Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club - Page 343

post #3421 of 12377
Hey, urm, i'm not having any stabilizy issues, i left prime on for an hour and 10 mins, but temps never went higher than 48 on both CPU and NB, the CPU cores all read out at 42c max. I'll do as you suggested though, my ram is rated at 1565mhz atm i think so isnt too bad.

I should mention i've been running games fine too like metro2033 and tf2
Edited by TUG - 8/4/12 at 6:52pm
post #3422 of 12377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUG View Post

Hey, urm, i'm not having any stabilizy issues, i left prime on for an hour and 10 mins, but temps never went higher than 48 on both CPU and NB, the CPU cores all read out at 42c max. I'll do as you suggested though, my ram is rated at 1565mhz atm i think so isnt too bad.
I should mention i've been running games fine too like metro2033 and tf2

That's not long enough for a system stability test using Prime95. You need to run all the FFT's for prime to be of any use. When you open Prime95 tick the *Custom* bubble. Make sure the number of torture test threads to run is proper. (4,6 or 8 core's depending on CPU). Leave the min and max FFT size at default. Leave the Run FFTs in-place box un-ticked.

Now you need to set the memory usage. When Prime95 is running you want about 95% of system memory used(this included both OS/background apps and Prime95). So if your PC use's 2 gig's out of 8 at idle you want to set prime to use 5.5(ish) gig's of RAM for a total usage of 7.5gigs out of 8. Just tossed those number's out as an example, adjust them as per your RAM usage.

Then you can select how long to run each FFT. You want to leave this at 10-15 min.

Now you leave Prime running until it has ran all FFT's tests, how long will depend on your CPU/RAM speed's. I know my i5 2500k @ 4.7Ghz and RAM @ 1866 CAS 8 it take's around 17-18 hours and on my 955BE @ 4.0 RAM at 1600 CAS 8 and 2800CPU/NB it take's about 21 hours to run all FFTS.

This is the best way to use prime for a Stability test. If you are looking for a faster test you might try Linpack.

Another method to test your PC's thermal's is to run Intel Burn Test(with lots of RAM usage) and then while its running load up FurMark. This will put your CPU, RAM and GPU under stress all at the same time, let it run for like 10-15 min to see what your temps hit. This is how I have tested stability and Thermal performance for a while. Hope this helps you some.
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3423 of 12377
Hi, i turned down the mulipliers for my ram and cpu and put the frequency up, on first boot it bluescreened saying nonpaged memory error, so i upped the voltage to the Ram 0.05 and its been fine so far, i'll try what you have suggested and go from there, the clock speed atm is 3781mhz on the cpu.

If i'm really doing things wrong please tell me, but when i ask people they just confuse me and tbh finding information i can understand is difficult. I read that the nb frequency has to be set in a certain range for AMD chips for best performance and my previous nb frequency was too high and might have caused my BSOD.

Temps are fine so far and i ran a benchmark http://3dmark.com/3dm11/4046285 If you would like me to get pics of the settings i have in Bios and additional information to help me further then please just ask and i'll see what i can do.
post #3424 of 12377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUG View Post

Hi, i turned down the mulipliers for my ram and cpu and put the frequency up, on first boot it bluescreened saying nonpaged memory error, so i upped the voltage to the Ram 0.05 and its been fine so far, i'll try what you have suggested and go from there, the clock speed atm is 3781mhz on the cpu.
If i'm really doing things wrong please tell me, but when i ask people they just confuse me and tbh finding information i can understand is difficult. I read that the nb frequency has to be set in a certain range for AMD chips for best performance and my previous nb frequency was too high and might have caused my BSOD.
Temps are fine so far and i ran a benchmark http://3dmark.com/3dm11/4046285 If you would like me to get pics of the settings i have in Bios and additional information to help me further then please just ask and i'll see what i can do.

Its hard to tell people how to overclock. Personally I OC a gaming machine different than I OC a rendering/work machine.

For instance I don't overclock RAM on gaming machines. Its pointless and won't give any real world performance in my opinion(Exception being AMD APU's). I will OC the RAM in work based machines.

not to mention you can do simple basic overclock's or you can go totally nuts. Its best you learn as much as you can at your own pace and keep fiddling with it. At some point you get to understand how you like your machines to perform.

If you have some specific question(s) to ask we might be able to assist you a little better smile.gif What mobo are you on?
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3425 of 12377
Hi, yes sorry it's a 990FXA-UD5, Ram is Gskill Ripjaws X cl9.

I ran intel burn like you sugested and furmark at the same time and it was completely fine including temps with all my fans set to minimum. Highest temp recorded was 48 across all 3 cores, TMPIN0= 36c, TMPIN1= 55c, TMPIN2= 57c.

Intelburn says it's stable and the test was completed in = 5680.45secs. Not sure if that's good or a bad time?
post #3426 of 12377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUG View Post

Hi, yes sorry it's a 990FXA-UD5, Ram is Gskill Ripjaws X cl9.
I ran intel burn like you sugested and furmark at the same time and it was completely fine including temps with all my fans set to minimum. Highest temp recorded was 48 across all 3 cores, TMPIN0= 36c, TMPIN1= 55c, TMPIN2= 57c.
Intelburn says it's stable and the test was completed in = 5680.45secs. Not sure if that's good or a bad time?

The time is relative. Faster is faster, slower is slower lol. That is the hard part about optimizing an overclock. My sig rig is a good example. I can hit 5.2Ghz stable but its totally useless. No gains in performance what so ever after 5.0Ghz. and in gaming there is no benifit past 4.3Ghz. When I use rendering to test the performance of my OC's After 5.0 it actually slow's down some.

Some one else might be able to get performance benefit at 5.2Ghz in gaming, all depends on your system. If you want to know how much better your OC is doing then run IBT on bone stock settings and note the time's. Then ramp up your OC and see if your time's get lower or higher.

Same with testing game performance. Take note's of your FPS at stock settings then bump up the system and see if there is a noticeable difference. Having a Black Edition CPU(unlocked multiplier) is nice for this reason, it allows you many options when overclocking

Is your UD5 a revision with LLC or no?
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3427 of 12377
Hi,
My rig has gained a few FPS across the board, i ran 3dmark 11 and my score bumped up from 3400+ to that score in the link i posted, 3906. The boot up seems a bit faster (don't know if thats just me imagining it though).

Motherboard box states it is a Rev: 1,1? so unsure on the LLC?

I will write down my settings then run IBT again and note down the results of that too. Thanks for your help so far, as for stability, the rig was on running IBT on a second test and i opened programs like PS Ai and firefox <- memory munchers and nothing happened, no blue screen, no stalls. So what ever i've done seems to be stable?
post #3428 of 12377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUG View Post

Hi,
My rig has gained a few FPS across the board, i ran 3dmark 11 and my score bumped up from 3400+ to that score in the link i posted, 3906. The boot up seems a bit faster (don't know if thats just me imagining it though).
Motherboard box states it is a Rev: 1,1? so unsure on the LLC?
I will write down my settings then run IBT again and note down the results of that too. Thanks for your help so far, as for stability, the rig was on running IBT on a second test and i opened programs like PS Ai and firefox <- memory munchers and nothing happened, no blue screen, no stalls. So what ever i've done seems to be stable?


Your revision 1.1 should have LLC(load line calibration). This is good. The only real problem these mobo's have as a whole(ude3 5 and 7) is their VCORE Droop and boost. Vdroop and or boost is where you set your Vcore to a value. Lets say your running 1.40Vcore With out LLC set properly your voltage will actually drop or rasie under full load. My UD3 has no LLC and when I set my Vcore to 1.45v under full load my voltage drops by 0.10v to 1.44v.

LLC(I don't have) allows you to set a voltage offset so the voltage stays closer to what you set it as
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3429 of 12377
that is good news then, i'm unsure on what version my brother has, we have the same setup only his rig has a coolermaster V6GT cooling a 1090t, how can i find out what model/revision his board is?

I havent set it to stock and checked anything yet, i want to though as i dont know how long it will take me to get a 1090t or 1100t myself for this build, i intend to go ivybridge when i get my business going and a mac purely for work as i find my time spent designing takes a huge dive on a PC, i can't explain how so don't hate me for it.

anyway, i'll try and get more info to you and get this rig setup before the 1090t upgrade, i want some aerocool white sharks x2-4, and a better 200mm fan for the case in white then upgrade my main hdd to an SSD and so on and so forth.
post #3430 of 12377
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUG View Post

that is good news then, i'm unsure on what version my brother has, we have the same setup only his rig has a coolermaster V6GT cooling a 1090t, how can i find out what model/revision his board is?
I havent set it to stock and checked anything yet, i want to though as i dont know how long it will take me to get a 1090t or 1100t myself for this build, i intend to go ivybridge when i get my business going and a mac purely for work as i find my time spent designing takes a huge dive on a PC, i can't explain how so don't hate me for it.
anyway, i'll try and get more info to you and get this rig setup before the 1090t upgrade, i want some aerocool white sharks x2-4, and a better 200mm fan for the case in white then upgrade my main hdd to an SSD and so on and so forth.

The revision will be printed on the motherboard. I can't remember exactly where off had... By the PCI slots or in a lower corner I want to say. 1090t would be the better buy over a 1100t but both are good CPU's. Yes, LLC is a great thing smile.gif
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
Gizmoto
(18 items)
 
They beat me:(
(15 items)
 
Home Server V1.0
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II x6 1040t @2.7Ghz ASRock 880GM-LE FX  AMD Radeon HD 4250 integrated graphics Micro Center(ADATA) 8Gb (2x4) 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640Gb Samsung SpinPoint F4 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS-RK 500Gb 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
ASUS 24X DVD Burner ASUS 24X DVD Burner Stock AMD Cooler Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
OSOSPowerCase
Linux Mint (VM) Linux Ubuntu (VM) Inland ILG-500R2 500w PSU DiabloTek Evo Mid-tower Case 
Other
Inland IL internal card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › [Official] Gigabyte GA-990FXA-Series Owners Thread/Club