Update 7. Cutting a new side window
When I first spotted the Shinobi, the first thing that popped into my head was "what an ugly window on an otherwise beautiful case!"
So let's change that, shall we? I got in my piece of smoked acrylic, stocked up on cutting wheels and masking tape, and got down to business. Up first, take off the existing window.
After that, it was a simple masking job:
Then I began drawing out my new design. I wanted straight and clean, so I ended up doing a simple square.
Cutting went really well considering this was only the third window mod I have ever done. You can see the one small nick in the paint on the bottom, but we will fix that soon enough.
I ended up settling on doing about a 3/8" wide strip all around the window. You can see the masking here.
.....and after painting......
....and finally the end result. In daylight you can see the strip clearly, but in average light, you can barely make it out. I am pleased with the results.
Next I ended up using epoxy to attach the window to the inside of the side panel. It is very sturdy, and there is no hardware needed, so the look is clean. I will show you soon. But first I decided that since I had the dremel out, I would make a quick cable management cut. This cut will allow me to run all of my fan cables, DVD cables, and hot-swap cables out of plain sight. Here is a before and after.
This will get some black u-channel on it soon. I also squared it up nicely with a file.
Thanks for watching!Edited by corky dorkelson - 6/2/11 at 8:58am