Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club - Page 1012

post #10111 of 12279
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

I don't mind the advice but for sure, I'd like the person to have a little taste of stable stock settings first. You may be right. But for sure, it'll make things harder for him.

I'd say try at least the default settings to eliminate what's causing instability. If you are pointing to the RAM, his best bet is to use a much lower Multi for the RAM.
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

It would be better to go into the Bios, Load Default Settings, > Reboot to the Bios, > Disable Power Savings and Turbo, > Adjust the Core Voltage to +0.00 or stock if not on Offset, > Do the same with CPU-NB

Test.

I also think you need a messing with the Memory as dropping to One Core per CU will not give the Cores Stability on the same Voltage. It only consumes about half of the Current (Amps).

But could also be something else.

Try out the RAM at default settings. It will be either 1333 or 1600 as fail safe.

Edit: If you can share screenshots, we can point out the things you need to change on the RAMs.. thumb.gif

I'm a year older since I last messed on the timings with my Giga. biggrin.gif

Ok.

Once I get home I will:
-reload default optimized settings
-turn off all optimization
-check voltages are default
-set RAM to 1333Mhz; lowest it can go and this speed also uses 1.5V not 1.65V
-look for a USB stick, we just changed houses and everything is in boxes, and take screenshots of the settings in the BIOS.

Also I think can manage to get a better cooler if you think 54-58C is too hot for stock on this cpu
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/ this has good reviews and is cheap.

Thanks.
post #10112 of 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraddox View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Ok.

Once I get home I will:
-reload default optimized settings
-turn off all optimization
-check voltages are default
-set RAM to 1333Mhz; lowest it can go and this speed also uses 1.5V not 1.65V
-look for a USB stick, we just changed houses and everything is in boxes, and take screenshots of the settings in the BIOS.

Also I think can manage to get a better cooler if you think 54-58C is too hot for stock on this cpu
http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/ this has good reviews and is cheap.

Thanks.

There is no need to set the RAM to 1333 because its rated for 1866 native so it should run at that speed, why lowering it?
I have the same board but the rev 1.1 and i have a memory option that let me to select what RAM profile i want to load, when i load profile1 it loads the default settings of my ram, that set the timings and voltages to its stock speed.

If i were you and you have plans to get an Noctua NH-D15 like you said on he previous page i would not waste my money on a CM hyper 212EVO because for the FX chips its not a good cooler and overclocking goes out the window with it.

just reset the bios and disable all the power saving features like i said in the previous post and the PLL and you are ready to run without any problems. If yo have problems take a picture with your phone (if you have an camera on it) and post it here if not, do the USB thing thumb.gif
post #10113 of 12279
BTW @ METAL,

I have exchanged my Sennheiser for the ATH-M50x and its a world of difference i hear tones i never heard before man, they are awesome!

As i come correct you have the previous ones the M50's right? there is a difference between them and not only the removable cable.

The ear cushions are softer and the head band is slightly more comfortable. Also the sound is different because it has the newer drivers.
post #10114 of 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraddox View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3TAl View Post

It might not like the 9.33x memory multiplier. Try it with FSB. 233-234 FSB and 8x memory multi for ~1866 MHz. Remember changing FSB also changesCPU, HT-Link, and CPU-NB.

Than basically my best option would be to put the memory on 1600Mhz with Dual Channel and then overclock the FSB to 1866Mhz?

I didn't want to get into overclocking until I managed to get a stable stock experience first. And then use my unlocked multiplier to OC a little.

But I guess it is worth a try. Should I reload default optimized settings first? Or keep the modified voltages people suggested to me before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post


On mobile can't use spoilers.

First put ram in 2nd and 4th slot from the left.

Second don't use xmp manually set first four timings and voltage. And is not intel and usually won't run intel timings.

Last don't be scared of llc. Use med or the next one up. Let me know if anything else needs help ( you do need to shut off power saving too )

I wanted to do that but then I realized that I don't really know what the values should be for my RAM just copying the ones that XMP set didn't make any sense to me.

http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX18C9T2K2_8X.pdf

this is my exact RAM. could you suggest some values to set?


PS: I'm so buying a laptop next time smile.gif))

9-11-9 at 1.65V.

Programmable Additive Latency: 0, CL - 2, or CL - 1 clock
Row Active Time (tRASmin) 36ns (min.)
Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFCmin)260ns(min.)
Row Cycle Time (tRCmin) 49.5ns (min.)
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
USS CLM8-1701
(39 items)
 
Her Venom
(21 items)
 
Lil Tough Guy
(15 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  
GraphicsGraphicsRAMHard Drive
R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC  F3-2400C10D-16GTX  OCZ Agility 3 120GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
OCZ Agility 3 120GB  Seagate Barracuda 1TB  Segate Barracuda 3TB Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Blu-ray Writer Swiftech H20-220 EDGE HD Liquid Cooling Kit Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech MCP-35X2 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Swiftech MCP35X2 Heat Sink Swiftech MCP35X Reservoir Swiftech Komodo 7970 Swiftech Komodo 7970 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 240mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm XT45 Alphacool 120mm UT60 FrozenQ PC Mods UV Meteor Light Limited Edition... 
CoolingCoolingOSOS
Koolance Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-R... Swiftech Komodo 7970 Windows 7 Windows 8  
MonitorMonitorMonitorMonitor
ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms  XFX FXTRISTAND Triple Display Monitor Stand  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 XFX pro 1250w black edition Caselabs MAGNUM M8 Case Razer Naga 
AudioAudioOther
Sony 2.1 Razer Megalodon XFX pro 1250w black edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
8350 batch 1229 pgn  Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z gigabyte 7770 OC gigabyte 7770 OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
F3-2400C10D-16GTX OCZ agaility 3 120  OCZ Agility 3 120gb  Seagate 7200rpm 1tb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Pioneer BDR-208DBK Rosewill RCR-IM5001 USB2.0 75 in 1 internal Car... Swiftech MCP-35X White Top Swiftech Quiet Power 240  
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Swiftech Apogee HD Windows 7 Windows 8 LG E2242 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG E2242 RAZER Black Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Seasonic x660 Cooler Master Storm Stryker 
Mouse
Razer Lachesis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 6100 Sabertooth 990fx R2.0 XFX 7770 Core Edition Samsung 1600 2x4 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 1600 2x4 Unknown as of now  Piorneer BDR-208DBK Swiftech H220  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8  Samsung 60" 120hz 3d LED TV Unknown Seasonic x750 
CaseMouseAudio
Cooler Master Storm Stryker Unknown Pioneer 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10115 of 12279
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

There is no need to set the RAM to 1333 because its rated for 1866 native so it should run at that speed, why lowering it?
I have the same board but the rev 1.1 and i have a memory option that let me to select what RAM profile i want to load, when i load profile1 it loads the default settings of my ram, that set the timings and voltages to its stock speed.

If i were you and you have plans to get an Noctua NH-D15 like you said on he previous page i would not waste my money on a CM hyper 212EVO because for the FX chips its not a good cooler and overclocking goes out the window with it.

just reset the bios and disable all the power saving features like i said in the previous post and the PLL and you are ready to run without any problems. If yo have problems take a picture with your phone (if you have an camera on it) and post it here if not, do the USB thing thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mega Man View Post

9-11-9 at 1.65V.

Programmable Additive Latency: 0, CL - 2, or CL - 1 clock
Row Active Time (tRASmin) 36ns (min.)
Refresh to Active/Refresh Command Time (tRFCmin)260ns(min.)
Row Cycle Time (tRCmin) 49.5ns (min.)

Thanks. I will give this a try also.


@hurricane28 I went from Senheiser to AT also but to ATH-T500 which are lower end but still sounds amazing.
post #10116 of 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraddox View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

Thanks. I will give this a try also.


@hurricane28 I went from Senheiser to AT also but to ATH-T500 which are lower end but still sounds amazing.

Good luck man.

I tried several Sennheiser in the same price range and IMO they sound not that great at all compare to my ATH-M50x, yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for and that is outstanding sound and the build quality overall is also better.

It does not matter if they are lower-end because it all depends on what you like so if you are happy with them thats great because that's the thing isn't it thumb.gif
post #10117 of 12279
spoilers on mobile (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

There is no need to set the RAM to 1333 because its rated for 1866 native so it should run at that speed, why lowering it?
I have the same board but the rev 1.1 and i have a memory option that let me to select what RAM profile i want to load, when i load profile1 it loads the default settings of my ram, that set the timings and voltages to its stock speed.

If i were you and you have plans to get an Noctua NH-D15 like you said on he previous page i would not waste my money on a CM hyper 212EVO because for the FX chips its not a good cooler and overclocking goes out the window with it.

just reset the bios and disable all the power saving features like i said in the previous post and the PLL and you are ready to run without any problems. If yo have problems take a picture with your phone (if you have an camera on it) and post it here if not, do the USB thing thumb.gif

He's having some issue running at stock. Needs to pinpoint what's causing the rebbots and black screens.

Also D15 might be good, but there's still supply issues. They're not yet available last time I heard. I'd say pick the silver arrow extremes. High speed/cfm fans. Can hangout with the aios at full tilt. Just noisy, and needs a helluva big case.

I would gladly sell my SA for a little more than the 212 if I'm just in the US.

Save your money, grab some used custom loop when you get a chance, or an aio. Just cage the pets. biggrin.gif

On that note, our cat doesn't and haven't even tried touching my computer laid down the floor with the panels open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Headphones (Click to show)
Good luck man.

I tried several Sennheiser in the same price range and IMO they sound not that great at all compare to my ATH-M50x, yes they are expensive but you get what you pay for and that is outstanding sound and the build quality overall is also better.

It does not matter if they are lower-end because it all depends on what you like so if you are happy with them thats great because that's the thing isn't it thumb.gif

Well, man, you hit this right. Sound quality is subjective.
As long as you enjoy your purchase, you won't regret it.
For you to differentiate it from a better one will require some good ears. And side by side testing. smile.gif
post #10118 of 12279
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

spoilers on mobile (Click to show)

He's having some issue running at stock. Needs to pinpoint what's causing the rebbots and black screens.

Also D15 might be good, but there's still supply issues. They're not yet available last time I heard. I'd say pick the silver arrow extremes. High speed/cfm fans. Can hangout with the aios at full tilt. Just noisy, and needs a helluva big case.

I would gladly sell my SA for a little more than the 212 if I'm just in the US.

Save your money, grab some used custom loop when you get a chance, or an aio. Just cage the pets. biggrin.gif

On that note, our cat doesn't and haven't even tried touching my computer laid down the floor with the panels open.
Well, man, you hit this right. Sound quality is subjective.
As long as you enjoy your purchase, you won't regret it.
For you to differentiate it from a better one will require some good ears. And side by side testing. smile.gif

One of my cats(we have 3) used to sleep on my tower, until I got a tower with upward blowing fans smile.gif))
And the cables in the back of the tower make for some nice toys in their eyes. smile.gif)

I have spent the last few hours reading about cooling systems and it seems that the D15 might not be worth the money. In the same money I can get a Corsair H110 that beats the hell out of all aircoolers and also doesn't block my first PCIE slot or any RAM slots.

There is this website with reviews that has some very professionals tests, but it's only in Romanian, lab501.ro and the guys there were saying that Noctua's latest products don't fare very well on high TDPs compared to SA or aio's. And from experience with other products they review and I bought I kind of trust them.

I just need to cut a nice spot for a H110 in my case because I can place 2x120mm fans and this guy is 2x140mm smile.gif) but with a little modding it will fit and I can also hide the liquid tubes inside the tower to keep them safe from the cats....muhaha smile.gif

I wanted to get a CM 212 Evo as a temp solution for the next 5-6months since it costs less that 1/3 of the H110 or D15 but I guess I'll just wait it out.

I just read that my current cooler supports AM3 not AM3+ slots. Could that create any problems? I don't think there are structural differences between these two.


Since I have a really bad ear for music, the ATH-T500 is an awesome product for me, because I can wear them 4-5hours straight without any discomfort (I have a large head) and compared to all consumer headphones in the price range they sound amazing.
post #10119 of 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

spoilers on mobile (Click to show)

He's having some issue running at stock. Needs to pinpoint what's causing the rebbots and black screens.

Also D15 might be good, but there's still supply issues. They're not yet available last time I heard. I'd say pick the silver arrow extremes. High speed/cfm fans. Can hangout with the aios at full tilt. Just noisy, and needs a helluva big case.

I would gladly sell my SA for a little more than the 212 if I'm just in the US.

Save your money, grab some used custom loop when you get a chance, or an aio. Just cage the pets. biggrin.gif

On that note, our cat doesn't and haven't even tried touching my computer laid down the floor with the panels open.
Well, man, you hit this right. Sound quality is subjective.
As long as you enjoy your purchase, you won't regret it.
For you to differentiate it from a better one will require some good ears. And side by side testing. smile.gif

Thnx man, well yes that's the thing isn't it, i man, before i purchase something high tech i would like to do some research before i actually but it to prevent disappointment later.

with the Sennheiser i did not read reviews and only listen to it in the store witch is always set to the optimal conditions and in most cases you never experience the same when you are at home.
For the ATH i did and it really pays of now because i am happy with my purchase, I payed like 55 euro's more but IMO that is cheaper than the 99 euro costing Sennheiser because i was not happy with its overall performance and now i am thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

spoilers on mobile (Click to show)

He's having some issue running at stock. Needs to pinpoint what's causing the rebbots and black screens.

Also D15 might be good, but there's still supply issues. They're not yet available last time I heard. I'd say pick the silver arrow extremes. High speed/cfm fans. Can hangout with the aios at full tilt. Just noisy, and needs a helluva big case.

I would gladly sell my SA for a little more than the 212 if I'm just in the US.

Save your money, grab some used custom loop when you get a chance, or an aio. Just cage the pets. biggrin.gif

On that note, our cat doesn't and haven't even tried touching my computer laid down the floor with the panels open.
Well, man, you hit this right. Sound quality is subjective.
As long as you enjoy your purchase, you won't regret it.
For you to differentiate it from a better one will require some good ears. And side by side testing. smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraddox View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

One of my cats(we have 3) used to sleep on my tower, until I got a tower with upward blowing fans smile.gif))
And the cables in the back of the tower make for some nice toys in their eyes. smile.gif)

I have spent the last few hours reading about cooling systems and it seems that the D15 might not be worth the money. In the same money I can get a Corsair H110 that beats the hell out of all aircoolers and also doesn't block my first PCIE slot or any RAM slots.

There is this website with reviews that has some very professionals tests, but it's only in Romanian, lab501.ro and the guys there were saying that Noctua's latest products don't fare very well on high TDPs compared to SA or aio's. And from experience with other products they review and I bought I kind of trust them.

I just need to cut a nice spot for a H110 in my case because I can place 2x120mm fans and this guy is 2x140mm smile.gif) but with a little modding it will fit and I can also hide the liquid tubes inside the tower to keep them safe from the cats....muhaha smile.gif

I wanted to get a CM 212 Evo as a temp solution for the next 5-6months since it costs less that 1/3 of the H110 or D15 but I guess I'll just wait it out.

I just read that my current cooler supports AM3 not AM3+ slots. Could that create any problems? I don't think there are structural differences between these two.


Since I have a really bad ear for music, the ATH-T500 is an awesome product for me, because I can wear them 4-5hours straight without any discomfort (I have a large head) and compared to all consumer headphones in the price range they sound amazing.

you can run H100i or a slim 240mm rad in push/pull also if you have the space, I have the H100i in push/pull with the standard fans that comes with it and the performance is actually very good.
I did push/pull because i can set it to quiet mode in the Corsair link and still have good temps under load, if i have only 2 fans i needed balanced mode and man, those fans are loud at full blast.
You can get an H105 as well, the performance of that is on par with the H110 because of its thicker rad and less fin density. Also its cheaper over here.
post #10120 of 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane28 View Post

Thnx man, well yes that's the thing isn't it, i man, before i purchase something high tech i would like to do some research before i actually but it to prevent disappointment later.

with the Sennheiser i did not read reviews and only listen to it in the store witch is always set to the optimal conditions and in most cases you never experience the same when you are at home.
For the ATH i did and it really pays of now because i am happy with my purchase, I payed like 55 euro's more but IMO that is cheaper than the 99 euro costing Sennheiser because i was not happy with its overall performance and now i am thumb.gif


you can run H100i or a slim 240mm rad in push/pull also if you have the space, I have the H100i in push/pull with the standard fans that comes with it and the performance is actually very good.
I did push/pull because i can set it to quiet mode in the Corsair link and still have good temps under load, if i have only 2 fans i needed balanced mode and man, those fans are loud at full blast.
You can get an H105 as well, the performance of that is on par with the H110 because of its thicker rad and less fin density. Also its cheaper over here.

After spending most of my 30 years of existence in Audio, I'd say I somewhat came to a level where I can discern what's a good sound and what's not sounding Natural and flat. But it's never of a pro level. I can tune a system to sound good for me but people might hear em differently.

You can work out to make a cheap system sound as natural as they can but you'll have to understand there are lot of factors limiting you to do so. Equipment, environment and stuff. I've learned from a tech once that for you to tune your sound quality, pick a properly tuned instrument and imitate that in to your system.

Anyway, here's my daily "CAN" . It's a neat sounding headphone that produces loud enough output from my N7 2013's built-in player. (No mods nor equalization here) but it's weak points were Punch and Attack. The Bass is missing some of the lo-mids (around 250 Hz) and the suddenness on the mid-highs (3KHz) that I am gasping for for the Rock and Metals. But it's very well relaxing to my ears on Alternatives and the Vocals were crisp and pure.

For the Price, I can't and have nothing to clamor about it. Maybe a little punch on the Bass and a little muted hardware noise could make this better but that's just about it. The Pads were comfortable on my big head, the sound is not harsh, the volume is just enough. I mean, I could not ask for more. thumb.gif

I just need some isolation when using the public transport (I don't care, can't hear you say) and enjoy some refreshing tunes each morning.

And yes, the cables were very long! But I braided 'em. thumb.gif
Edited by mus1mus - 7/1/14 at 8:25am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club