Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › motherboard dieing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

motherboard dieing?

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
i can unlock my cpu to a quad and leave it stock clocks and voltages and game all day long but if i overclock it at all after 15 minutes in crysis 2 or GTA 4 the pc turns ff like someone yanked out the power cord and i cant turn it back on for like 15-20 seconds. but if i leave it as a triple core i can overclock to 3Ghz and not have a problem.

whats going on it has the be the motherboard right?
it also does this if i run more than 1 stick of ram at a time.
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66;13618789 
i can unlock my cpu to a quad and leave it stock clocks and voltages and game all day long but if i overclock it at all after 15 minutes in crysis 2 or GTA 4 the pc turns ff like someone yanked out the power cord and i cant turn it back on for like 15-20 seconds. but if i leave it as a triple core i can overclock to 3Ghz and not have a problem.

whats going on it has the be the motherboard right?
it also does this if i run more than 1 stick of ram at a time.

Seems like you're having a similar problem that this user is having. Most likely your board's cheap 3+1 phase VRM design not being able to handle the higher TDP of your unlocked CPU with 1.42v. Your motherboard shuts itself down to protect itself.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/943109-why-vrms-big-issue-why-choose.html
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/946407-amd-motherboard-vrm-information-list.html#post12462681
Old Reliable
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955BE C3 @ 3.82 GHz [1.404v Load] ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 [2.8 GHz NB @ 1.318v] ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws [1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 [Backplate Mod] [MX-2] Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H236HLbid  Logitech K120 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular NZXT M59 [5 x 120mm Fans + Rheobus Fan Controller] 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech MX518 ASUS Xonar DG + Logitech Z523 Turtle Beach Ear Force X11s 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Reliable
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955BE C3 @ 3.82 GHz [1.404v Load] ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 [2.8 GHz NB @ 1.318v] ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws [1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 [Backplate Mod] [MX-2] Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H236HLbid  Logitech K120 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular NZXT M59 [5 x 120mm Fans + Rheobus Fan Controller] 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech MX518 ASUS Xonar DG + Logitech Z523 Turtle Beach Ear Force X11s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazio93 View Post
Seems like you're having a similar problem that this user is having. Most likely your board's cheap 3+1 phase VRM design not being able to handle the higher TDP of your unlocked CPU with 1.42v. Your motherboard shuts itself down to protect itself.

http://www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/94...hy-choose.html
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherb...l#post12462681
no offense but where in the heck is everyone getting that my board has 3+1? your the 9th person to say that where are you seeing this? mine has 4+1 and mosfet cooling. its rated for 160 watts
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhalo66;13623187 
no offense but where in the heck is everyone getting that my board has 3+1? your the 9th person to say that where are you seeing this? mine has 4+1 and mosfet cooling. its rated for 160 watts

My bad, it looked to be 3+1, but that last one is colored gray for some reason...
Anyway, I doubt the heatsinks help that much. I would bet money that that board cannot support up to 160W. The reason they are able to claim that is because with the use of Over-Current Protection, the board can shut itself down to prevent damage (which is most likely what you are experiencing). The board will likely continue to overheat and shutdown. The fact that you can leave it at stock clocks and voltages and it will work fine just reinforces the assumption that the board cannot handle the higher TDP of the unlocked CPU + more voltage when OCing.
Old Reliable
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955BE C3 @ 3.82 GHz [1.404v Load] ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 [2.8 GHz NB @ 1.318v] ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws [1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 [Backplate Mod] [MX-2] Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H236HLbid  Logitech K120 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular NZXT M59 [5 x 120mm Fans + Rheobus Fan Controller] 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech MX518 ASUS Xonar DG + Logitech Z523 Turtle Beach Ear Force X11s 
  hide details  
Reply
Old Reliable
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
955BE C3 @ 3.82 GHz [1.404v Load] ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 [2.8 GHz NB @ 1.318v] ASUS ROG STRIX RX 470 2x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws [1600 8-8-8-24 @ 1.5v] 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
320GB WD Caviar Blue Sony Optiarc DVD RW AD-7260S ATA XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 [Backplate Mod] [MX-2] Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer H236HLbid  Logitech K120 OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular NZXT M59 [5 x 120mm Fans + Rheobus Fan Controller] 
MouseAudioAudio
Logitech MX518 ASUS Xonar DG + Logitech Z523 Turtle Beach Ear Force X11s 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazio93 View Post
My bad, it looked to be 3+1, but that last one is colored gray for some reason...
Anyway, I doubt the heatsinks help that much. I would bet money that that board cannot support up to 160W. The reason they are able to claim that is because with the use of Over-Current Protection, the board can shut itself down to prevent damage (which is most likely what you are experiencing). The board will likely continue to overheat and shutdown. The fact that you can leave it at stock clocks and voltages and it will work fine just reinforces the assumption that the board cannot handle the higher TDP of the unlocked CPU + more voltage when OCing.
i bet you anything thats whats going on with my ram. is there anyway to forcibly disable it like a pencil mod or something?
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
I think it is a 4+1 design... it should be decently heatsinked too on that mobo. OCP protection and VRM overheat/shutdown is a definite possibility though for random shutdown. Otherwise it could be plain instability; many have reported random shutdowns due to instability, many more have experienced random restarts (including myself)
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post
I think it is a 4+1 design... it should be decently heatsinked too on that mobo. OCP protection and VRM overheat/shutdown is a definite possibility though for random shutdown. Otherwise it could be plain instability; many have reported random shutdowns due to instability, many more have experienced random restarts (including myself)
oh okay then its nothing to worry about then just an unstable OC.
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
Tha Beast!
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770K 4.4Ghz 1.25V ASUS Z87 Sabertooth EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 iCX 2126/11GHz 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston 480GB SSD HGST 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 10 Home 64-bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
AOC I2269VW-B 22" Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2014 Corsair HX650 Corsair Vengance C70 Gunmetal 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Razer goliathus Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Audio PCIe 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › motherboard dieing?