Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Project: NUB TUB! My First Build and Watercooling
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Project: NUB TUB! My First Build and Watercooling - Page 2

post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmateo487 View Post
Now I am in the stages that are way less fun than building the computer...

Like.. I can't get audio out of the back of my motherboard. I have the drivers installed, etc, and in the sound manager I get output levels... but nothing through the cables..

I do get sound through the front panel though.... what am I doing wrong?
Just using the onboard audio, no sound card right? Do you get sound through the same speakers and cables when you move the plug from the back panel to the front panel? Speakers are powered up, volume not zero, mini jacks are all fully inserted? (Gotta ask about all the stupid easy to overlook stuff, sorry )

I have an ASUS board running the same audio drivers so I'm assuming the interface should be the same... you should see the realtek sound manager window pop up when you plug something in to an audio output. On the right-hand section of that window it should show you which sound ports have something plugged in. If the rear green output isn't lighting up when you plug the speakers in to it then you probably have a defective panel.
Edited by threephi - 5/27/11 at 10:54am
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 40
Looking like a great build so far! Congratulations!

For the audio stuff, another stupid question, but is the onboard audio set up in the BIOS? I believe its on by default, but you never know (I always disable it and use an add-in audio card).

For the fans, you've got the right idea, I don't know what the initial confusion was about in the first post. The PWM header on the motherboard gets plugged into the controller's 4 pin PWM input port (the one 4-pin set of wires with the blue wire). The other fans you can set up as you like... I'd say use splitters and run 2 per channel or more, you should be fine with wattage. When the lights are red, the fans are under PWM control (you should set up a fan profile that works for you in the Gigabyte motherboard suite if it supports it, if not, Speedfan can be made to do that), if you want manual control, you hit the buttons, they turn green, and the knob is the controller. It's one of the best upgrades in custom computer cases/modding in a while IMO.

You mentioned that your radiator has 3 GT AP-15s in push and 3 stock fans in pull? The HAF-X has only those giant 200mm fans. I've got 2 of those 200mm fans in pull up top with separate fans on my radiator, and it works fine. Are you talking about 3 120s in pull on top, or the stock 200mm fans in pull? If they're other fans, I would make sure they move similar amounts of air as the GTs, otherwise they'll probably be slowing the GTs flow down while making it louder, a lose-lose.

You'll definitely want to go with 2 6950 water blocks and the RX360 down the road (I know I did )

Check out my build log in my signature for my HAF-X Sandy bridge 6950 CF build, hopefully theres something in there to help you, and if you've got any specific questions, I'll check back here or feel free to PM me.
post #13 of 40
Thread Starter 
Yes, no sound card, using on board. I do get sound through the same speakers and audio cables that I get sound out of the front audio port, so all volume cables and speakers are working.

When I plug something into the green port on the back, the box pops up and the green audio plug does light up. I have checked all levels everywhere I can see and none seem to be muted or turned down low.

I was thinking maybe there is something I don't know about shorting wires that happens or is common. But I couldn't find anything useful googling... Because there are 200 million reasons why audio wouldn't work.

So if it is recognizing the cable plugged in and I am getting audio levels etc... What's a general direction I should be looking into? At the driver level? Maybe audio levels doing something funky? Or at the hardware level something shorting out?

Thanks for your help
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.GumbyM.D. View Post
Looking like a great build so far! Congratulations!

For the audio stuff, another stupid question, but is the onboard audio set up in the BIOS? I believe its on by default, but you never know (I always disable it and use an add-in audio card).

For the fans, you've got the right idea, I don't know what the initial confusion was about in the first post. The PWM header on the motherboard gets plugged into the controller's 4 pin PWM input port (the one 4-pin set of wires with the blue wire). The other fans you can set up as you like... I'd say use splitters and run 2 per channel or more, you should be fine with wattage. When the lights are red, the fans are under PWM control (you should set up a fan profile that works for you in the Gigabyte motherboard suite if it supports it, if not, Speedfan can be made to do that), if you want manual control, you hit the buttons, they turn green, and the knob is the controller. It's one of the best upgrades in custom computer cases/modding in a while IMO.

You mentioned that your radiator has 3 GT AP-15s in push and 3 stock fans in pull? The HAF-X has only those giant 200mm fans. I've got 2 of those 200mm fans in pull up top with separate fans on my radiator, and it works fine. Are you talking about 3 120s in pull on top, or the stock 200mm fans in pull? If they're other fans, I would make sure they move similar amounts of air as the GTs, otherwise they'll probably be slowing the GTs flow down while making it louder, a lose-lose.

You'll definitely want to go with 2 6950 water blocks and the RX360 down the road (I know I did )

Check out my build log in my signature for my HAF-X Sandy bridge 6950 CF build, hopefully theres something in there to help you, and if you've got any specific questions, I'll check back here or feel free to PM me.
Hi!

I will check the bios! Great idea.

Also! I love my fan controller so much so that I am returning it to get the rheostat 6 BUT I can't get PWM to quite work yet. When I switch it to PWM it just goes full speed. That might be because of how it is set in the bios and needs to be something I figure out.

As for the fans? By 3 stock fans I meant the 3 fans that came with my rad. So I have 6 120s on my rad in push pull and love it so far. But if they affect the GTs like you say I probably should order more.

And I read your build log! I'm so happy to see a crossfire setup! It seemed like eevveerrryyone was running sli. You have a great looking computer. And oh man.. Those temps and info on fan noise... Making me want to put my cards under water really bad
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmateo487 View Post
Hi!

I will check the bios! Great idea.

Also! I love my fan controller so much so that I am returning it to get the rheostat 6 BUT I can't get PWM to quite work yet. When I switch it to PWM it just goes full speed. That might be because of how it is set in the bios and needs to be something I figure out.
Do you mean the Rheosmart6? I imagine so. I had the Rheobus6 from them before, and it worked great, but no PWM. I wish I had a gigabyte mobo so I could help you figure out how to get PWM working, but alas, I do not. Check out MartinM's review of the rheosmart3 here in the forum and he and others have commented on using PWM on other motherboards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmateo487 View Post
As for the fans? By 3 stock fans I meant the 3 fans that came with my rad. So I have 6 120s on my rad in push pull and love it so far. But if they affect the GTs like you say I probably should order more.
Before going and buying more of anything, it's worth checking this review out if you haven't yet. It's written by our well-respected resident reviewer MartinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmateo487 View Post
And I read your build log! I'm so happy to see a crossfire setup! It seemed like eevveerrryyone was running sli. You have a great looking computer. And oh man.. Those temps and info on fan noise... Making me want to put my cards under water really bad
I'm glad to hear that what I wrote was read lol! Yes, I had to go crossfire to go with Eyefinity.. The fans were just so loud. At least you're using a non-reference cooler, so your cards should be quieter. The reference ones sounded like RC jet airplanes when running eyefinity. Thanks for the complements on the computer. I think it looks okay, and I'm definitely not showing the back-side of the computer. Cable management is NOT a forte of mine.

If you've ever got questions about your card, 6950/6970 cards in general, or about crossfire, this thread is a fantastic resource full of people with a great deal of knowledge about the cards.
post #16 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmateo487 View Post
Yes, no sound card, using on board. I do get sound through the same speakers and audio cables that I get sound out of the front audio port, so all volume cables and speakers are working.

When I plug something into the green port on the back, the box pops up and the green audio plug does light up. I have checked all levels everywhere I can see and none seem to be muted or turned down low.

I was thinking maybe there is something I don't know about shorting wires that happens or is common. But I couldn't find anything useful googling... Because there are 200 million reasons why audio wouldn't work.

So if it is recognizing the cable plugged in and I am getting audio levels etc... What's a general direction I should be looking into? At the driver level? Maybe audio levels doing something funky? Or at the hardware level something shorting out?

Thanks for your help
You are getting sound through the front panel from those same speakers, so I would guess that the audio chipset is already enabled... and the wires and speakers all work so it's weird that you aren't getting anything in a brand new windows install. I assume it's a new install since you just built it right? What kind of speakers are you using, just a R/L desktop pair?

Do you have anything plugged in to the front panel when you're trying the back panel? The rear-panel output is disabled by default when you use the headphone jack on the front panel. That setting is in the realtek audio manager, in the upper right corner under "device advanced settings".

Check the "speaker configuration" area in the audio manager to make sure it's set as the correct type ("stereo" if it's just a R/L pair--although anything plugged into the green port should provide output in all configurations, you might as well check).

Another thing to check is whether the speakers are disabled in the windows Sound control panel for some reason, or not set as the default device. Make sure the speakers are plugged in the rear panel and there's nothing plugged in the front. In the sound control panel, under the playback tab you should see "speakers" with a checkmark. When you select speakers with the mouse, the "set default" dropdown should be greyed out if it's already the default playback device. Click properties and at the bottom where it says "device usage" it should say "use this device (enable)".

You can plug and unplug stuff with the control panel and/or the audio manager open and you should see the speakers appear and disappear FWIW.
Edited by threephi - 5/27/11 at 2:19pm
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
Blinky
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-950 @4.034 GHz Asus Rampage III Formula GeForce GTX 770 6GB Crucial Ballistix 1600MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro SSD EK Supreme HF (full nickel) Danger Den Monsoon Dual-Bay Reservoir/Pump Win 7 Pro 64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410 Rosewill RK-9000 Seasonic X-650 Cosmos 1000 
Other
Lamptron FC5-V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post
You are getting sound through the front panel from those same speakers, so I would guess that the audio chipset is already enabled... and the wires and speakers all work so it's weird that you aren't getting anything in a brand new windows install. I assume it's a new install since you just built it right? What kind of speakers are you using, just a R/L desktop pair?

Do you have anything plugged in to the front panel when you're trying the back panel? The rear-panel output is disabled by default when you use the headphone jack on the front panel. That setting is in the realtek audio manager, in the upper right corner under "device advanced settings".

Check the "speaker configuration" area in the audio manager to make sure it's set as the correct type ("stereo" if it's just a R/L pair--although anything plugged into the green port should provide output in all configurations, you might as well check).

Another thing to check is whether the speakers are disabled in the windows Sound control panel for some reason, or not set as the default device. Make sure the speakers are plugged in the rear panel and there's nothing plugged in the front. In the sound control panel, under the playback tab you should see "speakers" with a checkmark. When you select speakers with the mouse, the "set default" dropdown should be greyed out if it's already the default playback device. Click properties and at the bottom where it says "device usage" it should say "use this device (enable)".

You can plug and unplug stuff with the control panel and/or the audio manager open and you should see the speakers appear and disappear FWIW.
Well!! After trying EVERYTHING, everyone suggested here, making sure every cable possible was in it's right spot, and that nothing was disabled... I couldn't figure it out...

So... when my SSD showed up today, and I had to reinstall? I just said a short prayer that it would work. Hahaha, and it WORKS. No strings attached. I guess thats the beauty of technology, we can do almost anything... but sometimes not very well.

Thank you for your help! All of the suggestions helped me learn a lot about audio connections, of which I knew nothing about.

As of right now... everything is working. I don't really know if I have everything with the best settings, or the HDDs in the best sata slots (something new to me. But I don't think I have any drives that will make any difference anyways.) and then there are a MILLION things to do to optimize an SSD. wow. lol.

Next thing on my list is PWM control...

But MAN this is fun! and was exciting for me the first time around! What a roller coaster ride...

p.s. Updating with more pictures in a few minutes
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 40
Best first build log ever! I love the narration. I wish we had a video of the soda thing!
Lappy
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P8700 Toshiba GM45 ICH9-M Intel 4 Series Samsung M4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Hitachi HTS723232L9A360 Matshita UJ880AS Windows 7 Pro 64 Toshiba A500-6621 
Mouse
Mionix Naos 5000 
  hide details  
Reply
Lappy
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
P8700 Toshiba GM45 ICH9-M Intel 4 Series Samsung M4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSCase
Hitachi HTS723232L9A360 Matshita UJ880AS Windows 7 Pro 64 Toshiba A500-6621 
Mouse
Mionix Naos 5000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 40
Thread Starter 
WELL... HERE IT IS!

Here she is I feel proud of my cable management... then I remember what it all looks like from behind... Kinda like a previous girlfriend of mine...

Edit: Photo Removed, something weird happened





This is the color scheme I was going with. Black and red, but a few cables and the heat pipes kinda messed that up for me... maybe ill cut them off or something.







Under the graphics cards cable management. Who cares?





Waterblock





More cable management and that dumb DUMB blue wire


Edited by Elmateo487 - 5/27/11 at 8:31pm
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
Nub Tub
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @4.7/1.36V Gigabyte Z68 UD4 2X Powercolor 6950's 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Vertex 2 120GB Windows 7 Asus 27'' Corsair HX850 
Case
HAF X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 40
You should use the provided clamps.
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k [4.7 GHz] Asus P8P67 Pro B3 [2001 BIOS] MSI 7970 Lighting [Stock] G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB [1600 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 2TB Raid 0 Cavier Black Windows 7 [Ultimate x64] [Dell U2412HM] + [HP 2311x] RosewillRK-9000 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Strider [1500w] Corsair 300R Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k [4.7 GHz] Asus P8P67 Pro B3 [2001 BIOS] MSI 7970 Lighting [Stock] G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB [1600 MHz] 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial M4 128GB + 2TB Raid 0 Cavier Black Windows 7 [Ultimate x64] [Dell U2412HM] + [HP 2311x] RosewillRK-9000 
PowerCaseMouse
Silverstone Strider [1500w] Corsair 300R Razer Deathadder 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Project: NUB TUB! My First Build and Watercooling