Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 6950 vs 6970?!?!?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

6950 vs 6970?!?!?!

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 
Ok, im hoping to get a new rig in time for the release of bf3/skyrim in november (thats gonna be an insane month ) . There are several questions i need to ask relating to my gpu-
1. Will the 2gb 6950 be able to handle these games full spec, with AA/AF and all the shiny stuff? I will be playing at 1080 x something (not sure of the exact dimensions of my tv) If not, will some simple overclocking help?
2. Is there any point trying to get a 2gb 6950 with the intention of unlocking anymore?
3. Could I overclock a non-reference 2gb 6950 like the twin frozr II/III, which has improved cooling, to meet or even surpass the stock core/memory clocks of the 6970, which would obviously render unlocking pointless?
4. If anyone knows about trends in gpu price drops, how much could I expect the 6970 to drop by november?

Other Specs will be (hopefully):

AMD Phenom II X4 965 OC~ 4ghz with ASETEK 510 LC
4gb Corsair XMS3
ASUS M4N68T-M V2 NF630A
1TB SATA-III hdd

5. Im not sure what PSU i would require for this setup - would 750w be ok?
post #2 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by blandstreetbloom;13605245 
Ok, im hoping to get a new rig in time for the release of bf3/skyrim in november (thats gonna be an insane month ) . There are several questions i need to ask relating to my gpu-
1. Will the 2gb 6950 be able to handle these games full spec, with AA/AF and all the shiny stuff? I will be playing at 1080 x something (not sure of the exact dimensions of my tv) If not, will some simple overclocking help?
2. Is there any point trying to get a 2gb 6950 with the intention of unlocking anymore?
3. Could I overclock a non-reference 2gb 6950 like the twin frozr II/III, which has improved cooling, to meet or even surpass the stock core/memory clocks of the 6970, which would obviously render unlocking pointless?
4. If anyone knows about trends in gpu price drops, how much could I expect the 6970 to drop by november?

Other Specs will be (hopefully):

AMD Phenom II X4 965 OC~ 4ghz with ASETEK 510 LC
4gb Corsair XMS3
ASUS M4N68T-M V2 NF630A
1TB SATA-III hdd

5. Im not sure what PSU i would require for this setup - would 750w be ok?


Hello and welcome =]

1: No.
2: I think yes.
3: Easily
4: Not much really.
5: 750w is more than ok.

Edit: I got a 6970 myself and I gotta say its a very very good card. But I can't handle all the games on all full.(Damn Ubersampling lol) But most of it this baby handles rly rly well.
Edited by BionicAcid - 5/23/11 at 4:05am
Farewell i5 o/
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Z68 Extreme4 Sapphire HD6970@1000/1500 Corsair Vengeance 1600 4gb x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSD OCZ Agility 3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits BENQ M2700HD 27" Enermax MODU87+ 800w 
Case
APEVIA X-Jupiter G Type Case-Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Farewell i5 o/
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Z68 Extreme4 Sapphire HD6970@1000/1500 Corsair Vengeance 1600 4gb x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSD OCZ Agility 3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits BENQ M2700HD 27" Enermax MODU87+ 800w 
Case
APEVIA X-Jupiter G Type Case-Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 36
DO NOT get that motherboard.

It's going to give you problems right out of the box and it's by far the worst choice you could have made with an Asus AM3 board. It costs <$70.

Spend a bit more on an Asus AM3 board and get a Phenom II X4 955 instead of the 965. The 955 is basically an underclocked 965, you'd be a fool not to go with it for the -$20 price tag.
Gaming System 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500K Asus Z68-V Inno3D GTX 570 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 Asus DVD/RW Drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit BenQ G2411HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair VX550 CoolerMaster 690 Advanced II NVidia Razer Deathadder V2 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming System 3.0
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500K Asus Z68-V Inno3D GTX 570 8GB G.Skill Ripjaw X 2133MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
3x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200.12 Asus DVD/RW Drive Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit BenQ G2411HD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 Corsair VX550 CoolerMaster 690 Advanced II NVidia Razer Deathadder V2 
Mouse Pad
Razer Goliathus Speed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicAcid;13605422 
Hello and welcome =]

1: No.
2: I think yes.
3: Easily
4: Not much really.
5: 750w is more than ok.

Edit: I got a 6970 myself and I gotta say its a very very good card. But I can't handle all the games on all full.(Damn Ubersampling lol) But most of it this baby handles rly rly well.

this

edited to add
4. could drop in price by then, $20 -$50 with rebates being offered as well
BIG DADDY!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-950 @ 4.0ghz HT EVGA-Classified-3 EVGA GTX-580 6GB Corsair Dom 2000MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Corsair Force-SSD--2TB-WD-BLACK windows7-HP Lg 24 inch RAZER. BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair-AX1200 HAF-X-942 RAZER-LACHESIS-5600 Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
Reply
BIG DADDY!!!!!
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7-950 @ 4.0ghz HT EVGA-Classified-3 EVGA GTX-580 6GB Corsair Dom 2000MHZ 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
120GB Corsair Force-SSD--2TB-WD-BLACK windows7-HP Lg 24 inch RAZER. BLACKWIDOW ULTIMATE 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair-AX1200 HAF-X-942 RAZER-LACHESIS-5600 Steelseries QCK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 36
Im not sure about BF3, but as for Skyrim, its been confirmed by Todd Howard that skyrim will be alot less demanding on hardware then its predecessor Oblivion because of the apparent new game engine.
post #6 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicAcid;13605422 
Hello and welcome =]

1: No.
2: I think yes.
3: Easily
4: Not much really.
5: 750w is more than ok.

Edit: I got a 6970 myself and I gotta say its a very very good card. But I can't handle all the games on all full.(Damn Ubersampling lol) But most of it this baby handles rly rly well.




lol ubersampling = ownage for everyone till they update that damn gpu usage problem.


p.s skyrim and BF3 will be incredible i can feel it wink.gif
The Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5960X 4.4Ghz Asrock Extreme4 x99 EVGA SC 1080 Ti EVGA SC Titan X ( PhysX ) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16 GB DDR4 2x Samsung 840 480gb, Intel 730 480gb and 2TB W... Bluray 12x 3D NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Epson 3D 6030D THX Front projector 140" Logitech G710+ Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Custom G600 SteelSeries Custom Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Beast
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 5960X 4.4Ghz Asrock Extreme4 x99 EVGA SC 1080 Ti EVGA SC Titan X ( PhysX ) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
16 GB DDR4 2x Samsung 840 480gb, Intel 730 480gb and 2TB W... Bluray 12x 3D NH-D15 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 64 bit Epson 3D 6030D THX Front projector 140" Logitech G710+ Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Custom G600 SteelSeries Custom Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 36
Get 2 1GB 6950s and you're golden. Right now it's only about 100-150 or so more than a single 6970 2GB.
Luminescence v2.2
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K 4.4Ghz @ 1.32v MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDI... 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz @ 3200m... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Spinpoint 1TB 240GB Patriot Blaze SSD Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M x2 - LG 34UM95 Razer Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake TR2 RX 850w Phanteks P400 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga 2014 Razer Goliathus LG Soundbar Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Wrath 
  hide details  
Reply
Luminescence v2.2
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5820K 4.4Ghz @ 1.32v MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDI... 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz @ 3200m... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
2x Spinpoint 1TB 240GB Patriot Blaze SSD Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Professional x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2412M x2 - LG 34UM95 Razer Black Widow Ultimate Thermaltake TR2 RX 850w Phanteks P400 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Naga 2014 Razer Goliathus LG Soundbar Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D Wrath 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicAcid;13605422 
Hello and welcome =]

1: No.
2: I think yes.
3: Easily
4: Not much really.
5: 750w is more than ok.

Edit: I got a 6970 myself and I gotta say its a very very good card. But I can't handle all the games on all full.(Damn Ubersampling lol) But most of it this baby handles rly rly well.

Im going to bet your putting on edge detect in CCC? Hardly any games can properly utilize this, all it does is reduce your performance by about 50% and gives 0 image quality boost lol. Because, i've got a 6950, and im playing current games max settings with no problems.
post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodean;13605629 
Im going to bet your putting on edge detect in CCC? Hardly any games can properly utilize this, all it does is reduce your performance by about 50% and gives 0 image quality boost lol. Because, i've got a 6950, and im playing current games max settings with no problems.

Nope. Currently at Standard setting. By saying can't handle I mean that I don't play 100% of the games at <60fps 1920x1080. Actually only Witcher I think hahahaha damn game!
Farewell i5 o/
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Z68 Extreme4 Sapphire HD6970@1000/1500 Corsair Vengeance 1600 4gb x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSD OCZ Agility 3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits BENQ M2700HD 27" Enermax MODU87+ 800w 
Case
APEVIA X-Jupiter G Type Case-Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Farewell i5 o/
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600k Z68 Extreme4 Sapphire HD6970@1000/1500 Corsair Vengeance 1600 4gb x2 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
SSD OCZ Agility 3 Windows 7 Ultimate 64bits BENQ M2700HD 27" Enermax MODU87+ 800w 
Case
APEVIA X-Jupiter G Type Case-Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 36
Just thought id add one more thing, just in case. Make sure your using 'AMD Optimized' Tessellation. If you manually set it to a fixed amount the performance hit is huge. which kinda sucks as it looks awesome all the way up lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › 6950 vs 6970?!?!?!