Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [FS] IBM’s Watson Now A Second-Year Med Student.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[FS] IBM’s Watson Now A Second-Year Med Student. - Page 5

post #41 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Watson needs robots to break into homes.
or human slaves..

I think this would just be good for a second opinion or for common diseases.

In case of a bit more complicated disease you can't a have a perfect diagnosis just by looking at the symptoms and family history.
Small Black Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955BE K9A2VM-FD ASUS GTX560 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 2 x 2 GB Platinum Edition 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm WD Caviar Green  CM N520 Cpu Cooler Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC P&C Silencer 610W CM Elite 342 Logitech G9x ARTISAN HIEN-Value 
  hide details  
Reply
Small Black Box
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II 955BE K9A2VM-FD ASUS GTX560 OCZ DDR2 PC2-8000 2 x 2 GB Platinum Edition 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm WD Caviar Green  CM N520 Cpu Cooler Microsoft Sidewinder X6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
PC P&C Silencer 610W CM Elite 342 Logitech G9x ARTISAN HIEN-Value 
  hide details  
Reply
post #42 of 58
the issue with the computer diagnosis is that a computer cannot use many of the key tools available to a doctor - it can't feel someone's stomach if it suspects appendicitis for example, or pick up on a light sweat, shaking hands or some other potentially key aspect of a diagnosis that an experienced doctor can. It relies entirely on what it's told about a subject, and if a department tries to save money by using inexperienced juniors in conjunction with the computer they could misdiagnose (or simply delay diagnosis with drastic consequences) conditions that a more experienced doctor would recognise easily.
post #43 of 58
So he's really good at prescribing pills and avoiding natural medicine alternatives? I believe second year med students carry logos of pharmaceuticals on their foreheads and walk around like zombies.
 
Golden Copper
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 3210M (3.1 Ghz) Asus G46VW.210 Nvidia GTX 660M 2GB (GDDR5; 950/1250) Intel HD Graphics 4000M 
RAMHard DriveMonitorMouse
8GB (DDR3; 800; 1T) 750GB (5200rpm) 14" LCD Gigabyte M6900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD PII X4 940 BE (235x14.5; 3.4 Ghz; 1.475v) ASUS M4A78-E (NB: 2585Mhz) ATI HD 7870 (3.839 GB; 1000Mhz core; 1200Mhz mem) Kingston 4G Dual Channel DDRII 940 Mhz (2x2G) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD10EZEX (1.0 TB) ASUS DVDRW +/- & BR R Scythe Ninja Cu Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 27" W2753V Logitech White Backlit CM 750w (60a @ 1x12v) Antec 300 
Mouse
Gigabyte M6900 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Golden Copper
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i5 3210M (3.1 Ghz) Asus G46VW.210 Nvidia GTX 660M 2GB (GDDR5; 950/1250) Intel HD Graphics 4000M 
RAMHard DriveMonitorMouse
8GB (DDR3; 800; 1T) 750GB (5200rpm) 14" LCD Gigabyte M6900 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD PII X4 940 BE (235x14.5; 3.4 Ghz; 1.475v) ASUS M4A78-E (NB: 2585Mhz) ATI HD 7870 (3.839 GB; 1000Mhz core; 1200Mhz mem) Kingston 4G Dual Channel DDRII 940 Mhz (2x2G) 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Western Digital WD10EZEX (1.0 TB) ASUS DVDRW +/- & BR R Scythe Ninja Cu Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 27" W2753V Logitech White Backlit CM 750w (60a @ 1x12v) Antec 300 
Mouse
Gigabyte M6900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #44 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
I'd still be a bit uneasy about a computer diagnosing me. Besides, if something goes wrong, you can't sue the computer for malpractice .
There in lies the nature of the problem. Imagine a world where doctors don't have to cover up malpractice because people actually respect and acknowledge that they're human and make mistakes too.

Imagine any "malpractice mistakes" being easily identified and hastily treated as doctors will not be concerned with covering up the mistakes to avoid crucifiction for being human.

Of course, when you make 6 figure salaries you're not gonna just walk away from that lifestyle because you "messed up" and unintentionally caused someone unnecessary suffering. Principle is insignificant in the face of losing one's job, one's means to provide for their family, and the source of being considered a successful person.

And imagine a world where crucifiction is actually in the forums spell checker despite the term's religious affiliation and dogmatic history. Hmm... good thing John Lennon is dead or I might get sued for all this imagining...
Power Tower
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC'd 4.2 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium Sapphire Radeon HD 6990 Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM LG 10X Blu-Ray Burner Windows 7 64 bit 3x27" ASUS VE276Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder Corsair HX1000 Antec 1200 Black Full Tower Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
Power Tower
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC'd 4.2 GHz ASUS P6X58D Premium Sapphire Radeon HD 6990 Corsair Dominator 12GB DDR-1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM LG 10X Blu-Ray Burner Windows 7 64 bit 3x27" ASUS VE276Q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder Corsair HX1000 Antec 1200 Black Full Tower Cyborg R.A.T. 7 
Mouse Pad
Razer Mantis 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntSoldier View Post
There in lies the nature of the problem. Imagine a world where doctors don't have to cover up malpractice because people actually respect and acknowledge that they're human and make mistakes too.

Imagine any "malpractice mistakes" being easily identified and hastily treated as doctors will not be concerned with covering up the mistakes to avoid crucifiction for being human.
This. Think how the world would be if you could sue a lorry driver and prevent him from ever working again if he scrapped your car down a narrow street. Or if putting a single letter in the wrong mailbox would mean a postman was never allowed to carry a mailbag again. Why doctors don't get a little slack is a mystery to me - they often have to make life or death judgement calls with little or no information, and can be sued whether they act or hold back if the outcome is bad for the patient. There's no taking the safe option - they have to do exactly the right thing, everytime, or their career is over and they could be sent to prison. All that often while working long shifts with unsociable hours dealing with people noone else wants to deal with.

Seems a harsh way to treat some of the most highly trained people on the planet...
post #46 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanPitts View Post
Hopefully Watson will be faster at a diagnosis than House is...
House never takes more than 44 minutes and you know it.
post #47 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by frickfrock99 View Post
you can't sue the computer for malpractice .

This would be reason enough to insulate every doctor in the US behind a Watson. With a stroke, it would solve half our healthcare funding problems.

Also, grey market drug pushers can't bribe a computer to prescribe their brand name. Although, they could bribe the programmers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
the issue with the computer diagnosis is that a computer cannot use many of the key tools available to a doctor - it can't feel someone's stomach if it suspects appendicitis for example, or pick up on a light sweat, shaking hands or some other potentially key aspect of a diagnosis that an experienced doctor can. It relies entirely on what it's told about a subject, and if a department tries to save money by using inexperienced juniors in conjunction with the computer they could misdiagnose (or simply delay diagnosis with drastic consequences) conditions that a more experienced doctor would recognise easily.
Well said.
Edited by willis888 - 6/1/11 at 10:06am
post #48 of 58
that'd be nice. diagnosis of problems via multiple choice answers or something. asking you questions and you fill it out. I like that idea.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7-5820k@4.2ghz Gigabyte X99-UD3P AMD 295x2 16GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120gb (OS), 2x 1tb WD Blacks R... LG Bluray CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro 120 Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
26" Emprex Logitech G15 CoolerMaster SPH-1300 Coolermaster HAF922 
MouseMouse Pad
CM Sentinel II CoolerMaster HSM Battle Pad SSK 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7-5820k@4.2ghz Gigabyte X99-UD3P AMD 295x2 16GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120gb (OS), 2x 1tb WD Blacks R... LG Bluray CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro 120 Win 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
26" Emprex Logitech G15 CoolerMaster SPH-1300 Coolermaster HAF922 
MouseMouse Pad
CM Sentinel II CoolerMaster HSM Battle Pad SSK 
  hide details  
Reply
post #49 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_haze View Post
So he's really good at prescribing pills and avoiding natural medicine alternatives? I believe second year med students carry logos of pharmaceuticals on their foreheads and walk around like zombies.
Spoken like a truly informed person!
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
post #50 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast View Post
This. Think how the world would be if you could sue a lorry driver and prevent him from ever working again if he scrapped your car down a narrow street. Or if putting a single letter in the wrong mailbox would mean a postman was never allowed to carry a mailbag again. Why doctors don't get a little slack is a mystery to me - they often have to make life or death judgement calls with little or no information, and can be sued whether they act or hold back if the outcome is bad for the patient. There's no taking the safe option - they have to do exactly the right thing, everytime, or their career is over and they could be sent to prison. All that often while working long shifts with unsociable hours dealing with people noone else wants to deal with.

Seems a harsh way to treat some of the most highly trained people on the planet...
My brother in law is an orthopedic surgeon at the Mayo Clinic, here's a great story of how screwed the US medical system is:

Patient comes in via helicopter evac, more or less dead. His heart stopped as the heli was landing at the Mayo so they got him onto a stretcher and started rushing him to the OR. My brother in law knew he would never make it that long with his heart completely stopped, it might have taken them minutes to even get paddles on him from where they were at that point...and paddles can't actually do much for a completely stopped heart anyway.

He jumped onto the guys gurney, pulled out a scalpel and slit through his ribs. Then stuck his hands into the guy's chest cavity and manually pumped his heart with his hand to keep him alive. The man lived because of Bruce's actions.

Afterwards, he tried to sue Bruce for breaking his ribs.
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
2P Workstation
(13 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Xeon E5 2699 v3 Xeon E5 2699 v3 ASUS Z10PE-D16 EVGA TITAN X 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
128GB Crucial DDR4 @ 2133MHz Intel 750 Series 1.2TB 4 x 4TB Constellation RAID5 2 x XSPC Raystorms 
CoolingCoolingMonitorMonitor
RS480 MCP655 Dell U3011 Dell U3011 
Case
Silverstone TJ07 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [FS] IBM’s Watson Now A Second-Year Med Student.