New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RAID Card Needed

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Looking for a reasonable priced sata raid card, any suggestions?
post #2 of 7
Thread Starter 
Forgot to mention that I need the raid card to fit a pci-e x1 and to be compatible with SATA3.
post #3 of 7
What kind of RAID are you looking for (0, 1, 5, 10, 50)? Define "reasonably priced" (i.e. give a budget). Do you want hardware RAID or are you just looking to add more drives?
DREADNAUGHT
(20 items)
 
BELLATOR
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 OC G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
HGST NAS 4TB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" laptop drive Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell U3014 Dell WFP2407 Dell U2412 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX3000 Laser eVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Cooler Master Storm Trooper MX1000 
AudioOtherOther
Creative X-Fi Logitech Z5500 LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T9400 Intel PM45 Radeon HD 4670 8GB DDR3-1067 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO BD-ROM/DVD Burner Windows 8.1 Pro x64 16.0 RGBLED 1920x1080 
PowerCaseMouse
130w Dell Unit XPS 1640 Chassis MX1000/Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
DREADNAUGHT
(20 items)
 
BELLATOR
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k ASUS P8P67 Deluxe NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 OC G.Skill Sniper 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
HGST NAS 4TB Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5" laptop drive Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Windows 8 Pro x64 Dell U3014 Dell WFP2407 Dell U2412 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech MX3000 Laser eVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Cooler Master Storm Trooper MX1000 
AudioOtherOther
Creative X-Fi Logitech Z5500 LSI MegaRAID 9260-8i 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T9400 Intel PM45 Radeon HD 4670 8GB DDR3-1067 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Samsung 840 EVO BD-ROM/DVD Burner Windows 8.1 Pro x64 16.0 RGBLED 1920x1080 
PowerCaseMouse
130w Dell Unit XPS 1640 Chassis MX1000/Trackpad 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMonkey View Post
Forgot to mention that I need the raid card to fit a pci-e x1 and to be compatible with SATA3.
Why bother:
1) x1 PCIe will bottleneck more than one SATA 6Gb/s device.
2) Only SSDs benefit from SATA 6Gb/s
3) SSDs are limited on non-native/non-hardware RAID controllers.


What do you plan to attach and do? A reasonable is subjective.... hardware RAID begins at $150 new.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovereign View Post
What kind of RAID are you looking for (0, 1, 5, 10, 50)? Define "reasonably priced" (i.e. give a budget). Do you want hardware RAID or are you just looking to add more drives?
I would like to do a raid 0 on two Crucial M4 128GB.
Im looking for a hardware raid card for the two SSD's, starting a new build soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Why bother:
1) x1 PCIe will bottleneck more than one SATA 6Gb/s device.
2) Only SSDs benefit from SATA 6Gb/s
3) SSDs are limited on non-native/non-hardware RAID controllers.


What do you plan to attach and do? A reasonable is subjective.... hardware RAID begins at $150 new.
Just two Crucial M4 128GB for OS. I like to keep my budget below the $200 mark.

What if i move the card to a pci x8 slot? Will there be less of a bottleneck?
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalMonkey View Post
Just two Crucial M4 128GB for OS. I like to keep my budget below the $200 mark.

What if i move the card to a pci x8 slot? Will there be less of a bottleneck?
What motherboard do you have now?

You won't see much benefit from a hardware controller with just two SSDs in RAID0.

Most controllers in your require performance range are x4 or x8 PCIe.
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Once again...
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 [4.28GHz, HT] Asus P6T + Broadcom NetXtreme II VisionTek HD5850 [900/1200] + Galaxy GT240 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw X [1632 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel X25-M 160GB + 3xRAID0 500GB 7200.12 Window 7 Pro 64 Acer H243H + Samsung 226BW XARMOR-U9BL  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec Truepower New 750W Li Lian PC-V2100 [10x120mm fans] Logitech G9 X-Trac Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
What motherboard do you have now?

You won't see much benefit from a hardware controller with just two SSDs in RAID0.

Most controllers in your require performance range are x4 or x8 PCIe.
Yea, I decided not to go with raid0 ssd's. Im just going with 256GB Crucial M4.

Thanks anyway.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: RAID Controllers and Software