Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 570 vs GTX 480 And Issues & Concerns
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX 570 vs GTX 480 And Issues & Concerns

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 
Hey guys my GTX 480 seems to have a fault which is artifacting no matter the driver, clock speeds, voltage some games it can be huge and others its a minor thing where it will appear once in a blue moon but it still annoys me its there so ive got an option to RMA it however that card is not in stock and im not sure if it will be again but ive been offered a GTX 570 as a replacement should i go with that? Would it be on par with the performance of the 480 i.e. would that small lack of memory compared to the 480 give it a handicap? Also my 480 was a Super Overclock so im just wondering if i would be able to push the 570 to roughly the same speeds to not loose performance to the Super Overclock? i havent really got any more money to throw at the problem at the moment so thats why im staying around the same price range.
The only thing that was and is kind of tinkering away at the back of my mind is that the less Vram on the 570 will make it suffer at 1920 if i start applying AA/AF would it do anything towards that? The 480 ive sent back was a Super Overclock 480 so it was rather close performance wise to a 580 think mine got 5800+ in 3dmark and when i overclocked it, it got 6400 (275.27 Drivers which most people got a boost from) would i be able to get roughly the same performance as the SOC if i overclock the 570 aswell?? Another thing thats making me very weary of the 570 is that a fair few people seem to be having VRM issues on the 570 and when i say issues i mean them blowing into pieces even on stock voltages theres a Topic on here with the name of "Have you Killed a 570"
Dragon Rider
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 i2500K @ 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 OC With GTX 480 Cooler 2x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Sata III 6GB Seagate Windows 7 64Bit 1920x1080 Full HDTV 37" Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse One That Gloes Blue xP 
  hide details  
Reply
Dragon Rider
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 i2500K @ 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 OC With GTX 480 Cooler 2x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Sata III 6GB Seagate Windows 7 64Bit 1920x1080 Full HDTV 37" Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse One That Gloes Blue xP 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 17
Ask them if they can give you gtx 580.
Another option is to get gtx 570 and sell it. You may have enough cash to buy a good overclocking gtx 480 (used) from someone.
Crazy Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 920 D0 4.1ghz HT Asus Rampage III Extreme Zotac GTX 660 Powercolor 7870 Tahiti LE CF 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Asus 6970 + 6950 (6970shader) CF Patriot Viper Extreme 3x2gb 2000mhz Kingston Hyperlink 120GB SSD, Crucial M4 64GB S... LG dvd writer 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Window 8 Professional DELL U3011 A01 DELL U2313HM X3 Steelseries 7G 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 850 Silver Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G9X Steel Series QCK 
Audio
Asus Xonar ST 
  hide details  
Reply
Crazy Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 920 D0 4.1ghz HT Asus Rampage III Extreme Zotac GTX 660 Powercolor 7870 Tahiti LE CF 
GraphicsRAMHard DriveOptical Drive
Asus 6970 + 6950 (6970shader) CF Patriot Viper Extreme 3x2gb 2000mhz Kingston Hyperlink 120GB SSD, Crucial M4 64GB S... LG dvd writer 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Window 8 Professional DELL U3011 A01 DELL U2313HM X3 Steelseries 7G 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 850 Silver Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G9X Steel Series QCK 
Audio
Asus Xonar ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyatom View Post
Ask them if they can give you gtx 580.
Another option is to get gtx 570 and sell it. You may have enough cash to buy a good overclocking gtx 480 (used) from someone.
I'd do this. You could almost get a new GTX 480 for the price of a 560 Ti.
post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Id love to get a GTX 580 =) but ive just not got the extra £100-120 at the moment got a few things going on and thats the reason i got the SOC 480 because of the fact it can keep up with a 580 but its hard to find them especially in the UK i got mine from OCUK but on their forums theres a few people who are having problems with their replacements for RMA'd SOC's that there Artifacting, i wouldnt mind upping the voltage if it gets it to stop artifacting and stable but that means theres less of a chance to OC it a little more again, people are saying the 570 is a 480 with less memory and cooler, less power consumption is that right? and would i be able to get it around about the same performance as the SOC or is it worth trying to get another Replacement 480 SOC from OCUK which there is a strong chance it coming back Artifacty or Faulty. Havent really got time to waste with sending them back you see as its right near the end of my uni course and i need my rig up and running for rigorous typing lol but i cant afford to loose more time RMA'ing another card
Dragon Rider
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 i2500K @ 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 OC With GTX 480 Cooler 2x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Sata III 6GB Seagate Windows 7 64Bit 1920x1080 Full HDTV 37" Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse One That Gloes Blue xP 
  hide details  
Reply
Dragon Rider
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 i2500K @ 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 OC With GTX 480 Cooler 2x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Sata III 6GB Seagate Windows 7 64Bit 1920x1080 Full HDTV 37" Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse One That Gloes Blue xP 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 17
the 570 has issues...

the main one being the VRMs are poor quality and tend to die...

so 480 or 580... that is all i would replace it with...

also.. just grab a stock 480... aka a non OCed one...

they tend to last better..
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgoes2001 View Post
the 570 has issues...

the main one being the VRMs are poor quality and tend to die...

so 480 or 580... that is all i would replace it with...

also.. just grab a stock 480... aka a non OCed one...

they tend to last better..
The 570 vrm issue is blown out of proportion IMO, it runs cooler than a 480 and vents more heat out of the back. I'm get the 570 I I were you, and OC it, and be happy. Ive not had many 480 setups beat my scores in benchmarks, ect unless they are watercooled. And I'm just have average cards, reference cooling, in a corsair 800D (bad airflow)
Water5930k
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k asus x99 pro/3.1 Fury Nitro OC+ gskill ddr4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
evo 1tb samsung 1tb hdd blu ray burner custom watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 preview Qnix UHD325 4K 32" ducky shine 4 EVGA 1600w titanium 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
enthoo primo Corsair M65 pro RGB logitech  bose speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
Water5930k
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5930k asus x99 pro/3.1 Fury Nitro OC+ gskill ddr4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
evo 1tb samsung 1tb hdd blu ray burner custom watercooling 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 preview Qnix UHD325 4K 32" ducky shine 4 EVGA 1600w titanium 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
enthoo primo Corsair M65 pro RGB logitech  bose speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 17
Optimouse: Welcome to OCN, first off

A word of advice though: Your posts are both Wall-of-Text collections of run-on sentences. In order to get the best advice here on OCN, you'll want to make your posts more inviting to the reader.

This means slowing down, creating proper sentences (with Capital letters to begin them), and breaking up your overall message into smaller, more concise paragraphs.

With the way it is now, many people (myself included) will just read a couple lines, then decide to just skip over it, feeling it would be too much work to try to plod through in order to make sense of it.
Edited by brettjv - 5/25/11 at 1:48am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
xeon X5675 6-core @ 4.1ghz (1.29v, 20x205 +ht ) rampage iii extreme msi rx470 gaming X (the $159 budget king) 3 x 2gb corsair xms3 pc12800 (9-9-9-24-1T@1600MHz) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
hynix 250gb ssd (boot), 2tb deskstar (apps),1tb... plextor px-712sa - still the best optical drive... corsair h8o v2 aio W10 home 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
asus vw266h 25.5" (1920x1200) abs sl (enermax revolution) * single 70A rail 850w silverstone rv-03 XFi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimouse Prime View Post
Hey guys my GTX 480 seems to have a fault which is artifacting no matter the driver, clock speeds, voltage some games it can be huge and others its a minor thing where it will appear once in a blue moon but it still annoys me its there so ive got an option to RMA it however that card is not in stock and im not sure if it will be again but ive been offered a GTX 570 as a replacement should i go with that? Would it be on par with the performance of the 480 i.e. would that small lack of memory compared to the 480 give it a handicap? Also my 480 was a Super Overclock so im just wondering if i would be able to push the 570 to roughly the same speeds to not loose performance to the Super Overclock? i havent really got any more money to throw at the problem at the moment so thats why im staying around the same price range.
The only thing that was and is kind of tinkering away at the back of my mind is that the less Vram on the 570 will make it suffer at 1920 if i start applying AA/AF would it do anything towards that? The 480 ive sent back was a Super Overclock 480 so it was rather close performance wise to a 580 think mine got 5800+ in 3dmark and when i overclocked it, it got 6400 (275.27 Drivers which most people got a boost from) would i be able to get roughly the same performance as the SOC if i overclock the 570 aswell?? Another thing thats making me very weary of the 570 is that a fair few people seem to be having VRM issues on the 570 and when i say issues i mean them blowing into pieces even on stock voltages theres a Topic on here with the name of "Have you Killed a 570"
Have you rma'd the card ?
Chewy's Chomper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k Asis Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 16GB Corsair vengence DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung M2 256gb nvme Custom loop, 360+120 rads Windows 10 64bit Asus 28" MG28UQ 4K 
PowerCase
Seasonic X series 750w gold Corsair 400c 
  hide details  
Reply
Chewy's Chomper
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 6700k Asis Z170 Deluxe MSI GTX 1080 Gaming x 16GB Corsair vengence DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung M2 256gb nvme Custom loop, 360+120 rads Windows 10 64bit Asus 28" MG28UQ 4K 
PowerCase
Seasonic X series 750w gold Corsair 400c 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Optimouse: Welcome to OCN, first off

A word of advice though: Your posts are both Wall-of-Text collections of run-on sentences. In order to get the best advice here on OCN, you'll want to make your posts more inviting to the reader.

This means slowing down, creating proper sentences (with Capital letters to begin them), and breaking up your overall message into smaller, more concise paragraphs.

With the way it is now, many people (myself included) will just read a couple lines, then decide to just skip over it, feeling it would be too much work to try to plod through in order to make sense of it.
Ah right ok sorry about that just got a little carried away . I will try to post like you suggested from now on .
Yeah Chewy ive rma'd it today so i have the option to choose a replacement SOC or the 570 with a Minor OC and do the rest myself but the VRM explosions are worrying me and the SOC 480's seem to have Artifacting issues unless overvolted which even then there isnt a guarantee that would get rid of them either
Dragon Rider
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 i2500K @ 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 OC With GTX 480 Cooler 2x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Sata III 6GB Seagate Windows 7 64Bit 1920x1080 Full HDTV 37" Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse One That Gloes Blue xP 
  hide details  
Reply
Dragon Rider
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 i2500K @ 4.6GHz Asus P8P67 Pro MSI GTX 570 OC With GTX 480 Cooler 2x2GB Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
500GB Sata III 6GB Seagate Windows 7 64Bit 1920x1080 Full HDTV 37" Saitek Eclipse Blue 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Coolermaster 1000W Silent Pro Coolermaster HAF 932 Advanced Microsoft Habu Gaming Mouse One That Gloes Blue xP 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgoes2001 View Post
the 570 has issues...

the main one being the VRMs are poor quality and tend to die...

so 480 or 580... that is all i would replace it with...

also.. just grab a stock 480... aka a non OCed one...

they tend to last better..
It's not a quality issue with the 570's VRM, it's a lack of power phases for the GPU.
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
 
ThinkPad W510
(12 items)
 
The Arkbird
(14 items)
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7 3840QM Quadro K2000M 4x8gb Intel 525 Series 240gb mSATA 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Tray-load DVD Factory Windows 7 Pro 1080P "Ultrasharp" panel 
KeyboardPowerCase
Integrated Big 'ol brick M4700 chassis 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 820QM 4318-CTO Quadro FX 880M 4x4gb 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
X-25M G2 DVD Stock Arch x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
1080P touch screen IPS Clicky Brick Adapter UltraNav 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4x Xeon E7440s HP DL580 G3 Motherboard Rev. 1.1 ATi Rage XL Samsung ECC DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
15K HP Ultra320 SCSI DVD Burner Bare Heatsinks + Chassis Airflow The Ever-Changing Distro... 
MonitorPowerCase
Only For Diagnostics.. 2x1300w (Redundant, Delta OEM) HP 4U Rackmount 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 570 vs GTX 480 And Issues & Concerns