS Blu-ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom loop Windows 7 64 bit LG W2486L Microsoft (cheapest they had) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX950 Lancool PC-K62 Microsoft X5 Akira theme 
Audio
Logitec 5.1 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
EVGA P55 2x 2GB Corsa 2133MHz 250GB DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitor
Air Vista Business 32bit 17" 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Fun inside...
(17 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz 9800GX2 (wet) 1998Mhz Shader 4.5GB mixed WD Caviar black 20GB 'SS' 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Cheap beige DVD ROM Koolance full copper GX2 block Vista 32bit LG W2486L 
PowerCase
Antec EA650 Antec 900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 920 D0 P6X58D-6 [Full mosfet/Northbridge blocks) GTX480 3x 2GB Dominator 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
M4 64GB WD Green 1.5TB 2x WD CB 640GB Lite-on 22x dual layer, ASUS Blu-ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Custom loop Windows 7 64 bit LG W2486L Microsoft (cheapest they had) 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair TX950 Lancool PC-K62 Microsoft X5 Akira theme 
Audio
Logitec 5.1 
MotherboardRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
EVGA P55 2x 2GB Corsa 2133MHz 250GB DVD-RW 
CoolingOSMonitor
Air Vista Business 32bit 17" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Chief View Post
How noisy is it though?
You won't hear it over your case fans.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 24
Thread Starter 
It's not that noisy, It reading and writing is... and honestly, I can't say I've seen a difference... System specs are below...

It's in a PCI-E 16x slot... 15k RPM.. but I don't see much of a difference. I'm running windows 7 64-bit ultimate. is that why?

Should I just go to 32bit OS? Because I may not have spend much on this drive and it's control board... but I was told it'd boost my speed up quite a bit compared to the SATA drive... I most've done something wrong ):
Edited by MasterDan - 5/24/11 at 5:14pm
post #16 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDan View Post
It's not that noisy, It reading and writing is... and honestly, I can't say I've seen a difference... System specs are below...

It's in a PCI-E 16x slot... 15k RPM.. but I don't see much of a difference. I'm running windows 7 64-bit ultimate. is that why?

Should I just go to 32bit OS? Because I may not have spend much on this drive and it's control board... but I was told it'd boost my speed up quite a bit compared to the SATA drive... I most've done something wrong ):
You really need to put a bunch of them in RAID. Then you will see it really take off.

As for 64-bit, there's absolutely no reason for you to switch to 32-bit; it would cripple your computer.
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Underground
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i7 920 C0 ASUS P6T6 WS Revolution GTX 460 TR3X6G1600C8D 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD1001FALS SAMSUNG SH-S223F 22X DVD MULTI Corsair H50 Fedora 16 KDE x86_64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP w19b Microsoft Comfort Curve Corsair CX600 Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS 
MouseMouse Pad
Razer DeathAdder Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by error10 View Post
You really need to put a bunch of them in RAID. Then you will see it really take off.

As for 64-bit, there's absolutely no reason for you to switch to 32-bit; it would cripple your computer.

I see. Well, I'm wondering why I haven't seen much of a difference... From what I saw people who even just have one SAS SCSI drive said it's a helluva boost from SATA.

Would it be my OS? (Windows 7 Ultimate 65-bit) improper drivers? What? Lol.
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDan View Post
I see. Well, I'm wondering why I haven't seen much of a difference... From what I saw people who even just have one SAS SCSI drive said it's a helluva boost from SATA.

Would it be my OS? (Windows 7 Ultimate 65-bit) improper drivers? What? Lol.
to be realy honest there is not a great deal between any mechanical drive setups - it's only when you get to SSD you really notice the boost. If you use your drive for a few weeks then go back to a standard SATA drive you're more likely to notice the difference than when you move to the faster drive.

Your OS etc won't affect things, and Windows 7 probably has the latest (or close to it) drivers anyway. What card is it you have?
post #19 of 24
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
to be realy honest there is not a great deal between any mechanical drive setups - it's only when you get to SSD you really notice the boost. If you use your drive for a few weeks then go back to a standard SATA drive you're more likely to notice the difference than when you move to the faster drive.

Your OS etc won't affect things, and Windows 7 probably has the latest (or close to it) drivers anyway. What card is it you have?
It would be a Dell Model UCS-51 control board. That's all it says.
post #20 of 24
Thread Starter 
Also: Would this board be Dell only? Because it's currently in my Dell Dimension 546... I tried putting it in another machine, The machine will recognize it in the BIOS, And it'll show the boot screen for the card / drive itself... But after that the screen just goes blank...

It's an Acer M5100 AMD X2 2.10 Ghz 2gb RAM, AMD chipset, PCI-E 16x, 500watt off-brand PSU.

It's getting proper power, I know.. I've tried to reset the BIOS and tweak settings with no luck.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SCSI SAS vs Sata