Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Polk Monitor 60 Series II
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Polk Monitor 60 Series II

post #1 of 16
Thread Starter 
I've been looking for a new set of speaker and receiver for awhile now. I just noticed that newegg has these for pretty much crazy cheap. I currently have a old Pioneer Receiver with a set of CS-K535 speakers. Im not made of money, and I probably wont be able to afford a new receiver for probably a good month. My only question is, will the those speakers be able to be hooked up to my 2 channel pioneer receiver temporarily? I really dont understand why the speakers have 2 inputs. And Id rather not have them sit around for a month not knowing if they work.
post #2 of 16
Yep, you'll be fine. Those speakers come stock with brass brackets that connect the top and bottom inputs. I've always assumed on my Monitor 30s that the upper inputs are for the tweeter and the bottom goes to the midrange. Because of the metal brackets you only need to hook one set of inputs up.
post #3 of 16
It has 2 sets for bi-amping mids and highs. You wont really need to worry about that though. Just hook them as you normally would.
MIVE
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k (4.7ghz at 1.33v) Asus Maximus IV Extreme MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G Gaming  16GB(4x4GB) G. Skil Sniper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Asus dvd-rom (sata) Corsair H105 Windows 8.1 X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift Filco Ninja OCZ ZX1000W Silverstone Raven RV02 
MouseMouse Pad
Cyborg RAT 7  Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
MIVE
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k (4.7ghz at 1.33v) Asus Maximus IV Extreme MSI GTX 980 Ti 6G Gaming  16GB(4x4GB) G. Skil Sniper 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial M4 Asus dvd-rom (sata) Corsair H105 Windows 8.1 X64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus ROG Swift Filco Ninja OCZ ZX1000W Silverstone Raven RV02 
MouseMouse Pad
Cyborg RAT 7  Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 16
Thread Starter 
Do you think I would want to pair a sub with them for music? Ive been reading reviews all over the place, and some people say the bass is perfect for music. While other complain that they don't produce enough bass. Others claim that the monitor 70s are the way to go for a 2 channel setero setup, while the other half say the 70s are to muddy and deep. Reading all these reviews has just confused me more and made me more uncertain about getting them.
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst;13635139 
Do you think I would want to pair a sub with them for music? Ive been reading reviews all over the place, and some people say the bass is perfect for music. While other complain that they don't produce enough bass. Others claim that the monitor 70s are the way to go for a 2 channel setero setup, while the other half say the 70s are to muddy and deep. Reading all these reviews has just confused me more and made me more uncertain about getting them.

When it comes to speakers/headphones you'll always find contrasting opinions. Everyone's ears are slightly different, people prefer their music/movies to sound a particular way, and everyone has different experiences with other speakers to compare to. There's no one "right" opinion on any speaker.

If the speakers will fit your need, you like the look of them, and the general consensus is they're not completely junk then go for it. You'll drive yourself insane reading everyone's thoughts on them otherwise.
TITAN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz ASUS Maximus VIII Whetstone 1080 Ti Hybrid 16GB G Skill Trident Z - 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 950 Pro - Boot 1TB Samsung 850 Evo 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro ASUS PG279Q Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Corsair Carbide 540 
Audio
Schiit Gungnir (MB) -> Yamaha HS8 
  hide details  
Reply
TITAN
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz ASUS Maximus VIII Whetstone 1080 Ti Hybrid 16GB G Skill Trident Z - 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
500GB Samsung 950 Pro - Boot 1TB Samsung 850 Evo 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 Pro ASUS PG279Q Seasonic Prime Titanium 850 Corsair Carbide 540 
Audio
Schiit Gungnir (MB) -> Yamaha HS8 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst;13635139 
Do you think I would want to pair a sub with them for music? Ive been reading reviews all over the place, and some people say the bass is perfect for music. While other complain that they don't produce enough bass. Others claim that the monitor 70s are the way to go for a 2 channel setero setup, while the other half say the 70s are to muddy and deep. Reading all these reviews has just confused me more and made me more uncertain about getting them.

Even with the Monitor 70's that I have, I'm really glad I have the subwoofer for both movies and music. I dunno, maybe the receiver doesn't push them as much as it should.

Get the 60's, and if you think you can benefit from a sub, you can always get one later on.
RAWR
(13 items)
 
Home Server
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k msi z97 gaming 7 gtx 760 4gb 32GB GSkill  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD Hitachi 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M492-b2 Logitech Wireless  Corsair HX620 NZXT Phantom White 
Mouse
Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
RAWR
(13 items)
 
Home Server
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k msi z97 gaming 7 gtx 760 4gb 32GB GSkill  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD Hitachi 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M492-b2 Logitech Wireless  Corsair HX620 NZXT Phantom White 
Mouse
Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometoast;13644598 
Even with the Monitor 70's that I have, I'm really glad I have the subwoofer for both movies and music. I dunno, maybe the receiver doesn't push them as much as it should.

Get the 60's, and if you think you can benefit from a sub, you can always get one later on.

If the monitor60s are even remotely like my parents Onkyo PS-05Us I don't think a sub will be nessesary, unless I'm listening to some dubstep. Sometimes I think people overrate bass way to much. Living in a house with no basement, I like to think Ive learned to appreciate a more precise and lighter bass. Though I will be looking at a receiver that supports a sub, just in case they really don't put out enough.

I found this in a few post here and other sites and probably will be getting it depending on how the monitor60s preform with my pioneer receiver. Pioneer it just 2channel with no sub support.

Onkyo TX-8555
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryst;13652926 
If the monitor60s are even remotely like my parents Onkyo PS-05Us I don't think a sub will be nessesary, unless I'm listening to some dubstep. Sometimes I think people overrate bass way to much. Living in a house with no basement, I like to think Ive learned to appreciate a more precise and lighter bass. Though I will be looking at a receiver that supports a sub, just in case they really don't put out enough.

I found this in a few post here and other sites and probably will be getting it depending on how the monitor60s preform with my pioneer receiver. Pioneer it just 2channel with no sub support.

Onkyo TX-8555

I wonder what I'm doing wrong with mine then.

A Denon AVR1910 should power the Monitor 70's enough. (I do listen to a lot of dubstep/DNB though)
RAWR
(13 items)
 
Home Server
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k msi z97 gaming 7 gtx 760 4gb 32GB GSkill  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD Hitachi 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M492-b2 Logitech Wireless  Corsair HX620 NZXT Phantom White 
Mouse
Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
RAWR
(13 items)
 
Home Server
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4790k msi z97 gaming 7 gtx 760 4gb 32GB GSkill  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD Hitachi 2TB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 8.1 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Vizio M492-b2 Logitech Wireless  Corsair HX620 NZXT Phantom White 
Mouse
Logitech Wireless 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 16
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hometoast;13653574 
I wonder what I'm doing wrong with mine then.

A Denon AVR1910 should power the Monitor 70's enough. (I do listen to a lot of dubstep/DNB though)

Aren't the 70s rated for 20watt to 250watt or something? Have you tried bi-wiring them with that receiver? It might be because its a 7.1 and the front channels aren't rated for the right frequencies of bass? I honestly don't know, just throwing that out there.
post #10 of 16
If those actually hit 40hz well you won't miss having a sub that much, I have floorspeakers that dig down that low and I don't really need my sub for most music.

Subs are great though, and they don't have to be boomy. If you do it right they blend right in and just sound like extensions of your speakers.
Edited by PUKED - 5/27/11 at 10:23pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Home Audio
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Polk Monitor 60 Series II