Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is it necessary to stress test for hours?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it necessary to stress test for hours?

post #1 of 32
Thread Starter 
What I am wondering is, Is it necessary to stress test longer then what I will ever have my PC running for. Because sure some people may feel it is necessary to have a build that runs perfect, but if I never plan to run the pc for more then a couple of hours at fall load is there any need to test it beyond that? And in that case could I be a bit more generous with my full load temp's.
post #2 of 32
A bsod or lockup can happen at any time. Just because it didn't fail after 2 hours of prime doesn't mean it won't fail while watching YouTube for 15 mintues.
post #3 of 32
No, it is not necessary. Unless your usual computer usage includes running your components at full load for hours on end, you're better off stress testing for 30minutes or an hour or so. If your overclocks/hardware/temps are stable for that long, chances are they'll be stable for what you're going to use them for.

Also, if you're gaming, your temps will NEVER get near what you see when you're crunching Prime95 or using Furmark. So, yes, you can get a bit more aggressive - just keep a logging program running to check your temps while you play. And if you BSOD or the OC fails, then you just redo it.
Eagle Five
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 PRO.B3 GTX 580 2x4GB G.Skill 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Spinpoint F3 RAID1 Koolance Exos2 Win7-64bit Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky PCP&C 750w Quad Antec P182 Logitec M500 
  hide details  
Reply
Eagle Five
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 PRO.B3 GTX 580 2x4GB G.Skill 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Spinpoint F3 RAID1 Koolance Exos2 Win7-64bit Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky PCP&C 750w Quad Antec P182 Logitec M500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 32
Not as far as I am concerned. Stress tests should be used to quickly find very unstable overclocks, and they do this job very well. Anything over 20mins shouldn't be necessary.

The only way to have a stable system is to run your usual programs, like games or folding and see if it crashes. Sometimes system's that are only slightly unstable will be ok during stress tests but will not fair so well with some games.
post #5 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip View Post
A bsod or lockup can happen at any time. Just because it didn't fail after 2 hours of prime doesn't mean it won't fail while watching YouTube for 15 mintues.
Doesn't mean it will either...
post #6 of 32
I don't see the point in these suicide 24hr stress tests either, it's really unncessary in my opinion. Unless you're working with documents/programs that absolutely cannot be risk the possibility of random BSOD/lockup, general use is fine to sort out stability after an initial, short stress test. I think this gives a more real use case scenario as well.
post #7 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggs2see View Post
Not as far as I am concerned. Stress tests should be used to quickly find very unstable overclocks, and they do this job very well. Anything over 20mins shouldn't be necessary.

The only way to have a stable system is to run your usual programs, like games or folding and see if it crashes. Sometimes system's that are only slightly unstable will be ok during stress tests but will not fair so well with some games.
This ^ is generally what i do myself. use these to test if your machine is blatently not stable, and if it isnt, use your usual software and see. Its usually personal preference though. Some people like torturing their components for hours on end.
post #8 of 32
You'll never know if your overclock is unstable if you don't do a 24 hr stress test.

Which will make troubleshooting other problems far more difficult.
post #9 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman23 View Post
I don't see the point in these suicide 24hr stress tests either, it's really unncessary in my opinion. Unless you're working with documents/programs that absolutely cannot be risk the possibility of random BSOD/lockup, general use is fine to sort out stability after an initial, short stress test. I think this gives a more real use case scenario as well.
It is also worthy to note that we get many many many posts about how xxx's system is 24-hour Prime stable, yet will crash when certain games or programs are used. Everything utilizes your components a bit differently and without testing your real-world, day-to-day applications, there's no way to tell if your system will become unstable.
Eagle Five
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 PRO.B3 GTX 580 2x4GB G.Skill 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Spinpoint F3 RAID1 Koolance Exos2 Win7-64bit Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky PCP&C 750w Quad Antec P182 Logitec M500 
  hide details  
Reply
Eagle Five
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600K @ 4.8Ghz Asus P8P67 PRO.B3 GTX 580 2x4GB G.Skill 1866Mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
2TB Spinpoint F3 RAID1 Koolance Exos2 Win7-64bit Samsung 226BW 22" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky PCP&C 750w Quad Antec P182 Logitec M500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 32
8+ of prime95 is whats considered proper. Because: some guy, somewhere, sometime said so. What more proof do you need
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › Is it necessary to stress test for hours?