Overclock.net banner

2500k or 2600k and ASUS Z68 or Gigabyte Z68?

10K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  B-Roll 
#1 ·
It's come down to these 4 choices.

Firstly, I haven't built an Intel machine since the Socket 370 PIII 933 was the top of the line. Even better, that was the last machine I ever built until just a few months ago when I built my sig machine. Anyways.

I am going to be getting back into video/audio editing. I started off with Premiere, I was really good at it and I'm sure things have changed a bit since then and I know my rendering times will be better than with that old 933 haha.

First question though - (I should probably be asking this particular one in the AMD section but oh well, also I'm not a sole supporter of either company, I just like building things.) I'm going to be running Premiere, After Effects, probably Photoshop and some audio editing stuff and eventually DVD/Blu-Ray editing software. I'm sure my sig rig would suffice to get by doing this but would it be as efficient as a 2500/2600k? Everything I've read points to "Yeah it'd work BUT..."

I'm not too concerned with overclocking this build that much (If I even do this build). Yes, I will do it but I'm sure I won't have to go very high. The build will also probably be put into a Sunbeam Ultra tech station. I haven't decided. So that will give me some cooling and so will the H70 I used to use. I'm not trying to do major upgrades or make it look pretty like my sig rig. Pff, let's face it, I'm sure once I get it and start building I'm gonna wanna make it better haha.

So from my brief reading over some of these threads, it seems for what I want to do that 2600k would be my best bet because of HT. Is this true? I do play games but I can do that on this machine I have now so I'm not too concerned with that. But if I had the 2500k, am I going to see a noticeable performance decrease not going with the 2600?

Now for the motherboards, ASUS or Gigabyte? I've watched videos on both boards and that's probably as extensive as that research goes. I'm sure I'd be happy with either of them. I've only ever used ASUS and Gigabyte. Originally for my sig machine I wanted to go with ASUS but went with Gigabyte cus of $$$. Now I'm kinda wishing I went with ASUS for it so I'm thinking I might try ASUS for this build if I do it.

I've got some of the equipment I need coming in this week so I guess I'll be doing some tests and rendering/encoding and see how well this machine does and maybe results here and see if I can do better.

Any help, suggestions, flames, info, links, other threads etc, etc are welcome. Thank you!

See less See more
#2 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Roll;13596970
It's come down to these 4 choices.

Firstly, I haven't built an Intel machine since the Socket 370 PIII 933 was the top of the line. Even better, that was the last machine I ever built until just a few months ago when I built my sig machine. Anyways.

I am going to be getting back into video/audio editing. I started off with Premiere, I was really good at it and I'm sure things have changed a bit since then and I know my rendering times will be better than with that old 933 haha.

First question though - (I should probably be asking this particular one in the AMD section but oh well, also I'm not a sole supporter of either company, I just like building things.) I'm going to be running Premiere, After Effects, probably Photoshop and some audio editing stuff and eventually DVD/Blu-Ray editing software. I'm sure my sig rig would suffice to get by doing this but would it be as efficient as a 2500/2600k? Everything I've read points to "Yeah it'd work BUT..."

I'm not too concerned with overclocking this build that much (If I even do this build). Yes, I will do it but I'm sure I won't have to go very high. The build will also probably be put into a Sunbeam Ultra tech station. I haven't decided. So that will give me some cooling and so will the H70 I used to use. I'm not trying to do major upgrades or make it look pretty like my sig rig. Pff, let's face it, I'm sure once I get it and start building I'm gonna wanna make it better haha.

So from my brief reading over some of these threads, it seems for what I want to do that 2600k would be my best bet because of HT. Is this true? I do play games but I can do that on this machine I have now so I'm not too concerned with that. But if I had the 2500k, am I going to see a noticeable performance decrease not going with the 2600?

Now for the motherboards, ASUS or Gigabyte? I've watched videos on both boards and that's probably as extensive as that research goes. I'm sure I'd be happy with either of them. I've only ever used ASUS and Gigabyte. Originally for my sig machine I wanted to go with ASUS but went with Gigabyte cus of $$$. Now I'm kinda wishing I went with ASUS for it so I'm thinking I might try ASUS for this build if I do it.

I've got some of the equipment I need coming in this week so I guess I'll be doing some tests and rendering/encoding and see how well this machine does and maybe results here and see if I can do better.

Any help, suggestions, flames, info, links, other threads etc, etc are welcome. Thank you!
will your programs make use of the HT? I'm not familiar with alot of those programs... the way you answer that will determine if you want the 2600k or the 2500k
smile.gif
Yes i7, No i5.
Asus... Asus... Asus...

that is all

#4 ·
i would say 2600k both board companys u got are the 2 best in my book, eaher is fine for overclocking to ~ 5gh i would not push the chip higher then 1.25 votes. alot of 2500k2600k degreading on higher volts but we all know volts kill the 2500k 2600k just keep volts down.@1.25 u can get ~4.6ghz so thats fast. and yes the programs u talk about will be faster on ht and overclocks will improve the render times/edits.

i think the geforce cards will help you out in that feild too. skip the 570 and 590 gtx but 580 and 560ti are good. 570s and 590 tend to die on overclocks (bad phase power) my 580 is a beast tho
smile.gif

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GfhTattoo;13597199
i would say 2600k both board companys u got are the 2 best in my book, eaher is fine for overclocking to ~ 5gh i would not push the chip higher then 1.25 votes. alot of 2500k2600k degreading on higher volts but we all know volts kill the 2500k 2600k just keep volts down.@1.25 u can get ~4.6ghz so thats fast. and yes the programs u talk about will be faster on ht and overclocks will improve the render times/edits.

i think the geforce cards will help you out in that feild too. skip the 570 and 590 gtx but 580 and 560ti are good. 570s and 590 tend to die on overclocks (bad phase power) my 580 is a beast tho
smile.gif
I've not heard of anyone having issues with higher volts below 1.5. what is this 1.25v number you quote? Chips degrading in 5 months? I think i smell something foul. someone check your shoes for bull feces.

#9 ·
well u can look in here for them , with high volts on the chips they do die alot reporting chips degrading but never know the max volts the chips takes. alot @ 1.5 and haveing chips degrade, If you dont think so keep runing u mite get lucky but i know the i7 X58 chips can hit that for long and their a bigger die. 1.25 is a # seems safe alot ppl getting 4.5 ghz on tho volts. dose not matter as long as u got paper to pick up a new one.

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GfhTattoo;13604250
well u can look in here for them , with high volts on the chips they do die alot reporting chips degrading but never know the max volts the chips takes. alot @ 1.5 and haveing chips degrade, If you dont think so keep runing u mite get lucky but i know the i7 X58 chips can hit that for long and their a bigger die. 1.25 is a # seems safe alot ppl getting 4.5 ghz on tho volts. dose not matter as long as u got paper to pick up a new one.
I think most people with a 2500K or 2600K have their vcore above 1.25v... Unless you're talkin about something else.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GfhTattoo
View Post

I also have a warranty haha.

And i never said to go to 1.5v I don't run 1.5 on mine. but thank you for your sarcastic concern.

most people do not pass 1.5v that I have seen. people that do are taking their chips in their own hands.

1.5v has been the limit on all the Sandy Bridge tutorials and threads. Most people don't like going over 1.4 I could get 1.25 and easily hit 4.5 But I got 4.9 at 1.368

#15 ·
Well its really a no brainer. Just get the 2600"K" which gives HD video 3000 and is unlocked instead of 2000 video on the non K model. Not that you were arguing that anyhow, just some FYI to the folks reading this thread. The 2600k can be found online (reputable stores, not ebay etc) for $305. The 2500k is $225 and does not include HT. Now HT is NOT a physical core and its NOT like going from 4 lanes on a freeway to 8 lanes (like they attempt to get you to believe from the advertising), however, it does offer significant speed boosts during some types of computing. And seriously for $75 extra bucks, what's the point in penny pinching? You already have to buy an overpriced new MB... Personally I think $500 for a possible 5ghz chip and a MB with a billion features its well worth it.

The true delema I'm having is WHAT MOTHERBOARD TO GET. I've been looking for weeks. Tomshardware gave their thumbs up to the ASrocks board, Hardware heaven gave its recommendation to the 340$ gigabyte board (UD7), andytech had mixed things to say about the asus V pro. I pretty much stay away from lower priced boards or MSI offerings (personal reasons) so its between the gigabyte board and the Asus. I love the look and strengths of the UD7, but I don't use that extreme sli setups, and you lose the ability to have the processor do trans-coding (no outputs), but I am planning on watercooling/overclocking so I like the 24phase power design...and lets be real, the board looks awesome. I'm slightly annoyed that you have to buy a board with a million pci-e slots just to get dual Lan these days, makes it hard to get the UD7 board for Dual lan when I'll lose pci slots to PCI-e slots which I won't use (I don't need multiple of multiple video cards). The UD5 would seem to be a good alternative, however, it skimps on internal (6) Sata connections and for what I do 8 isn't even enough.

I'm leaning towards the ASUS pro board because it has most of the features I need (although its annoying that they put in a PCI-e slot but if you use it 1/2 your front panel connectors (in red) are disabled...) That being said, I've always used Asus and have been fairly happy until my last board the original CrossHair for orginal AM barton processors. The board was faulty from the get go, could never use all 6 sata connectors, no matter what configuration it was in, only 5 worked at any given time, 1 of the two onboard Lan connectors never worked and it was extremely finicky with ram configurations. So I'm a bit leery to purchase another $200+ board from them.

Anyhow what Z68 boards are folks here going with and why and if you have actually used it, how's it working out?

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Roll
View Post

If there's a Micro Center near you, they're selling the 2600k for $280.

I'm waiting until after BD comes out (yeah yeah, I know) to see exactly what I'll do. I'll probably still be leaning towards making this machine. And I'm really leaning towards the Gigabyte UD5 or UD7 board if I do.

No point in the ud7 if you aren't running multiple GPUs

I would say z68 is a sure thing for encoding, but I also suppose it's no harm to wait and see what BD brings to the table in that regard..

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by xPrestonn
View Post

No point in the ud7 if you aren't running multiple GPUs

I would say z68 is a sure thing for encoding, but I also suppose it's no harm to wait and see what BD brings to the table in that regard..

True. What my plan was is to make a BD machine that does my gaming and I would have tri-fire (6990+6970) and then have a test bench with either my sig board/CPU in it for video editing or the 2600k build. Or just have the BD machine do everything depending on how things pan out with that but I really wanted to have just a separate machine to do video editing on. I dunno. We'll see what happens in a couple weeks I guess.

And yeah, after doing some more research tonight I'd prob go with just the UD5 cus I wouldn't be doing multiple GPUs on an editing rig.

#19 ·
HELLO friend

CPU - INTEL 2600K every one first choice (INTEL 2600K>>>>>>>Intel 2500K)
INTEL 2500K save your 100bucks
specially INTEL 2600K is much faster in video editing,gaming,other application
other guys talk about volts i think right volts are 1.45 FOR BEST OC
(1.5 volt is fooler volt that can kill the CHIP)

MOBO - ASUS P8Z68 Pro
THIS motherboard has excellent features
and performance better than gigabyte
( i'm happy u choose the right which is ASUS ASUS ASUS ASUS ASUS)
OTHER THINGS
ASUS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> gugubyte
ASUS
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gigabyte
ASUS winner and Gugubyte succks

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranveer;13657118
HELLO friend

MOBO - ASUS P8Z68 Pro
OTHER THINGS
ASUS
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gigabyte
You
kookoo.gif

2600k is not faster in games.
wink.gif

1.45v is not best for overclocking
1.5v will not kill your chip
asus does not have better performance than gigabyte

Infact just re-edit and delete your post and do us all a favour

#21 ·
Quote:
HELLO friend

specially INTEL 2600K is much faster in video editing,gaming,other application [... etc]
That is quite possibly the most hilarious post I've seen in my entire life. And I have read hundreds of thousands.

Read Chewy's reply. Please. And do as he says.

#22 ·
Quote:
HELLO friend

MOBO - ASUS P8Z68 Pro
OTHER THINGS
ASUS
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gunner2.gif
gigabyte
Not sure if troll or if just really stupid.

Actually I am sure. You're just really stupid.

#23 ·
Well with a delay of BD I'm gonna go ahead and make the build on a tech bench.

Im gonna make the drive and pick up a 2600K next weekend.

Now my biggest dilemma is the motherboard. Asus or gigabyte?? Anyone own either of these Z68 boards??

Like I said I'll be doing mostly av editing with it so I dont NEED any heavy OC features but if I can oc it why not right? Haha.

If I go with Asus do i go pro or deluxe??

If I go gigabyte do I go ud5 or ud7??

I most likely won't be doing any Xfire or SLI. I'll prob just be throwing in a 260 or 8800 in there that I got from a friend. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.