Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [XG247] Saint’s Row: The Third built ground up for PC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[XG247] Saint’s Row: The Third built ground up for PC - Page 9

post #81 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzye View Post
Saints row 2 was a mistake,it's like a drunk car with no wheels.
And yet many still were able to look past that and still find it fun (me included) so what does that say about the quality of the gameplay!?

Honestly GTA has moved so far away from this over-the-top style of action that the two games really appeal to different audiences now (as evidenced by this thread). I don't know if you can necessarily say one is better than the other but they are certainly catering to different types of gamers.

I for one (and I know Yahtzee agrees with me ) am really glad to see a game try to be fun first and foremost and build all its gameplay around that. With so much focus on reality and immersion in many of today's AAA games its really a breathe of fresh air - after all isn't gaming supposed to be an escapist experience!?
post #82 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylence View Post
And yet many still were able to look past that and still find it fun (me included) so what does that say about the quality of the gameplay!?

Honestly GTA has moved so far away from this over-the-top style of action that the two games really appeal to different audiences now (as evidenced by this thread). I don't know if you can necessarily say one is better than the other but they are certainly catering to different types of gamers.

I for one (and I know Yahtzee agrees with me ) am really glad to see a game try to be fun first and foremost and build all its gameplay around that. With so much focus on reality and immersion in many of today's AAA games its really a breathe of fresh air - after all isn't gaming supposed to be an escapist experience!?
Well I still like GTA IV free mode a lot, one of the best things in gaming.
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #83 of 120
wasn't saints row 2 practically unplayable no matter how powerful your PC was?

i remember it having a "fast forward" bug that volition didn't even care to fix along with MANY MANY others. they practically left the game in beta mode to this day.
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #84 of 120
If this game is truly optimized for PC, it will be the easiest $60 I part with. SR2 is one of my favorite PC games.
post #85 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlee7283 View Post
so is your idea of what a good computer is but we all are entitled to our opinions
When he thinks a game is bad, you KNOW its bad lol.
post #86 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post
Abstract thoughts? GTA IV was a terrible story. Only GTA SA had a good story.
In your opinion...


GTA to me has never been "You're a badass who wants to be the best regardless of what it takes". Every GTA game to me has been:

You've been betrayed by so-and-so, you're now on the bottom of the food-chain, at the mercy of drug-lords and mafia dons. All the odds are against you. Slowly, forging alliances and eliminating obstacles, you make your way up to the top. Eventually after a few more betrayals and plot twists, and a grand ending, you're on top of the world.

It's essentially an exaggerated "American Dream" story. From nothing to something. And while GTA has never been "realistic", it's always had enough sense and wit to at least be taken seriously. Sure Vice City had stereotypical Jewish lawyers and Cuban drug lords, but you still wanted Tommy to have his revenge. Sure, in San Andreas you had all these tongue-in-cheek advertisements and over-the-top personalities, but you still wanted CJ to avenge his family.
Same thing in GTA IV. You have the unbelievable cousin Roman and the unintelligible Little Jacob, but at the end of it all Niko has a serious conflict he needs to resolve, and you want to help him resolve it.


..Whereas in Saints Row everything and everyone is tongue-in-cheek. There's no sign of emotion in this game. I understand that many people may prefer this no-brains all-fun style of play, but to say that it caters more to "fun" than GTA is ignoring what fun is to many people. I enjoy Free-Roam in GTA IV more because the city has its own feel. I enjoy the story not because of what the missions have me do, but why I'm doing them. Yes, I missed all the crazy ***** in San Andreas, but I feel like I got more than enough in return. Especially since tBoGT adds most of what was missing (IMO).


Again, long rant, just expressing why I couldn't stand SR after being a long-time GTA fan. To me, it's lifeless. Some may like that, I don't.
post #87 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post
Abstract thoughts? GTA IV was a terrible story. Only GTA SA had a good story.
GTASA had a good story...yep...I liked Boyz N' The Hood too...but come on, better than GTAIV? The character development, voice acting and tone of the GTAIV story was brilliant. If you honestly say the story in GTAIV was "terrible"....than I'm sorry, I feel I can't waste my time talking to somebody who clearly has no idea what "good" is.
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
post #88 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzon View Post
In your opinion...


GTA to me has never been "You're a badass who wants to be the best regardless of what it takes". Every GTA game to me has been:

You've been betrayed by so-and-so, you're now on the bottom of the food-chain, at the mercy of drug-lords and mafia dons. All the odds are against you. Slowly, forging alliances and eliminating obstacles, you make your way up to the top. Eventually after a few more betrayals and plot twists, and a grand ending, you're on top of the world.

It's essentially an exaggerated "American Dream" story. From nothing to something. And while GTA has never been "realistic", it's always had enough sense and wit to at least be taken seriously. Sure Vice City had stereotypical Jewish lawyers and Cuban drug lords, but you still wanted Tommy to have his revenge. Sure, in San Andreas you had all these tongue-in-cheek advertisements and over-the-top personalities, but you still wanted CJ to avenge his family.
Same thing in GTA IV. You have the unbelievable cousin Roman and the unintelligible Little Jacob, but at the end of it all Niko has a serious conflict he needs to resolve, and you want to help him resolve it.


..Whereas in Saints Row everything and everyone is tongue-in-cheek. There's no sign of emotion in this game. I understand that many people may prefer this no-brains all-fun style of play, but to say that it caters more to "fun" than GTA is ignoring what fun is to many people. I enjoy Free-Roam in GTA IV more because the city has its own feel. I enjoy the story not because of what the missions have me do, but why I'm doing them. Yes, I missed all the crazy ***** in San Andreas, but I feel like I got more than enough in return. Especially since tBoGT adds most of what was missing (IMO).


Again, long rant, just expressing why I couldn't stand SR after being a long-time GTA fan. To me, it's lifeless. Some may like that, I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post
GTASA had a good story...yep...I liked Boyz N' The Hood too...but come on, better than GTAIV? The character development, voice acting and tone of the GTAIV story was brilliant. If you honestly say the story in GTAIV was "terrible"....than I'm sorry, I feel I can't waste my time talking to somebody who clearly has no idea what "good" is.
Because the idea of being a russian cab driver who kills people is boring.
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #89 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunechi View Post
Because the idea of being a russian cab driver who kills people is boring.
Yes, out of 5 total missions you spend actually DRIVING a cab...lol. Bellic Enterprises wasn't just cab services. This tells me you didn't even pay ATTENTION to the very story you're calling terrible. FOR SHAME.
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
Biggus D.
(18 items)
 
Leo Laporte
(13 items)
 
Shooter McGavin
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X6 Thuban 1090T @ 4GHz Asus Crosshair IV Formula 2x5870 in CrossfireX 2x4GB OCZ GOLD 1333MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x1TB Samsung Spinpoint, 2x1TB Seagate Barracuda Samsung Super Multi + Samsung BluRay LS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 2 x Samsung 2494SW 24'' 16:9 1080p 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Arctosa Silver Silverstone Strider ST-1000 Coolermaster HAF X Steelseries Kinzu 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries 11.5x12.2 Surface 
  hide details  
Reply
post #90 of 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Dizzle View Post
Yes, out of 5 total missions you spend actually DRIVING a cab...lol. Bellic Enterprises wasn't just cab services. This tells me you didn't even pay ATTENTION to the very story you're calling terrible. FOR SHAME.
So you didn't kill people in GTA IV? Interesting.
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
Tuned Up Gamer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 930 @ 3ghz Asus P6T SE Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti OC Corsair 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 LG DVD-R iBuyPower Cooling Windows 7 Home Premium 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG W2486L Black 24" Vengeance® K90 Performance MMO Mechanical XION PowerReal 700W PSI CyborgX 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Black Mousepad Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [XG247] Saint’s Row: The Third built ground up for PC